1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
mbusch22

Bronze

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Post by mbusch22 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:23 pm

kalvano wrote:
mbusch22 wrote:
traehekat wrote: it really is amazing how law school breaks people down. even after doing well and knowing you are doing the right things, law school still makes you feel like you are barely hanging on.
+1 on this. And Con Law makes me feel helpless for some reason, which is a miserable feeling.

Did you see the two outlines I posted? One is directly for Eads, and AWESOME.
Yeah, I did actually. Thanks for posting, that Eads one is really useful and really well-organized, especially for getting down to exactly what each case says.

Pretzel_Logic

Platinum

Post by Pretzel_Logic » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:46 pm

Well, all my outlines are started...and even though my head is back in the game now, my body is not cooperating at all this week. For the lose. Ugh, I can't wait to feel better so my eyes can stay awake as long as my brain wants to...

Yeah, I actually like law school, but good lord. It sneaks up on you with suckitude this time of year.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:49 pm

I am curious why people find Erie doctrine to be so difficult. Glannon seems to break down the Hanna two-part test pretty well and gives you the four ways a state law may conflict with a federal law or rule. It seems like a decent framework of analysis for the exam.

I ask because I am terrible at civ pro. This makes me think I'm missing something, especially since I've heard some of the smartest people on TLS complain about it.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:39 am

romothesavior wrote:I am curious why people find Erie doctrine to be so difficult. Glannon seems to break down the Hanna two-part test pretty well and gives you the four ways a state law may conflict with a federal law or rule. It seems like a decent framework of analysis for the exam.

I ask because I am terrible at civ pro. This makes me think I'm missing something, especially since I've heard some of the smartest people on TLS complain about it.
Mine broke it down in a way that's pretty easy but we didn't talk about Gasperini and some of the other cases that piss of other people around here.

In other news, I took up a nap and woke up at 10:30. Oops. I went to Starbucks and was in no condition to get my flirt on with the cute girl behind the counter.

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:45 am

kalvano wrote:
mbusch22 wrote:
traehekat wrote: it really is amazing how law school breaks people down. even after doing well and knowing you are doing the right things, law school still makes you feel like you are barely hanging on.
+1 on this. And Con Law makes me feel helpless for some reason, which is a miserable feeling.

Where did you post the outlines? In this thread?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:49 am

Thirteen wrote:
kalvano wrote:
mbusch22 wrote:

Where did you post the outlines? In this thread?

I cleverly disguised it with a title that would make you think of anything other than Con Law...

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=152319

Eco

Bronze

Post by Eco » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:29 am

Erie is not hard. You need to diagram it and it honestly becomes pretty simple, at least for the purposes of an exam (probably harder to apply in RL).

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:56 am

two weeks till my conlaw final, 3 till K's and 3.5 till property. I think I am going to spontaniously combust. I am so behind. This is the total opposite of last semester and either I will be amazed at my grades and never work myself to the bone again, or I will curl up in fetal position and cry all summer.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:52 am

Later TLS, mods banning me by request until May 10th. Good luck all!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:55 am

Always Credited wrote:
mbusch22 wrote:
The key to law school is confidence.

Confidence in your study method.
Confidence in your knowledge/application of the law on exams.
Confidence in speaking at moot court/mock trial/anything else.

I think its less that law school breaks people down, and more that law school (similar to most situations of intense stress/physical. mental exhaustion) shows people for who they truly are.

Those who aren't confident in themselves and their own abilities feel the greatest pressure at this time; if that's you, simply recognizing that part of your character and understanding it isn't your knowledge that is lacking but rather just your confidence in that knowledge will go a long way in preparing you not only for the exams now, but also (and more importantly) for the rest of the defining moments you'll face in life.
+1

Law school's just a psych test to see who has some steel in their spine.

Baylan

Bronze

Post by Baylan » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:11 pm

my brain hurts. 12 days til first exam, 21 days til last exam.

no desire to study, no desire to work, feel entirely unprepared as of right now.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:57 pm

Baylan wrote:my brain hurts. 12 days til first exam, 21 days til last exam.

no desire to study, no desire to work, feel entirely unprepared as of right now.
I feel the exact same way. Just made some flowcharts for Civ. Pro. to bring out my creative side and let me feel productive.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:25 pm

Less than two weeks before first exam. Going to the movies. Fuck it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:37 pm

seems that everyone is turning indifferent. is nobody READY TO GUN?!

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:49 pm

Mean to do a big chunk of con law. Instead went to the 1L games and watched my section lose. Tomorrow... will also probably be unproductive despite my best efforts. The trivia portion made me realize i know nothing. 1/30 questions right.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:49 pm

I'm so burnt out... Need to keeeeeep goooooinggggg (1 more month)......

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:53 pm

romothesavior wrote:I am curious why people find Erie doctrine to be so difficult. Glannon seems to break down the Hanna two-part test pretty well and gives you the four ways a state law may conflict with a federal law or rule. It seems like a decent framework of analysis for the exam.

If anything I think it's because it hasn't been consistently applied in subsequent cases; there were basically a whole bunch of splinters that came from following cases about what is actually substantive v. procedural for the purposes of the doctrine. I took Civ. Pro. last semester though so I'm not fresh with it and might be totally confused. I think that may be a reasonably accurate answer though...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:53 pm

kalvano wrote:Fuck it.
This seems to be the prevailing feeling among most here.

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:19 pm

You guys are crazy...flowcharting and shit with two weeks before final 1? I have my first in a week and my last in two weeks, and I've finally just locked down a little bit, haha.

But maybe I won't be laughing after I drop to bottom half of the class this semester, and am summarily unemployable for life.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:52 pm

If anyone is stressed right now this picture of a kangaroo in a suit should calm you down.
http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2011/04/03 ... 36x906.jpg

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:12 am

Always Credited wrote:You guys are crazy...flowcharting and shit with two weeks before final 1? I have my first in a week and my last in two weeks, and I've finally just locked down a little bit, haha.

But maybe I won't be laughing after I drop to bottom half of the class this semester, and am summarily unemployable for life.
I fucking love flowcharts

I made flowcharts for
- general jx
- specific jx
- summary judgment standard
- erie
- res judicata (in progress)

Anything else particularly amenable to flowchart?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:31 am

rad law wrote:
Always Credited wrote:You guys are crazy...flowcharting and shit with two weeks before final 1? I have my first in a week and my last in two weeks, and I've finally just locked down a little bit, haha.

I fucking love flowcharts

I made flowcharts for
- general jx
- specific jx
- summary judgment standard
- erie
- res judicata (in progress)

Anything else particularly amenable to flowchart?
CivPro-Jurisdiction is just about the best flowcharting a flowchart lover could possibly flowchart

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:38 am

Also, I have a weird compulsion with cutting my outlines down to be shorter and shorter...is this bad?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:16 am

Always Credited wrote:Also, I have a weird compulsion with cutting my outlines down to be shorter and shorter...is this bad?
If it's easier to use on the exam and the info you cut is truly extraneous, then no.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:42 am

taking today to basically read everything i need to know about the executive power with the chemerinsky hb. i've neglected conlaw so much this semester because our prof basically lays everything out pretty clearly in powerpoints and then after we finish a section she actually hands us an "outline" of the material from that section.

i figure everyone else is doing AT LEAST what i've been doing so far, so i better start doing something a little more (like actually reading...) if i want to salvage a decent grade.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”