1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
keg411

Platinum

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Post by keg411 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:18 pm

mths wrote:
king3780 wrote: I can't say how individual profs deal with it, but my guess is the ones that don't care just report to the dean that everyone in the class met the attendance requirement, the dean doesn't question it and submits it to the ABA and the ABA doesn't question it. If the dean or ABA says anything, the prof "lost" his attendance sheets or something like that. I think how strictly schools comply with the rule is a case-by-case basis. My school makes a big deal about. Other schools apparently don't.
attendance sheets? seriously? we have 55 minute classes and the prof starts talking on minute one and doesn't stop. Only way he'll know you're not there is if he calls on you.
It's the ABA. I'm sure schools can fudge their attendance stats just as well as they can fudge employment states :lol:.

Also, in two of my classes we filled out our attendance online.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:20 pm

This probably only happens at rancid TTT's that fear losing their ABA status.

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:22 pm

Desert Fox wrote:This probably only happens at rancid TTT's that fear losing their ABA status.
egregious Northwestern will stay accredited trolling

egregious and hilarious

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:25 pm

mths wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:This probably only happens at rancid TTT's that fear losing their ABA status.

egregious and hilarious
lol we are up for accreditation this year.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:30 pm

JCougar wrote:
dailygrind wrote: no matter how pointless? if you went into class and they were talking about rainbows and butterflies in civ pro, you'd still be attending? one of my classes this semester was pretty fucking awful, and if there weren't any attendance policies i would have attended probably about half of them.
I'm really only talking about classes where there are attendance policies. If there's no requirement to attend, you can use your own judgement. But schools have plenty of good reasons to impose their own attendance policies...part of it helps build professionalism.

I haven't had a class yet where it was worthless to attend, though. The one that comes closest for me also has the strictest attendance policy (no more than 3 absences all semester).
::shrug:: i pay attention to stupid rules when they're there (over 80% of the time, i was at the class that was worthless), but that doesn't mean i'm not justified in bitching and moaning about them.

also, CLASSES ARE OVER, HELLO READING PERIOD!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:33 pm

dailygrind wrote:
JCougar wrote:
romothesavior wrote:ITT: WUSTL outcasts try to cut down people at NYU out of spite and jealousy.
Hah. :)

I don't have any problem with people at NYU. Kudos to them. It just wasn't previously in the realm of possibilities in my mind that someone would blow off their classes to that extent there -- no matter how pointless classes are. If you ask me, that would be an incredible opportunity that I wouldn't want to waste.
no matter how pointless? if you went into class and they were talking about rainbows and butterflies in civ pro, you'd still be attending? one of my classes this semester was pretty fucking awful, and if there weren't any attendance policies i would have attended probably about half of them.
I learned nothing about civil procedure in my civ pro class. Hence the whole not going thing.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:35 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
mths wrote:

egregious and hilarious
Good thing original BP was deleted.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:39 pm

Holly Golightly wrote: Good thing original BP was deleted.
DF went universal. People on Xo know I go to NU.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:41 pm

Holly Golightly wrote: I learned nothing about civil procedure in my civ pro class. Hence the whole not going thing.
i spent $165 on supplements for civ pro. for every single other class put together, i spent about 45 bucks. my civ pro teacher was a brilliant man, absolutely phenomenal researcher, and generally pretty nice. however, he could. not. teach.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:42 pm

dailygrind wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote: I learned nothing about civil procedure in my civ pro class. Hence the whole not going thing.
i spent $165 on supplements for civ pro. for every single other class put together, i spent about 45 bucks. my civ pro teacher was a brilliant man, absolutely phenomenal researcher, and generally pretty nice. however, he could. not. teach.
In my evaluation, I actually wrote "I think it's safe to say I learned more about civil procedure from Joseph Glannon than I did from Prof. X."

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:43 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
mths wrote:

egregious and hilarious
So what are you going to do? Head back to Champaign or graduate from an unaccredited school?

ChattTNdt

Bronze

Post by ChattTNdt » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:44 pm

Done with Contracts. One exam down, four more to go. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and it represents 5:30 pm on December 10.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:45 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
dailygrind wrote:
In my evaluation, I actually wrote "I think it's safe to say I learned more about civil procedure from Joseph Glannon than I did from Prof. X."
canned outlines, student outlines, glannon, and the barbri freer lecture (phenomenal, btw)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:46 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
mths wrote:

egregious and hilarious
So what are you going to do? Head back to Champaign or graduate from an unaccredited school?
See if MinnesoTTTa will give me my scholly.

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:08 pm

dailygrind wrote:
JCougar wrote:
dailygrind wrote: no matter how pointless? if you went into class and they were talking about rainbows and butterflies in civ pro, you'd still be attending? one of my classes this semester was pretty fucking awful, and if there weren't any attendance policies i would have attended probably about half of them.
I'm really only talking about classes where there are attendance policies. If there's no requirement to attend, you can use your own judgement. But schools have plenty of good reasons to impose their own attendance policies...part of it helps build professionalism.

I haven't had a class yet where it was worthless to attend, though. The one that comes closest for me also has the strictest attendance policy (no more than 3 absences all semester).
::shrug:: i pay attention to stupid rules when they're there (over 80% of the time, i was at the class that was worthless), but that doesn't mean i'm not justified in bitching and moaning about them.

also, CLASSES ARE OVER, HELLO READING PERIOD!
where'd you get this clip of me?

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:11 pm

ChattTNdt wrote:Done with Contracts. One exam down, four more to go. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and it represents 5:30 pm on December 10.
Lucky you...I'm not done until 5:30 on December 17.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:16 pm

jbarl1 wrote:
ChattTNdt wrote:Done with Contracts. One exam down, four more to go. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and it represents 5:30 pm on December 10.
December 21st :( ... and we start back up on the 10th. My UG christmas break was 5 weeks long.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:18 pm

beach_terror wrote:
jbarl1 wrote:
December 21st :( ... and we start back up on the 10th. My UG christmas break was 5 weeks long.
6:00 PM December 22. Since there were no non-stop flights home, I have to stop in Chicago. If I get stuck @ O'Hare I will blame it ALL on NYU.

kxz

New

Post by kxz » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:22 pm

Last class for me today. Review class tomorrow!

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:45 pm

mths wrote:
dailygrind wrote:also, CLASSES ARE OVER, HELLO READING PERIOD!
i'm not positive, but it's certainly not from the snowbank outside your dorm.

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:10 pm

dailygrind wrote:
mths wrote:
dailygrind wrote:also, CLASSES ARE OVER, HELLO READING PERIOD!
i'm not positive, but it's certainly not from the snowbank outside your dorm.
:lol:

I don't know what you're talking about

<----- waterman alt

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:59 pm

Took the afternoon/evening off and relaxed and played bball. I'm gonna fail out.

I'm also so fucking out of shape, it's gross.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:05 am

beach_terror wrote:Took the afternoon/evening off and relaxed and played bball. I'm gonna fail out.

I'm also so fucking out of shape, it's gross.
Took a nap and went to a happy hour hosted by our professors. Ended up stressed about the fact that I'm not stressed about finals yet.

bostonian

Bronze

Post by bostonian » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:08 am

Anarchy is becoming more and more attractive.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:10 am

Went though an exam with a classmate that I like to study with. We essentially tried to outline and discuss what we would say in response to the questions without actually writing. We were able to hit nearly all the points in the model answer in a fairly short amount of time, so it was pretty encouraging. All the small points I missed were immediately placed into my outline and brightly highlighted so that I drill it for next time. Starting to feel better and better about civ. pro. next week. K's the week after is another story that I don't even wanna think about.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”