1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
GeePee

Silver

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Post by GeePee » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:22 pm

solidsnake wrote:Bet you all wish you read Thane's book now. Quick! There's still time!
LOL I forgot about that!

Cherith Cutestory

New

Post by Cherith Cutestory » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:34 pm

So I took a break from memo research to do a Civ Pro hypo (only in 1L...) and was feeling ok until I got to the last question.

Basically, the entire hypo was the normal proceeding through the case thing, and the trial ends with our client getting a judgment that she hasn't committed copyright infringement, and both sides agree not to seek appeal. The final question says that the opposing party comes back later and files a new claim in a separate state for copyright infringement. Instead of arguing claim preclusion (probably because my prof has been vocal about how he feels its a morass of unclear common law) we have to find some basis in the FRCP to challenge the suit without going to trial. He says he only used two sentences to answer. (As opposed to answer sheets, he 'helpfully' includes the number of sentences his model answer used, but that we can go over/under his amounts if we want.)

I don't know if I'm research-brain-drained, but I have no idea what he could be asking for. I don't know if he's fishing for a 12(b) discussion (I'm guessing not since it seems to satisfy the requirements), and I'm not really sure if you can Rule 56 with a past judgment on a claim as an affirmative defense.

Anybody got an idea? Or should I just go back to the Torts PTs I can actually handle?

inchoate_con

Bronze

Post by inchoate_con » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:04 am

beach_terror wrote:
LogosEther wrote: Well just to be clear, it's not a defense when the criminal misinterprets the law. Example:

Statute says "Stealing a cat is a class A felony, punishable by death." Guy steals a jaguar, thinking to himself, "a jaguar is not a cat, so I'll be good."

Not a defense.
Defense argument: stealing a jaguar is fucking badass, so he should be acquitted.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:30 am

Cherith, check out Rule 41(b). I just read about it all of a few minutes ago and it relates to claim preclusion (talks about a dismissal "with prejudice" vs. "without prejudice").

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:27 am

keg411 wrote:Cherith, check out Rule 41(b). I just read about it all of a few minutes ago and it relates to claim preclusion (talks about a dismissal "with prejudice" vs. "without prejudice").
Oh boy... you may not have gotten there yet, but 41(b) does little to no work for you. I'm not sure how your prof. wants you to get around it, but these issues are decided by specific federal common law (permissible under Erie).

I guess you could use 41(b), but it's only even arguably applicable when a Federal court rendered the original decision and another federal court is now deciding whether or not to yield preclusive effect to the original case. Even then, common law still basically controls, although all sources of the law more or less yield you the same result. Courts are supposed to give at least as much preclusive effect to the rendering court's rulings as that court would give, although more is arguably okay.

(Back to Cherith) However, if you wanted to avoid preclusion altogether, just use the compulsory counterclaim rule (FRCP 13(1)(A)). Clearly this suit is being brought out of the same transaction or occurrence as the original suit, and therefore the claim must have been brought at the time of the original suit, or not brought at all. Therefore, the Rules give you support without having to rely on "the morass of unclear common law," which makes good sense to me, but I could easily frustrating professors.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:31 pm

Independent contractors + vicarious liability = no sense to me. A note said that homeowners are liable to a roofing contractor if the roofers negligence causes hot tar to drop on someone walking by. What. the. fuck?

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:51 pm

beach_terror wrote:Independent contractors + vicarious liability = no sense to me. A note said that homeowners are liable to a roofing contractor if the roofers negligence causes hot tar to drop on someone walking by. What. the. fuck?
That doesn't sound right :| I thought independent contractors are supposed to be the ones that you aren't liable for, it's something about having substantial control over their actions or something like that

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:05 pm

stratocophic wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Independent contractors + vicarious liability = no sense to me. A note said that homeowners are liable to a roofing contractor if the roofers negligence causes hot tar to drop on someone walking by. What. the. fuck?
That doesn't sound right :| I thought independent contractors are supposed to be the ones that you aren't liable for, it's something about having substantial control over their actions or something like that
"Suppose homeowner hired a roofing contractor to replace the roof on his home and a passerby was injured when the contractor's employee negligently dropped hot tar from the roof. The bystander would be able to sue the homeowner through this exception to the rule that homeowner is not liable for the actions of independent contractors." The exception to the rule is inherently dangerous activities, apparently.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:13 pm

beach_terror wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
"Suppose homeowner hired a roofing contractor to replace the roof on his home and a passerby was injured when the contractor's employee negligently dropped hot tar from the roof. The bystander would be able to sue the homeowner through this exception to the rule that homeowner is not liable for the actions of independent contractors." The exception to the rule is inherently dangerous activities, apparently.
*Cue hands shooting into the air and accompanying groans of dread

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

stocksly33

Bronze

Post by stocksly33 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:15 pm

beach_terror wrote: "Suppose homeowner hired a roofing contractor to replace the roof on his home and a passerby was injured when the contractor's employee negligently dropped hot tar from the roof. The bystander would be able to sue the homeowner through this exception to the rule that homeowner is not liable for the actions of independent contractors." The exception to the rule is inherently dangerous activities, apparently.
3 possibilities:

1 - there is a duty rule for "traveler's on an adjacent highway"

2 - it is possible the act of pouring tar on a home with an adjacent thoroughfare, is a non-delegable duty. Non-delegable duties that apply include: inherently dangerous work, nuisances, and work performed in public places.

3 - this could be a premises liability issue

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:28 pm

stocksly33 wrote:
beach_terror wrote: "Suppose homeowner hired a roofing contractor to replace the roof on his home and a passerby was injured when the contractor's employee negligently dropped hot tar from the roof. The bystander would be able to sue the homeowner through this exception to the rule that homeowner is not liable for the actions of independent contractors." The exception to the rule is inherently dangerous activities, apparently.
3 possibilities:

2 - it is possible the act of pouring tar on a home with an adjacent thoroughfare, is a non-delegable duty. Non-delegable duties that apply include: inherently dangerous work, nuisances, and work performed in public places.

I think it falls under the bolded. To (hopefully) have this make sense, the homeowner can sue the contractor for the damages afterwards right?

stocksly33

Bronze

Post by stocksly33 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:37 pm

beach_terror wrote:
stocksly33 wrote:
3 possibilities:

I think it falls under the bolded. To (hopefully) have this make sense, the homeowner can sue the contractor for the damages afterwards right?
I also would bet it is a non-delegable duty.

I don't believe the homeowner can then sue the contractor (but I could be wrong)... Nondelegable duty is a bit of misnomer. It's not the duty that is non-delegable, but the liability.

Cherith Cutestory

New

Post by Cherith Cutestory » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:38 pm

I don't think he can sue for damages, but as 'joint' tortfeasor contribution is definitely on the table, and since its a case of direct liability v. vicarious liability he'll probably be able to indemnify the contractor/employee.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:39 pm

Cherith Cutestory wrote:I don't think he can sue for damages, but as 'joint' tortfeasor contribution is definitely on the table, and since its a case of direct liability v. vicarious liability he'll probably be able to indemnify the contractor/employee.
Assuming that's true, that at least restores some logic to that whole scenario.

Gatriel

Gold

Post by Gatriel » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:50 pm

lol @ all the kids who did "supplemental" reading the first month and a half of school and were the gunner of all gunners, whom are now burned out, and get hammed 4 nights a week.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:58 pm

Christ all mighty why did I wait so long to start outlining?

stocksly33

Bronze

Post by stocksly33 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:59 pm

Gatriel wrote:lol @ all the kids who did "supplemental" reading the first month and a half of school and were the gunner of all gunners, whom are now burned out, and get hammed 4 nights a week.
lol @ the slackers who justify their slacking by convincing themselves all the hard-workers are burning out. and lol @ "supplemental"

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:23 pm

stocksly33 wrote:
Gatriel wrote:lol @ all the kids who did "supplemental" reading the first month and a half of school and were the gunner of all gunners, whom are now burned out, and get hammed 4 nights a week.
lol @ the slackers who justify their slacking by convincing themselves all the hard-workers are burning out. and lol @ "supplemental"
lol @ loling @ others loling @ others who care what others are doing/have been doing

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:33 pm

beach_terror wrote:
stocksly33 wrote:
lol @ loling @ others loling @ others who care what others are doing/have been doing
--ImageRemoved--

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:42 pm

stratocophic wrote: --ImageRemoved--

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:47 pm

beach_terror wrote:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:48 pm

nooyyllib wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:49 pm

nooyyllib wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
stocksly33 wrote:

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:56 pm

stratocophic wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
stocksly33 wrote:
--ImageRemoved--

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:56 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”