2L Evening Scheduling

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
1Levening2013

2L Evening Scheduling

Postby 1Levening2013 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:59 am

I know the specifics vary from school to school, but generally, does anyone have any insight as to what to take second semester of your 2LE year? Or recommendations as far as what credits to balance?

i am definitely planning on taking corporations (a 4-credit class) so this is non-negotiable. but i don't know if i should pick up another 4-credit class + 2-credit class, or three 2-credit classes (i guess i'm just concerned if balancing three add'l 2-credit classes is too much/or if taking only one 'core' class and three 'non-core' classes is a bad idea)

any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Connelly

Re: 2L Evening Scheduling

Postby Connelly » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:52 pm

Your choices could be greatly constrained by what you're allowed to take. We faced a very limited selection of possible courses as 2L evening students at our school. Other schools may not have the same limitations on students who haven't completed all of their 1L courses. You should check that first to see how much of a choice you will really have to make.

If you plan to attend during summers, consider putting off to the summer what you can. At our school, our summer schedule is fairly limited and doesn't change a whole lot from year to year. So if we were to take a lot of the "summer" courses during the fall and spring, we may not be able to take much of anything during the summer.

One of the only other considerations apart from general class selection that all students face is that you will be taking these courses while taking 1L courses. Most people would consider it more important to do better in the 1L classes, so it is possible that you will not give 100% effort in your non-1L courses. So keeping the schedule limited and/or selecting classes that won't be as hard to keep up with (or won't punish you as much for not keeping up) might help.

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:16 pm

I'm not sure if you're working. I am, and 1L is a bear. I'm planning on taking 4-8 credits this summer so i can take 7-8ish credit semesters 2LE and balance everything a little better. Just a thought in case you have the time to take a class or two between May and September.

1Levening2013

Postby 1Levening2013 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:44 pm

thanks for the replies.

Connelly...i'm completing all of my 1L requirements this semester (1st semester of 2LE year), so i am pretty much free to take whatever i want now

tesoro...i am working, i did not take any classes this past summer b/w my 1LE and 2LE year, and really only plan on taking a 2 or 3 credit class this summer...i had 21 credits my 1LE year, and will have 21 credits at the end of this year, so the math works out that i really wont need a heavy summer burden. are you taking the heavy summer schedule simply to lighten the load over the normal school year?

anyone else with insight into taking two 4-credit classes v. three 2-credit classes, your responses would be greatly appreciated.

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:10 pm

1Levening2013 wrote:thanks for the replies.

Connelly...i'm completing all of my 1L requirements this semester (1st semester of 2LE year), so i am pretty much free to take whatever i want now

tesoro...i am working, i did not take any classes this past summer b/w my 1LE and 2LE year, and really only plan on taking a 2 or 3 credit class this summer...i had 21 credits my 1LE year, and will have 21 credits at the end of this year, so the math works out that i really wont need a heavy summer burden. are you taking the heavy summer schedule simply to lighten the load over the normal school year?

anyone else with insight into taking two 4-credit classes v. three 2-credit classes, your responses would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, exactly. I want to lighten the load. I misread your original question, I thought you were in the middle of 1LE and were considering what to take at the beginning of 2LE. Good luck - I'd say just take what seems interesting and/or relevant to the field in which you'd like to practice.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”