JUST SPILLED COFFEE ON MACBOOK...

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
kswiss
Posts: 391
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

Re: JUST SPILLED COFFEE ON MACBOOK...

Postby kswiss » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:13 pm

DUDE:

Go buy a massive sack of rice. Cover computer in rice. Wait 24 hours. Reboot.

This will fix most problems if the computer was turned off relatively quickly. The rice sucks out the moisture. I've done this with phones and cameras with excellent results.

Also: remove the hard drive and re-mount it in another computer or external enclosure (after completely drying it!). You should at least be able to get the info off.

Don't jump the gun. Make sure everything is completely dry before turning that shit on.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: JUST SPILLED COFFEE ON MACBOOK...

Postby JazzOne » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:16 pm

bk1 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:Thanks for this. I got a free copy of MobileMe that I haven't even opened because I wasn't sure what it was.


Doesn't it require a $100/yr subscription fee? Though that easily seems worth it.

A friend of mine bought a MacBook with some peripherals, and he also purchased (I assume) the MobileMe software. I then purchased the whole package from him before he used it. I actually have a box with the software in it. Do you get the first year subscription for the price of the software? Or is the software free and you only pay for the subscription?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18421
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: JUST SPILLED COFFEE ON MACBOOK...

Postby bk1 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:21 pm

IIRC, the software is free and you get one month free but if you want to keep using it you have to pay for a subscription.

User avatar
goosey
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Re: JUST SPILLED COFFEE ON MACBOOK...

Postby goosey » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:22 pm

you can also put the laptop in a giant sack of rice---it will absorb theliquid...leave it in there for like 3 or 4 days. works for cell phones, prob works for laptops too?

must be entirely covered by rice.

also, got dropbox after a very scary false alarm where I thought I lost all my work. its nice to have peace of mind

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2312
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: JUST SPILLED COFFEE ON MACBOOK...

Postby homestyle28 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:28 pm

kswiss wrote:Go buy a massive sack of rice. Cover computer in rice. Wait 24 hours. Reboot.

Eat rice while startup completes. Use remaining rice to absorb tears.

User avatar
2807
Posts: 579
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: JUST SPILLED COFFEE ON MACBOOK...

Postby 2807 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:29 pm

JazzOne wrote:
bk1 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:Thanks for this. I got a free copy of MobileMe that I haven't even opened because I wasn't sure what it was.


Doesn't it require a $100/yr subscription fee? Though that easily seems worth it.

A friend of mine bought a MacBook with some peripherals, and he also purchased (I assume) the MobileMe software. I then purchased the whole package from him before he used it. I actually have a box with the software in it. Do you get the first year subscription for the price of the software? Or is the software free and you only pay for the subscription?


There is no software. That is more marketing than anything else. There is probably a code# in there you will need to activate it with. Thats it! Just go to Apple website and find your way..

Also, if you have an iphone the MobileMe is a must. It will make your phone sync instantly with calendar/contact edits (like a blackberry). And you can get the free iDisk app for your phone and ALL your files are with you wherever you go. You cant edit them, but you can access and email them in a pinch to wherever you are so you can edit them then.... Trust me, it is awesome.

User avatar
ArchRoark
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: JUST SPILLED COFFEE ON MACBOOK...

Postby ArchRoark » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:51 pm

I am on my iPhone right now, but I will post a walk trough later. I higkyt doubt that your hard drive is fried. You should be able to easily savage your data.

User avatar
Iconoclast
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 10:10 pm

Re: JUST SPILLED COFFEE ON MACBOOK...

Postby Iconoclast » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:52 pm

kswiss wrote:DUDE:

Go buy a massive sack of rice. Cover computer in rice. Wait 24 hours. Reboot.

This will fix most problems if the computer was turned off relatively quickly. The rice sucks out the moisture. I've done this with phones and cameras with excellent results.

Also: remove the hard drive and re-mount it in another computer or external enclosure (after completely drying it!). You should at least be able to get the info off.

Don't jump the gun. Make sure everything is completely dry before turning that shit on.


TITCR

Rice makes a great dessicant, and an external enclosure only costs about 15 bucks and will essentially turn your hard drive into a USB drive and you can copy all your files off it.

goldeneagle
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: JUST SPILLED COFFEE ON MACBOOK...

Postby goldeneagle » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:55 pm

Someone spilled an entire cup of beer during a party on my Macbook... I used the "rice trick" for a few days, then turned it back on.

It works fine.

User avatar
achilles
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:08 am

Re: JUST SPILLED COFFEE ON MACBOOK...

Postby achilles » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:57 pm

I spilled a glass of water on my macbook 6 months ago and it was fine. I just soaked up what I could and turned it upside down for a while. My roommate also spilled a vodka and cranberry juice on her laptop and it was fine (although her keys were sticky, so she had to replace them.) So my point: there's hope! Laptops are resilient!

This is freaking me out; I will be emailing myself all my essays now, just in case.

User avatar
ArchRoark
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: JUST SPILLED COFFEE ON MACBOOK...

Postby ArchRoark » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:46 pm

I have no idea whether or not your laptop is salvageable, but it would be easy to salvage your data.

1) First you need to remove the hard drive from your laptop.
If you post the exact model year (i.e. Macbook Pro vs Macbook).. I can try and dig up exact instructions.
This link has instructions for a number of the Macbook Pro versions.
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2 ... 529,00.asp

2) After you have your hard drive removed, I would buy an external hard drive enclosure that accepts 2.5" laptop hard drives. I believe all the hard drives interfaces on MacBooks have transitioned to SATA but you will need to match your hard drive interface to your external enclosure interface.

SATA vs IDE interface:
Image

External Enclosure w/ SATA Interface
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817182138

External Enclosure w/ IDE Interface
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817182145

Other 2.5" External Enclosures from newegg.com:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... ageSize=20

3) Install the hard drive into your external enclosure and hook it up, usually via USB, to your computer. If you hook it up to a Mac it *should* auto-identify it and mount it (*Other computer geeks correct me if I am wrong... I don't have that much experience with Mac). If you only have a Windows machine to plug it into, you will need HFSExplorer or Macdrive. I have not tried either, but the former is free and the latter requires a product key.

Link to HFSExplorer:
--LinkRemoved--

* Load file system from device

This is because block devices in Windows are not as easily accessible as under UNIX-like systems. The user will be presented with a dialog where it can choose which partition to read.
The easiest way to find your HFS+ volume is to press the "Autodetect" button, but in case it doesn't work, you can specify the device manually. The naming scheme is as in the following examples:

* Harddisk0/Partition0 - The entire first hard drive
* Harddisk0/Partition1 - First partition on hard drive 1
* Harddisk0/Partition2 - Second partition of hard drive 1
* Harddisk1/Partition1 - First partition on hard drive 2

Hard disks are enumerated from 0 upwards. Partitions, on the other hand, are enumerated from 1 and upwards, with Partition0 representing the whole drive. Keep that in mind when looking for your Mac partition.
If there's nothing in the list, take a look in your system using WinObj from Sysinternals to see if you can find what you are looking for.


Then I imagine it should pop up a file explorer browser where you should be able to copy files from your Mac drive over to the host computers hard drive.

Let me know if you have any questions.

User avatar
let/them/eat/cake
Posts: 595
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:20 pm

Re: JUST SPILLED COFFEE ON MACBOOK...

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:53 pm

Whatisthis wrote:
bk1 wrote:Slurp it off.



Dude...

Seriously, does anyone know if I can recover my work?


if it won't turn out when you eventually try it, buy a firewire and turn it on in disk mode while having it hooked up to a mac that works. you may be able to pull files off it and save them on the other mac (and then to an external HD) even if the comp is so screwed that it won't boot up properly. GL dude.

User avatar
dextermorgan
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

Re: JUST SPILLED COFFEE ON MACBOOK...

Postby dextermorgan » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:39 pm

This is what Time Machine is for.

User avatar
savagedm
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:51 am

Re: JUST SPILLED COFFEE ON MACBOOK...

Postby savagedm » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:41 pm

rayiner wrote:Dude chillax. First, don't turn it on. Second, dry off the outside. Third, open it up and take out the hard drive. It is very unlikely that you got any coffee on the drive itself. Even if you did, the drive is sealed... it's very difficult to get anything in there. As for the machine, blow dry it very gently using the lowest setting and holding the dryer at a good distance from the machine.

After letting it dry for a day or two you should try putting the drive in and turning it on. Most likely the machine will boot right back up with no problems. If not, put the drive in another machine to get the data off.


TITCR, your drive isnt dead bro unless you drop kicked it in panic. I could shoot my computer screen with a .44 magnum right now and not lose ANY data. You want to know why? The motherboard/screen/keyboard/hard drive/disk drive, etc. are ALL separate parts that operate independently utilizing the mobo to sync them up. If the motherboard goes, the rest are fine 99.9% of the time with modern technology as the short will stop at the part it originates from. For instance, if I failed to put a heat sync on my processor or it goes out on me unexpectedly and my processor overheats and melts onto my motherboard, my disk drive will still work in another machine and my hard drive will work as a secondary hard drive when connected to another computer and set to the "slave mode". Once that happens you can simply copy and paste the files from there. Very simple, most people arent aware of this though for some reason.

User avatar
ArchRoark
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: JUST SPILLED COFFEE ON MACBOOK...

Postby ArchRoark » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:53 pm

savagedm wrote:Very simple, most people arent aware of this though for some reason.


Most people are technically illiterate. Just like most people don't know how to even change their own car's oil, air filter, break pads, or any other number of easy car maintenance tasks.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: JUST SPILLED COFFEE ON MACBOOK...

Postby ResolutePear » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:03 pm

First: Learn about this called Dropbox. Makes this whole thing a non-issue had you been using it:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=132533

Second: Had you had a Thinkpad T-series, the coffee would of drained out through drainage holes that are built into it for that reason.

Third: Take *that* Apple Fan boys.

Forth: Sorry for your loss.

Fifth: Get a Thinkpad.

Sixth: Nothing.

Seventh: I will get 250MB from you signing up for Dropbox. Do et.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: JUST SPILLED COFFEE ON MACBOOK...

Postby ResolutePear » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:07 pm

savagedm wrote:
rayiner wrote:Dude chillax. First, don't turn it on. Second, dry off the outside. Third, open it up and take out the hard drive. It is very unlikely that you got any coffee on the drive itself. Even if you did, the drive is sealed... it's very difficult to get anything in there. As for the machine, blow dry it very gently using the lowest setting and holding the dryer at a good distance from the machine.

After letting it dry for a day or two you should try putting the drive in and turning it on. Most likely the machine will boot right back up with no problems. If not, put the drive in another machine to get the data off.


TITCR, your drive isnt dead bro unless you drop kicked it in panic. I could shoot my computer screen with a .44 magnum right now and not lose ANY data. You want to know why? The motherboard/screen/keyboard/hard drive/disk drive, etc. are ALL separate parts that operate independently utilizing the mobo to sync them up. If the motherboard goes, the rest are fine 99.9% of the time with modern technology as the short will stop at the part it originates from. For instance, if I failed to put a heat sync on my processor or it goes out on me unexpectedly and my processor overheats and melts onto my motherboard, my disk drive will still work in another machine and my hard drive will work as a secondary hard drive when connected to another computer and set to the "slave mode". Once that happens you can simply copy and paste the files from there. Very simple, most people arent aware of this though for some reason.


Short Circuits on the IDE/Sata controller has been known to fry HD's by throwing/misaligning the heads. Don't really know the details of it, but it is known to happen.

User avatar
2807
Posts: 579
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: JUST SPILLED COFFEE ON MACBOOK...

Postby 2807 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:57 pm

No surprise that a Pear is talking you out of an Apple.

Beware: suspect fruit

User avatar
Gatriel
Posts: 2015
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:30 pm

Re: JUST SPILLED COFFEE ON MACBOOK...

Postby Gatriel » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:02 pm

Take the rice idea. I bet the computer is fine. My old MBP survived multiple spills with the rice trick.

Spend $100 a year on MobileMe. In law school its completely worth it.

User avatar
dextermorgan
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

Re: JUST SPILLED COFFEE ON MACBOOK...

Postby dextermorgan » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:02 pm

ResolutePear wrote:First: Learn about this called Dropbox. Makes this whole thing a non-issue had you been using it:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=132533

Second: Had you had a Thinkpad T-series, the coffee would of drained out through drainage holes that are built into it for that reason.

Third: Take *that* Apple Fan boys.

Forth: Sorry for your loss.

Fifth: Get a Thinkpad.

Sixth: Nothing.

Seventh: I will get 250MB from you signing up for Dropbox. Do et.

Oh please. If the MacBook had drainage holes they couldn't make it as thin as it is. The keyboard is the intake for the ventilation system.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: JUST SPILLED COFFEE ON MACBOOK...

Postby ResolutePear » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:09 pm

2807 wrote:No surprise that a Pear is talking you out of an Apple.

Beware: suspect fruit

:lol:

dextermorgan wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:First: Learn about this called Dropbox. Makes this whole thing a non-issue had you been using it:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=132533

Second: Had you had a Thinkpad T-series, the coffee would of drained out through drainage holes that are built into it for that reason.

Third: Take *that* Apple Fan boys.

Forth: Sorry for your loss.

Fifth: Get a Thinkpad.

Sixth: Nothing.

Seventh: I will get 250MB from you signing up for Dropbox. Do et.

Oh please. If the MacBook had drainage holes they couldn't make it as thin as it is. The keyboard is the intake for the ventilation system.


Thanks for pointing that out. Seems like the intake worked well with that coffee. OP's just thankful that this wasn't a day before finals.

Just because an anorexic person is thin, doesn't mean they did it the right way - and they'll probably end up dying prematurely because of it. Seriously, who the fuck cares if your laptop is 0.5mm thinner when you're assed out the night before finals without a laptop.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7248
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: JUST SPILLED COFFEE ON MACBOOK...

Postby beach_terror » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:19 pm

ResolutePear wrote:Just because an anorexic person is thin, doesn't mean they did it the right way - and they'll probably end up dying prematurely because of it. Seriously, who the fuck cares if your laptop is 0.5mm thinner when you're assed out the night before finals without a laptop.


+1

Thickness differences are pretty much irrelevant because THEY ARE ALL THIN COMPARED TO YOUR CASEBOOKS, SO AN EXTRA HALF INCH REALLY ISN'T GOING TO MATTER KIDS

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7248
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: JUST SPILLED COFFEE ON MACBOOK...

Postby beach_terror » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:22 pm

dextermorgan wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:First: Learn about this called Dropbox. Makes this whole thing a non-issue had you been using it:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=132533

Second: Had you had a Thinkpad T-series, the coffee would of drained out through drainage holes that are built into it for that reason.

Third: Take *that* Apple Fan boys.

Forth: Sorry for your loss.

Fifth: Get a Thinkpad.

Sixth: Nothing.

Seventh: I will get 250MB from you signing up for Dropbox. Do et.

Oh please. If the MacBook had drainage holes they couldn't make it as thin as it is. The keyboard is the intake for the ventilation system.


--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: JUST SPILLED COFFEE ON MACBOOK...

Postby ResolutePear » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:33 pm

Yep, that [/img] pretty much sums it up.

User avatar
savagedm
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:51 am

Re: JUST SPILLED COFFEE ON MACBOOK...

Postby savagedm » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:26 am

ResolutePear wrote:
savagedm wrote:
rayiner wrote:Dude chillax. First, don't turn it on. Second, dry off the outside. Third, open it up and take out the hard drive. It is very unlikely that you got any coffee on the drive itself. Even if you did, the drive is sealed... it's very difficult to get anything in there. As for the machine, blow dry it very gently using the lowest setting and holding the dryer at a good distance from the machine.

After letting it dry for a day or two you should try putting the drive in and turning it on. Most likely the machine will boot right back up with no problems. If not, put the drive in another machine to get the data off.


TITCR, your drive isnt dead bro unless you drop kicked it in panic. I could shoot my computer screen with a .44 magnum right now and not lose ANY data. You want to know why? The motherboard/screen/keyboard/hard drive/disk drive, etc. are ALL separate parts that operate independently utilizing the mobo to sync them up. If the motherboard goes, the rest are fine 99.9% of the time with modern technology as the short will stop at the part it originates from. For instance, if I failed to put a heat sync on my processor or it goes out on me unexpectedly and my processor overheats and melts onto my motherboard, my disk drive will still work in another machine and my hard drive will work as a secondary hard drive when connected to another computer and set to the "slave mode". Once that happens you can simply copy and paste the files from there. Very simple, most people arent aware of this though for some reason.


Short Circuits on the IDE/Sata controller has been known to fry HD's by throwing/misaligning the heads. Don't really know the details of it, but it is known to happen.


Those are usually instances where the liquid got under deep and into the actual connections themselves. I highly doubt this is a case, it's quite difficult unless it's a direct spill right on the portion of the board with the connection.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests