Does participation in school organizations matter?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
thrillerjesus

Does participation in school organizations matter?

Postby thrillerjesus » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:36 pm

Obviously there's a value in journals, moot court, clinics, externships, etc. What about student organizations? Is there any value added to a resume or useful experience gained by joining?

MVPson

Re: Does participation in school organizations matter?

Postby MVPson » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:47 pm

I don't participate in anything at my MVP. Got good grades instead. Going to V15.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:08 am

betasteve wrote:
thrillerjesus wrote:Obviously there's a value in journals, moot court, clinics, externships, etc. What about student organizations? Is there any value added to a resume or useful experience gained by joining?

De minimus value in networking. I wouldn't involve yourself in anything that would take effective time away from studying.

Such as sleep, fun, eating, or socialization. Locked room, books, computer and lamp = all you need.

thrillerjesus

Postby thrillerjesus » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:13 am

betasteve wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:
betasteve wrote:
thrillerjesus wrote:Obviously there's a value in journals, moot court, clinics, externships, etc. What about student organizations? Is there any value added to a resume or useful experience gained by joining?

De minimus value in networking. I wouldn't involve yourself in anything that would take effective time away from studying.

Such as sleep, fun, eating, or socialization. Locked room, books, computer and lamp = all you need.

And adderall.

I've got friends. Don't need clubs for that. Adderall might be useful though.

stayway

Postby stayway » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:34 am

MVPson wrote:I don't participate in anything at my MVP. Got good grades instead. Going to V15.

No experience really just a 1L but I think TITCR. At least that's what I'm trying to do.

howardsbest

Postby howardsbest » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:06 am

I think student organizations can be useful for scholarships, but they are only a good resume bump when you're on the E-board. Also it has to be relevant to the type of law you would like to pursue. Being president of the family law society most likely won't help you if you are applying for patent law jobs.

firebreathingliberal

Postby firebreathingliberal » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:20 am

I don't think they will help your resume on its face but the group, under certain circumstances can be helpful. If your SBA does a lot of events with alumni or if your IP law society holds events with IP attorneys in your city then there are good networking opportunities. Also, if you org does a lot of volunteer stuff that will help your resume. So they can be helpful but probably wont bump your stock within the four corners of your resume.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:32 am

If you're horrible at networking and somewhat antisocial, I would recommend taking advantage of one or two student organizations to meet people and keep from being a hermit. I did not participate in any organizations, and I had a tough time at OCI because my interview skills stink. I think I would have been more comfortable interviewing if I had done more networking.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:24 pm

If you want public interest you will need them

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”