1st Semester v. 2nd Semester

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
gustrock

1st Semester v. 2nd Semester

Postby gustrock » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:06 pm

Whats worse?
Last edited by gustrock on Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gwuorbust

Re: 1st Semester v. 2nd Semester

Postby gwuorbust » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:16 pm

gustrock wrote:I am a 1L, and was wondering if 2nd semester is less stressful than 1st semester, worse, or if 1L in general just sucks. I feel like this semester I have tried a variety of different study techniques, and may have finally found ones that work for me, therefore cutting down on unnecessary study time next semester. Any thoughts?

let me guess, by study technique you mean don't brief cases? cause that is what most 1Ls problem is at the start (or at least it has been here).

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:20 pm

It gets worse generally. People with bad grades freak out and reevaluate/work harder. Those with good grades taste the sweet sweet potential of getting LR -> market rate. 2nd semester was 100x worse for me (although I did a lot better grade-wise, I was one of those that reevaluated). GL!

goosey

Postby goosey » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:44 pm

i have a feeling my 2nd semester will suck badly since I have two five credit classes--con law and contracts, and then property at 4 cr. this sem I had crim [3 cr], civ pro[5 cr], torts [4 cr] and lwr[2 cr]--I also feel like I got VERY lucky with professors. none are strict socratic method users---the ones that do cold call are extremely nice and help you out/never strive to make you look stupid. I checked rateprofessor.com to see how my 2nd sem professors are and it seems like they kind of suck/are mean. all my professors this sem got awesome reviews and so far I'd agree with the reviews, but next sem is not looking so sunshiney!

solotee

Postby solotee » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:04 pm

I'm predicting 2nd semester will be worse in its own ways. I probably won't be as confused, but I know everyone else will be trying harder and become more efficient.

stayway

Postby stayway » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:07 pm

1L here; I dont even want to think about the second semester right now.

Game time in a little less than two months

Welp2277

Postby Welp2277 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:21 am

They're about the same. The reason is that at the beginning of 1st semester (or all of it for some of you) your study methods aren't down, you're generally confused about the best way to synthesize the information, and you have not taken a law exam yet. The professors know this, and while it might not have seemed like it at, they eased you into the law school experience.

Come 2nd semester you will be more efficient. You should have an idea of how you plan to attack all of your courses. However, there is no easing in period. You will be given more work than 1st semester, and there will be no easing in period; first day of class will be go time. Additionally, you will be looking for a job. You will have to get you resume in order, but mostly, you will be writing a lot of cover letters.

At least that's how it was at my school. It seemed to be about the same to me, but if you were to ask me during either semester which one was worse I would have probably answered the one I was currently in when you asked me.

RUQRU

Postby RUQRU » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:53 pm

So, anyone thinking about cashing out after exams? I mean with all the dread and hate maybe law school is not the right place to be.
Given that the market for lawyers is not going to be great for some time, does anyone think that the ritualized hazing known as law school is just wrong?

solotee

Postby solotee » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:00 pm

RUQRU wrote:So, anyone thinking about cashing out after exams? I mean with all the dread and hate maybe law school is not the right place to be.
Given that the market for lawyers is not going to be great for some time, does anyone think that the ritualized hazing known as law school is just wrong?

We had someone cash out first week of class. Non-trad.

I'm in it till the end.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:52 pm

RUQRU wrote:So, anyone thinking about cashing out after exams? I mean with all the dread and hate maybe law school is not the right place to be.

LOLWUT?

It's not that bad. It's no worse than working a real job in the real world.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:50 pm

This semester for me sucks balls. K, Prop. and Torts plus LRW and LP. Next semester is Crim Civ Pro and Con. Crim and Con law were the last 3 years of my life, hopefully I get to put this knowledge to use. Also, I can't wait to see some of the people who think they are god's greatest gift get their grades back. Maybe this will stop stupid questions such as "what if it was a motorcycle instead of a car?" "What if he devised to his lawful heirs and not just his heirs?" Please god, I hope so.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:13 pm

robin600 wrote:"What if he devised to his lawful heirs and not just his heirs?"

Please tell me your Property teacher told that jackwagon to GTFO of the class.

onthecusp

Postby onthecusp » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:24 am

nooyyllib wrote:1L here; I dont even want to think about the second semester right now.

Game time in a little less than two months

Fuck.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:50 am

robin600 wrote:This semester for me sucks balls. K, Prop. and Torts plus LRW and LP. Next semester is Crim Civ Pro and Con. Crim and Con law were the last 3 years of my life, hopefully I get to put this knowledge to use. Also, I can't wait to see some of the people who think they are god's greatest gift get their grades back. Maybe this will stop stupid questions such as "what if it was a motorcycle instead of a car?" "What if he devised to his lawful heirs and not just his heirs?" Please god, I hope so.

these ppl can never be stopped

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:24 pm

kalvano wrote:

LOLWUT?

It's not that bad. It's no worse than working a real job in the real world.

+1

I actually like law school more than my old job.

goosey

Postby goosey » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:03 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
robin600 wrote:This semester for me sucks balls. K, Prop. and Torts plus LRW and LP. Next semester is Crim Civ Pro and Con. Crim and Con law were the last 3 years of my life, hopefully I get to put this knowledge to use. Also, I can't wait to see some of the people who think they are god's greatest gift get their grades back. Maybe this will stop stupid questions such as "what if it was a motorcycle instead of a car?" "What if he devised to his lawful heirs and not just his heirs?" Please god, I hope so.

these ppl can never be stopped

I actually dont have anyone like that in my section [and no its not me...I hardly speak]
There are people that seem to like to hear themselves speaking but no crazy hypos ever

omninode

Postby omninode » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:38 pm

kalvano wrote:
robin600 wrote:"What if he devised to his lawful heirs and not just his heirs?"

Please tell me your Property teacher told that jackwagon to GTFO of the class.

This person is bound for great things.

President Jackwagon.

Baylan

Postby Baylan » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:45 pm

And I quote in my Crim class, talking about rape, "What about if the victim was dead?", "You mean necrophilia?", "Yes."

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:45 pm

Baylan wrote:

And I quote in my Crim class, talking about rape, "What about if the victim was dead?", "You mean necrophilia?", "Yes."

I wouldn't be caught dead with a necrophiliac.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:24 am

kalvano wrote:I wouldn't be caught dead with a necrophiliac.

:lol:

Also, see Slayer - 213

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”