ummm, wtf lrw memo? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Matix

New

ummm, wtf lrw memo?

Post by Matix » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:32 pm

So i just got back my first Legal Research/Writing memo and got a C+. Is this normal? I can't help but feel it was somewhat random after finding out some of my friends threw it together in 2-3 days and scored significantly better. My school is curved at a B- (2.8).

IAFG

Platinum

Re: ummm, wtf lrw memo?

Post by IAFG » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:33 pm

WTF indeed.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:35 pm

Graded LRW FTL. Sorry boss.

Matix

New

Post by Matix » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:54 pm

This is normal? Jesus...I'm definitely going to have to figure out what the problem is. I was just really confused b/c I pretty much went to every single one of my professor's office hours and asked for help. In fact, my professor went through it with me and helped me revise it. She even told me exactly how she wanted me to write certain sentences. I did exactly that and was marked off for being unclear when I got it back. Also, my school is curved at a 2.8. not a 2.coolsmiley.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:55 pm

Matix wrote:my school is curved at a 2.8. not a 2.coolsmiley.
orly?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:56 pm

Last edited by dood on Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nealric

Post by nealric » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:42 pm

Matix wrote:This is normal? Jesus...I'm definitely going to have to figure out what the problem is. I was just really confused b/c I pretty much went to every single one of my professor's office hours and asked for help. In fact, my professor went through it with me and helped me revise it. She even told me exactly how she wanted me to write certain sentences. I did exactly that and was marked off for being unclear when I got it back. Also, my school is curved at a 2.8. not a 2.coolsmiley.
I'm guessing if she was having to tell you how to word individual sentences, it was because they needed rewording.

toolfan

Bronze

Post by toolfan » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:09 pm

Cut yourself some slack. It's your first time writing a memo. Learn from your mistakes and do better next time.

LAWYER2

Silver

Post by LAWYER2 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:12 pm

Yea, I tanked my Open memo, and all I have to say is "Thank Gawd for the curve!" Legal writing is an art, not a science and apparently it takes some time to master the skill. I have had appointments with our school's writing coach, I just hope I can get some real constructive feedback when we talk about my bombed memo next meeting. :cry:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:16 pm

I would say don't worry too much for a number of reasons. Most important one is that this is your first memo it isn't expected that you be good at first. If any memo is going to be your worst, it will of course be your first one. Also, this one is probably worst the least of all your memos. So try and frame both of those as positives. Not only did you get your worst grade out of the way (so you have nowhere to go but up), but this one didn't really matter for all that much. If nothing else, review the hell out of it and get whatever feedback you can. If your writing prof. gave you C+ he obviously sees substantial room for improvement. Do whatever you can in the future to incorporate his/her suggestions.

Matix

New

Post by Matix » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:15 am

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'll probably be making an appointment with my school's writing adviser as well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”