When might the Coase theorem be applicable in 1L Torts..

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
SeymourShowz

When might the Coase theorem be applicable in 1L Torts..

Postby SeymourShowz » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:35 pm

After hearing so much about Ronald Coase in law review articles, I decided to give the The Problem of Social Cost a read.. It appears quite interesting, although I think I still need to give it another read or two before I really grasp the material.

When might I expect this stuff to be applicable in a first year torts class, or when might it come up with a more policy driven professor?
Last edited by SeymourShowz on Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vamedic03

Re: When might the Coase theorem be applicable in 1L Torts..

Postby vamedic03 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:15 pm

SeymourShowz wrote:After hearing so much about Ronald Coase in law review articles, I decided to give the The Problem of Social Cost a read.. It appears quite interesting, although I think I still need to give it another read or two before I really grasp the material.

When might I expect this stuff to be applicable in a first year torts class, or when it might come up with a more policy driven professor?

Don't worry about it unless the professor talks about it. If the prof talks about it, then there's your answer. Not trying to be snarky, but you shouldn't introduce outside material into an exam.

SeymourShowz

Postby SeymourShowz » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:37 pm

vamedic03 wrote:Not trying to be snarky, but you shouldn't introduce outside material into an exam.

Never said I was going to incorporate it into an exam, but point taken. I just like learning new shit.

dshirs32

Postby dshirs32 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:50 pm

we had a guest lecturer from YLS and he talked about the coase theorem in the context of nuisance. more specifically he talked about legal entitlements and the difference between property and liability rules.

Lonagan

Postby Lonagan » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:22 pm

We spent a day applying the Coase Theorum to hypos in torts. The next day our crim professor lectured on a modification of it ( B + S < PL, where S is the social utility of the act. I think the letter was S anyway; not sure if that is a commonly used adaptation.) So, it will be relevant on our exams.

SeymourShowz

Postby SeymourShowz » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:39 pm

dshirs32 wrote:we had a guest lecturer from YLS and he talked about the coase theorem in the context of nuisance. more specifically he talked about legal entitlements and the difference between property and liability rules.

and I think we go to the same school... damn. Wish I hadn't missed that.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”