How to cite a case on an exam if I forgot its name? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Gamecubesupreme

Bronze

How to cite a case on an exam if I forgot its name?

Post by Gamecubesupreme » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:39 am

Let's say I want to cite the principle in Hamer vs. Sidway where the judges made the point that a promisee can experience detriment as long as he/she gives up his/her right to do something, even if that action is something he/she would not have wanted to do anyway, how would I do it if I suddenly forgot the case's name and I didn't put it down on my outline?

Would it be okay if I simply went "one of the cases made the point that..."?

Veyron

Gold

Re: How to cite a case on an exam if I forgot its name?

Post by Veyron » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:40 am

Gamecubesupreme wrote:Let's say I want to cite the principle in Hamer vs. Sidway where the judges made the point that a promisee can experience detriment as long as he/she gives up his/her right to do something, even if that action is something he/she would not have wanted to do anyway, how would I do it if I suddenly forgot the case's name and I didn't put it down on my outline?

Would it be okay if I simply went "one of the cases made the point that..."?
Depends on the prof. Some just want the rule and fuck where you got it from.

TobiasFunke

New

Post by TobiasFunke » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:50 am

Last edited by TobiasFunke on Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:54 am

Just alluding to it in some manner, like "the case with Gateway and the shrinkwrap terms" will probably be enough if you nail a specific rule related to it, such as the Easterbrook rule, and just want a case around to give your discussion some context. It probably isn't necessary though...and if it trips you up at all, leave it out and just apply law to facts.

reverendt

Bronze

Post by reverendt » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:16 am

Don't worry about citing cases on the exam. Just state the rule.
The only exams you'll probably have to remember some case names for are civ pro and con law.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:53 am

If your professor really wants cases, then you can allude to the important facts of the case- "an uncle promised his nephew money in exchange for not drinking, smoking or gambling." Otherwise, just use the rule (a gift is not gratuitous if it should reasonably induce forbearance and does so, forbearance is valid consideration in a K).

This is probably more useful when citing more obscure cases with rules that are muddled and harder to state, or cases which clarify a preexisting rule. On the other hand, professors that love the restatement will probably require you to cite sections by number. Just knowing that something is said in the restatement is probably not enough.

shadow.

Bronze

Post by shadow. » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:07 pm

Last edited by shadow. on Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:15 pm

shadow. wrote:What about citing generally to the case after writing the rule?

e.g. "If the difference between MP and KP is inadequate because the seller is a lost volume seller, then under UCC 2-708(2) the seller could receive its profits. This was the case in Neri v. Retail Marine Corp."

Would citing to Neri yield extra points or is the UCC all that's needed?
Depends on your professor. Might get you a little, might get you nothing. But getting the rule and the restatement/UCC section is probably good enough for most of the points. Even then, I'd just go [sentence] (Neri v. Retail Marine).

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:06 pm

Totally unrelated, but someone in my section asked if we needed to cite in Bluebook form on our exams.

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:36 pm

I just did: Rule blah blah blah. (Case name).

If I couldn't remember the name exactly I would put down an important fact that made it standout, ex: (Contract for not drinking case).

I also didn't fill in the case names and such until the very end when I had time to go through my answer quickly and fill stuff in. Time is 100x better spent on analysis.

Pro tip: Bolded / Underlined header instead of issue sentence.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”