His/Her

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Re: His/Her

Postby 20160810 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:05 pm

I've always found it silly that a profession which is so enamored with rigid deployment of Standard Written English indulges in the instant pronoun tomfoolery. That said, use of the generic "she" (1.) is easy enough to do, (2.) has become an accepted thing to do within the legal field and (3.) doesn't really hurt anyone, so if it makes you happy, go for it.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:07 pm

SBL wrote:I've always found it silly that a profession which is so enamored with rigid deployment of Standard Written English indulges in the instant pronoun tomfoolery. That said, use of the generic "she" (1.) is easy enough to do, (2.) has become an accepted thing to do within the legal field and (3.) doesn't really hurt anyone, so if it makes you happy, go for it.

Bra-burning feminism going on here.

Postby 20160810 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:13 pm

bk1 wrote:
SBL wrote:I've always found it silly that a profession which is so enamored with rigid deployment of Standard Written English indulges in the instant pronoun tomfoolery. That said, use of the generic "she" (1.) is easy enough to do, (2.) has become an accepted thing to do within the legal field and (3.) doesn't really hurt anyone, so if it makes you happy, go for it.

Bra-burning feminism going on here.

Indeed. I just find the amount of complaining about the use of the generic "she" amongst law students completely out of kilter to the relatively nonexistent amount of harm the practice causes. Don't like it? Then use the traditional "he" in your writing instead. Problem solved.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:15 pm

SBL wrote:Indeed. I just find the amount of complaining about the use of the generic "she" amongst law students completely out of kilter to the relatively nonexistent amount of harm the practice causes. Don't like it? Then use the traditional "he" in your writing instead. Problem solved.

But having to read "she" makes their eyes burn. They also don't like uppity women.

LoriBelle

Postby LoriBelle » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:44 pm

yeff wrote:He? she? xe? he/she? These are really better?

First, this problem can often be easily written around. From OP's example: "defendant need not personally actually contact the victim."

For the other example, I really don't understand the disgust with "The victim could argue their..."

Moreover, if "they" it proves unsuitable for legal use due to imprecision (hasn't yet, but I'm just a 1L), there's no good reason it can't be used in common speech.

That be true, other than it are not grammar correct.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”