Peeps who fb/gchat/email/ Not Pay Attention in class

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
vandalvideo

Re: Peeps who fb/gchat/email/ Not Pay Attention in class

Postby vandalvideo » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:20 am

It isn't my fault that my classmates' observations are often boring and irrelevant.

-Reddit browser in class

Jackie O

Postby Jackie O » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:34 am

booyakasha wrote:
whatwouldyoudo wrote:There is a girl in all my classes who never pays attention in class and just reads law review articles 24/7. I have seen her print them in Westlaw.

What is the point of all this? I don't really understand it. So she just searches stuff about what we are talking about and does not find the need to pay attention in class?

Some people are ridic.

stop paying attention to her computer you fucking creep

I can sense the creepers behind me staring at my screen if I briefly check something out online - if only I knew their names I could creep on them on facebook while they watched

random5483

Postby random5483 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:08 pm

Only a 1L here, but I find listening to student opinions helpful. Student questions/responses help me analyze their responses and compare my analysis to the professors. Not every question/comment raised by a student is useful, but some are. With the hefty expenses I am incurring for law school, I cannot see myself using gmail, facebook or ESPN during class. I occasionally use the internet in class, but my activity is limited to TWEN (or similar sites) or my email if I need relevant information (attached documets/etc).

nealric

Postby nealric » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:12 pm

i don't know about you all but I am paying 60k to go to my school each year. That makes each hour of lecture 150.00 per a class. Of course, when someone asks a rando question i'll go online for maybe a few secs. But only for a quick sec to check my email. BUT OMG! How can anyone do this? Do you not understand how much you may be missing?

I know this may sound cynical, but I never thought I was paying tuition for classes- I paid for a degree. In the internet age, education is free. Degrees cost money.

In any event, I've never been very good about paying attention in class. I just don't learn that well in large class environments. That said, I always took at least decent notes, and always knew what was going on by exam time.

matty

Postby matty » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:30 pm

I love people who do this in class, since we're graded on a curve after all. I find it funniest--and this happens all the time--when someone hurriedly rushes into to class like 20 minutes late, then I see them immediately boot up their computer and start surfing the web or gchatting. Whew! That was close, you almost missed class, haha. Notes by hand ftw (I seriously think that was a huge part of my success 1L year)

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:32 pm

SBL wrote:Who cares what your classmates are doing on their laptops?

+1

savagedm

Postby savagedm » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:55 pm

matty wrote:I love people who do this in class, since we're graded on a curve after all. I find it funniest--and this happens all the time--when someone hurriedly rushes into to class like 20 minutes late, then I see them immediately boot up their computer and start surfing the web or gchatting. Whew! That was close, you almost missed class, haha. Notes by hand ftw (I seriously think that was a huge part of my success 1L year)

some of us use fb/gchat to ask what we missed. HTH

Brawndo86

Postby Brawndo86 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:10 pm

I got an 88 (B+) in a class I spent every day I wasn't on the on-call list playing Tetris and reading Deadspin, and read a commercial supplement three days before the final.

I got a 72 (C-) in a class I paid attention in nearly every day, and would often carry on spirited discussions with the professor.

Yup, I'm confused as hell.

dougroberts

Postby dougroberts » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:35 pm

Slight tangent, but I HATE (often friends) who sit next to me and look over at my screen when I am typing, as if they are missing something and want to see what I am writing down. Sometimes the neighbor even looks while I am writing personal emails in class.

What gives?? You are in law school, write down what the prof says and stop coping my notes!! HUGE PET PEEVE.

Please, if you are a person that looks at your neighbors computer about once every 10-15 minutes to copy notes from, STOP!

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:42 pm

dougroberts wrote:Slight tangent, but I HATE (often friends) who sit next to me and look over at my screen when I am typing, as if they are missing something and want to see what I am writing down. Sometimes the neighbor even looks while I am writing personal emails in class.

What gives?? You are in law school, write down what the prof says and stop coping my notes!! HUGE PET PEEVE.

Please, if you are a person that looks at your neighbors computer about once every 10-15 minutes to copy notes from, STOP!

lol even if you end up winning at law school, you fail at life, gtfo

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:47 pm

dougroberts wrote:Slight tangent, but I HATE (often friends) who sit next to me and look over at my screen when I am typing, as if they are missing something and want to see what I am writing down. Sometimes the neighbor even looks while I am writing personal emails in class.

You probably don't have to worry too much about friends looking at your computer screen.

ogurty

Postby ogurty » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:51 pm

Is UCLA the only school that has disabled wireless internet access in classrooms?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:54 pm

ogurty wrote:Is UCLA the only school that has disabled wireless internet access in classrooms?

UChi

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:55 pm

IAFG wrote:
ogurty wrote:Is UCLA the only school that has disabled wireless internet access in classrooms?

UChi

Add Cornell to the list.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:04 am

danidancer wrote:
IAFG wrote:

UChi

Add Cornell to the list.

But...what would I do in class? Confused.

omninode

Postby omninode » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:20 am

Holly Golightly wrote:
danidancer wrote:
IAFG wrote:

UChi

Add Cornell to the list.

But...what would I do in class? Confused.

Circumvent the system. Get a MiFi: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/08/virgin-mifi-with-true-unlimited-3g-data-for-40/

Just don't get caught.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:30 am

Some people learn better by reading than by lectures. The proof is in the pudding exams.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:33 am

Girl on facebook and gchat all through class. Gets called on nearly every day because it is obvious to profs. Answers flawlessly every single time without to much as a pause. FML.

kazu

Postby kazu » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:36 am

Cupidity wrote:Girl on facebook and gchat all through class. Gets called on nearly every day because it is obvious to profs. Answers flawlessly every single time without to much as a pause. FML.

:shock:

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:46 am

bagaw
Last edited by capitalacq on Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:54 am

Cupidity wrote:Girl on facebook and gchat all through class. Gets called on nearly every day because it is obvious to profs. Answers flawlessly every single time without to much as a pause. FML.

Learning to smoke cold calls was so August.

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:00 am

Jackie O wrote:I can sense the creepers behind me staring at my screen if I briefly check something out online - if only I knew their names I could creep on them on facebook while they watched

We should just exchange names and get it over with.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”