Peeps who fb/gchat/email/ Not Pay Attention in class

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
whatwouldyoudo

Peeps who fb/gchat/email/ Not Pay Attention in class

Postby whatwouldyoudo » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:40 pm

There is a girl in all my classes who never pays attention in class and just reads law review articles 24/7. I have seen her print them in Westlaw.

What is the point of all this? I don't really understand it. So she just searches stuff about what we are talking about and does not find the need to pay attention in class?

Some people are ridic.

abudaba

Re: Peeps who fb/gchat/email/ Not Pay Attention in class

Postby abudaba » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:02 pm

maybe she is under the impression that a cite to some arbitrary reasoning beyond the class discussion will put her at the top.. in which case thats a fail. maybe its a hobby, thats a fail. maybe she is crazy prepared already and knows everything thats going on already and multitasks with that - still no point to it tho. Whatever the case, its insane not to pay attention to class discussion imo. Pretty sure its the only way to achieve any level of success.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:13 pm

gchat FTW

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:02 pm

I use GChat in class. I also pay attention and take notes.

I'm a very easily distracted person, so I actually concentrate better if I have some little distraction rather than 150 of them. Sort of like tapping a pen while I work, except it doesn't annoy the hell out of everyone around me. Half the time we are wondering random stuff about the cases and discussion anyway.

What I wonder about are the people who:

1) Never taker a note - Facebook, fantasy sports, whatever, all through class.
2) The people who type down everything the professor says. What the hell are you going to do with all that?

eandy

Postby eandy » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:07 pm

I think I look like I don't take notes. I do a lot of other stuff in class, but I have a good filter for when we are wasting time restating facts and when the prof is actually saying something useful. One of my classes is legitimately useless, as she just reads off of a script she uses pretty much every year.If you have an old outline, it has everything she ever has said in class on it.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:08 pm

I get a healthy mix in. It really depends on the class. I have some professors who add a lot to the reading, in which case I am more focused. I have other professors who more or less regurgitate the reading and once in a while offer some clarifying point, in which case I spend more time on FB/Gmail/whatever.

uvauvauva

Postby uvauvauva » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:14 pm

i don't know about you all but I am paying 60k to go to my school each year. That makes each hour of lecture 150.00 per a class. Of course, when someone asks a rando question i'll go online for maybe a few secs. But only for a quick sec to check my email. BUT OMG! How can anyone do this? Do you not understand how much you may be missing?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:20 pm

uvauvauva wrote:i don't know about you all but I am paying 60k to go to my school each year. That makes each hour of lecture 150.00 per a class. Of course, when someone asks a rando question i'll go online for maybe a few secs. But only for a quick sec to check my email. BUT OMG! How can anyone do this? Do you not understand how much you may be missing?

I literally have a script for my Civ Pro class. It follows almost word-for-word what he is going to talk about, and even briefs the cases and tells you what he wants to hear about them.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:25 pm

uvauvauva wrote:i don't know about you all but I am paying 60k to go to my school each year. That makes each hour of lecture 150.00 per a class. Of course, when someone asks a rando question i'll go online for maybe a few secs. But only for a quick sec to check my email. BUT OMG! How can anyone do this? Do you not understand how much you may be missing?

And I don't get why people pay attention to/take notes on what other students are saying. Why the fuck should I bother listening to their opinions? In the rare event that they say something important, the professor is just going to repeat it anyway.

uvauvauva

Postby uvauvauva » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:34 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:

And I don't get why people pay attention to/take notes on what other students are saying. Why the fuck should I bother listening to their opinions? In the rare event that they say something important, the professor is just going to repeat it anyway.

+1

I hate gunners who disagree with the profs. or raise their just to make a point.... but it's quite entertaining when the prof backs them down to those IDIOTIC people. OMG. It's entertaining to see people getting SLAMMED.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:35 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:

this goes well with your avatar

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:36 pm

Why do people pay attention to what other students are doing? Deciding you're doing it right and everyone else is doing it wrong doesn't make it so.

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:02 am

whatwouldyoudo wrote:There is a girl in all my classes who never pays attention in class and just reads law review articles 24/7. I have seen her print them in Westlaw.

What is the point of all this? I don't really understand it. So she just searches stuff about what we are talking about and does not find the need to pay attention in class?

Some people are ridic.

I bet she does much better than you in that class.
abudaba wrote:maybe she is under the impression that a cite to some arbitrary reasoning beyond the class discussion will put her at the top.. in which case thats a fail. maybe its a hobby, thats a fail. maybe she is crazy prepared already and knows everything thats going on already and multitasks with that - still no point to it tho. Whatever the case, its insane not to pay attention to class discussion imo. Pretty sure its the only way to achieve any level of success.

we can obv. assume you're in top 10% of your class based on your grades so far?

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:18 am

My prof has a habbit of punishing people who she notices doing that. I got nailed because a person in the row in front of me pulled up a funny website, and I laughed at it. I was on call for the day with insanely difficult Q's. Fuck that bitch.

goosey

Postby goosey » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:53 am

I've only witnessed one person in my civ pro class doing this---I sit towards the back of the room and can see about 60% of the laptops in the room...and they are all on word/one note the ENTIRE time. And it makes me insanely nervous

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:57 am

You're usually not missing much, if anything

abudaba

Postby abudaba » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:58 am

capitalacq wrote:we can obv. assume you're in top 10% of your class based on your grades so far?

Your assumption is correct, based on midterms - people can do whatever they want in class, it really doesnt bother/affect me at all :wink:

And I completely agree, paying attention in class may have diminishing returns when some gunner asks a stupid hypo. But personally, I have found that sometimes if I tune it out I suddenly realize that we're back on topic and I was still snoozing.

I just think if you want to do well, one way to do it is to pay attention to the law as the professor sees it. Unless your prof wrote a supplement or something the only way to do that is to pay attention in class. Ultimately the more an exam response mirrors his class the better the professors perception of the response. If everyone is saying the same thing dont you think giving the prof his reasoning back to him will turn him on and give you the edge? Law professors love to smell their own farts. They see themselves as kings of the classroom and want you to hang on their every word. You want to win? Play the game.

Or defend not paying attention in class if that make sense to you. Like I said doesnt bother me one bit. Im sure lots of people who gchat will do well, I just think I'm not smart enough to be one of them.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:39 am

traehekat wrote:I get a healthy mix in. It really depends on the class. I have some professors who add a lot to the reading, in which case I am more focused. I have other professors who more or less regurgitate the reading and once in a while offer some clarifying point, in which case I spend more time on FB/Gmail/whatever.

This.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:03 am

kalvano wrote:I use GChat in class. I also pay attention and take notes.

I'm a very easily distracted person, so I actually concentrate better if I have some little distraction rather than 150 of them. Sort of like tapping a pen while I work, except it doesn't annoy the hell out of everyone around me. Half the time we are wondering random stuff about the cases and discussion anyway.

What I wonder about are the people who:

1) Never taker a note - Facebook, fantasy sports, whatever, all through class.
2) The people who type down everything the professor says. What the hell are you going to do with all that?

Guilty as charged. I glanced over at a classmate's notes the other day and was extremely impressed at how condensed her notes were while having more relevant information than mine. It's been getting me thinking that maybe I need to force myself to calm the fuck down and concentrate on important points and facts only.

JG Hall

Postby JG Hall » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:57 am

I'm curious what the 1L:2L/3L ratio is in this thread. Because if this is mostly 1Ls, how do you know what's ultimately relevant to your exam and what isn't? And don't say "common sense" or some other horseshit. A lot of people will tell you that class attendance/engagement has little to no correlation to your actual grade. (And people who either pay attention all the time, or people who don't pay attention ever... then you can't really speak to what you don't know.)

Postby 20160810 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:17 am

Who cares what your classmates are doing on their laptops?

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:52 am

kalvano wrote:2) The people who type down everything the professor says. What the hell are you going to do with all that?

This is me. I've tried the selective note taking thing before, and it always fails miserably. Even if I understand everything that goes on in class, I end up with random scrawls that I don't understand, can't remember taking down, etc. I don't type every word verbatum, but I do need the context of everything that went on in class to be able to decipher my notes later on and remember the various discussions that we had.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:42 am

Worrying about what other people write down is a great way to miss stuff yourself.

AppsAbound

Postby AppsAbound » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:27 am

Ppl care what others are doing on their laptops because it's extremely distracting when the person in front of you has a laptop screen thats flashing espn highlights, or has 6 blinking gchat windows. Not saying that it prevents me from working, but it certainly is annoying.

Postby 12262010 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:06 am

whatwouldyoudo wrote:There is a girl in all my classes who never pays attention in class and just reads law review articles 24/7. I have seen her print them in Westlaw.

Some people are ridic.

stop paying attention to her computer you fucking creep

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”