How has your Body Changed....

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
onthecusp

How has your Body Changed....

Postby onthecusp » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:07 pm

under the rigors of law school? For example, where I used to not be able to watch TV without at least 7-8 hours of sleep, I am now fully functional with 4-5 hours of sleep per day. I think I'm in better shape than when I started law school even though I go to the gym less. I can no longer fall asleep on call, I require at least an hour and a half of pawn stars or "how it's made" before I stop thinking about the law. And I found myself this morning as I awoke in a cold sweat trying to argue points of law that developed in a dream I was having. I was pissed for the first 5 minutes of my day that I wasted all that time trying to understand made up law. Here's to hoping that my dream subliminally filled some gaps in my knowledge of something useful.

Also, I noticed I've started talking like an asshole....as in not being able to get out of law school vernacular in the context of normal conversation. I probably sound smarter, but I feel like a grade A douche.

Also, my chess rating increased to 1850+ on chess.com. Chess is my procrastination vehicle, so that's probably not a good sign.

Pizon

Re: How has your Body Changed....

Postby Pizon » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:13 pm

Maybe this speaks more to how my mind has changed, but picking up on your second point I find myself looking at everything in life from a more analytical perspective. All those judicial opinions applying legal reasoning to every decision have me programmed to make personal choices less on feel and more on what I objectively deem to be reasonable.

solidsnake

Postby solidsnake » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:16 pm

Pizon wrote:Maybe this speaks more to how my mind has changed, but picking up on your second point I find myself looking at everything in life from a more analytical perspective. All those judicial opinions applying legal reasoning to every decision have me programmed to make personal choices less on feel and more on what I objectively deem to be reasonable.

Spoken like a true 1L

ppa840

Postby ppa840 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:29 pm

onthecusp wrote:under the rigors of law school? For example, where I used to not be able to watch TV without at least 7-8 hours of sleep, I am now fully functional with 4-5 hours of sleep per day. I think I'm in better shape than when I started law school even though I go to the gym less. I can no longer fall asleep on call, I require at least an hour and a half of pawn stars or "how it's made" before I stop thinking about the law. And I found myself this morning as I awoke in a cold sweat trying to argue points of law that developed in a dream I was having. I was pissed for the first 5 minutes of my day that I wasted all that time trying to understand made up law. Here's to hoping that my dream subliminally filled some gaps in my knowledge of something useful.

Also, I noticed I've started talking like an asshole....as in not being able to get out of law school vernacular in the context of normal conversation. I probably sound smarter, but I feel like a grade A douche.

Also, my chess rating increased to 1850+ on chess.com. Chess is my procrastination vehicle, so that's probably not a good sign.

Sums up my changes, minus the chess thing and being fully functional with so little sleep. Now I can't sleep on call, so I end up getting too little sleep at night and take naps during the day

Postby 09042014 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:33 pm

LTK tried to argue the economic benefits of me getting robbed by a hooker. LOL 1Ls

Pizon

Postby Pizon » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:57 pm

solidsnake wrote:
Pizon wrote:Maybe this speaks more to how my mind has changed, but picking up on your second point I find myself looking at everything in life from a more analytical perspective. All those judicial opinions applying legal reasoning to every decision have me programmed to make personal choices less on feel and more on what I objectively deem to be reasonable.

Spoken like a true 1L

haha, I'm a 2L.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:04 pm

Desert Fox wrote:LTK tried to argue the economic benefits of me getting robbed by a hooker. LOL 1Ls

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What epic insanity will happen at/after tonight's bar review???

Postby 09042014 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:05 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:LTK tried to argue the economic benefits of me getting robbed by a hooker. LOL 1Ls

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What epic insanity will happen at/after tonight's bar review???

I predict a behimin is broken.

dood

Postby dood » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:07 pm

Last edited by dood on Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

inchoate_con

Postby inchoate_con » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:15 pm

I lost 30 pounds. Fucking awesome!

dood

Postby dood » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:22 pm

Last edited by dood on Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:38 pm

I still go to the gym 3-5 times a week. I'm probably healthier because I drank boatloads of alcohol in college and I've had about 10 beers so far into the school year. I still cook almost all my own food. I've lost about 2 lbs, more due to no binge drinking rather than stress though.

What I can't understand is the people running around on 4 hours of sleep for extended periods of time. I'm retarded if I get less than 7. I don't like to go to bed knowing that I still have work to do, but I force myself to do it because I truly believe it makes me way more productive for the time that I am doing work. Keeping all of those habits and getting all my work done has made me really cut down on leisure time. I used to golf at a minimum 5 times a week and spend a large amount of time not doing anything productive. Can't do that anymore.

I'm a huge believer in that adequate sleep/clean diet/exercising regularly improves cognitive function over the long and short terms. My personal conspiracy theory for why so many lawyers get burned out is that they stop taking care of themselves and just eat chinese food at their desk, don't exercise, then go home and sleep for 5 hours. Not to say that some people can't function like that, but in a significant percentage of people that kind of lifestyle would probably cause depression regardless of what kind of work you were doing.

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:47 pm

I don't think I've gained any weight, but I've definitely lost some muscle. Gotta start getting to the gym more often before I get even more mushy. Haha.

I'm also in desperate need of a massage. All those hours typing and reading is starting to take a toll on my back/shoulders.

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:13 pm

I've shed a few pounds because school makes me too lazy to eat and I'd I'm constantly walking all over the city of Chicago.

I definitely do the douche-speak that OP was talking about.

inchoate_con

Postby inchoate_con » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:00 pm

dood wrote:
inchoate_con wrote:I lost 30 pounds. Fucking awesome!

adderal does miracles until u start roaming the ghetto and doing ass-to-ass for hits of meth.

I don't get it..... is that bad?

annapavlova

Postby annapavlova » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:19 pm

I think I'm skinnier and fatter.

I've lost like 8 pounds (from an already perfectly appropriate weight), but I have zero muscle definition now.

GOOOO SKINNYFAT!

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:29 pm

annapavlova wrote:I think I'm skinnier and fatter.

I've lost like 8 pounds (from an already perfectly appropriate weight), but I have zero muscle definition now.

GOOOO SKINNYFAT!

Ditto. I've stopped working out and eating healthy, but also lost some weight. One of these days, I'm going to make it back to the gym...

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:00 pm

Gained weight from binge drinking and drunk eating.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:19 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
annapavlova wrote:I think I'm skinnier and fatter.

GOOOO SKINNYFAT!

Ditto. I've stopped working out and eating healthy, but also lost some weight. One of these days, I'm going to make it back to the gym...

Same. Skeletal is hot, right?

M.M.

Postby M.M. » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:20 pm

5'8 130 to..

5'9.5 165

--ImageRemoved--

Oh wait I'm 0L and can eat and sleep moar. :) I have pics at 5'8 130 but my computer won't upload ...

inb4 i get flamed

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:22 pm

Omerta wrote:I've had about 10 beers so far into the school year.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:30 pm

M.M. wrote:
Oh wait I'm 0L and can eat and sleep moar. :) [/color]

gtfo & diaf & can't wait for you to shrivel up like a used balloon in 1L

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:50 pm

put on 7 lbs.

meh, i could use a little more weight anyway. pretty sure im putting on the "bad" kind of weight tho.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:52 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”