Are people less social / more socially awkward in law school

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
M.M.

Are people less social / more socially awkward in law school

Postby M.M. » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:19 pm

In general? Of course there's exceptions to every rule, but it seems that as a whole people in highly ranked law schools might be slightly socially awkward / less sociable than normal (personality wise, not due to time constraint)

JG Hall

Re: Are people less social / more socially awkward in law school

Postby JG Hall » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:22 pm

If you went to a state school for UG -yes.

If you went to an ivy/LAC/UChicago/MIT/etc. - no.

law school rank is inversely related to overall personability, likability, and attractiveness
[edit: with some exceptions, obvi.]
[edit: there is a difference between being social and sociable.]
Last edited by JG Hall on Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:34 pm

In the context of a law school, people are almost too social here at UVA.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:37 pm

JG Hall wrote:If you went to a state school for UG -yes.

law school rank is inversely related to overall personability, likability, and attractiveness

What the hell are you talking about?

EDIT: Constructively, people at HLS have been quite social. It's a bit of a different kind of socialization once you get to law school and legal brainwashing ensues, but it's socialization nonetheless.
Last edited by GeePee on Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:39 pm

An Internet message board is probably the best place to get an accurate answer about how socially awkward people are.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:40 pm

BruceWayne wrote:In the context of a law school, people are almost too social here at UVA.

in the beginning, my social calendar heavily competed with my academic one. i'm having a slight resurgence of that this week.

also, fwiw, there are some damn fine looking people at uva, and this dude:

well...i admittedly don't have a gigantic sample to work with, but most of the people i've met from uva and other high ranking law schools are pretty good looking, likable people. i can't imagine you've seen such a wide swath of schools that you can make a good judgment on this. i actually suspect that if i went on a tour of t4s and a tour of t1s, i'd find that the t1s had more of the aforementioned qualities than the t4.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:40 pm

California Babe wrote:An Internet message board is probably the best place to get an accurate answer about how socially awkward people are.

:lol: :lol:

M.M.

Postby M.M. » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:41 pm

GeePee wrote:

EDIT: Constructively, people at HLS have been quite social. It's a bit of a different kind of socialization once you get to law school and legal brainwashing ensues, but it's socialization nonetheless.

Purely out of curiosity how did you come up with your name?

PM me if you want.

It's a term I recognize

@ California Babe just because people here might be socially awkward doesn't mean they can't identify other people that are / aren't. It's spoken about a lot on a lot of message boards
Last edited by M.M. on Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:41 pm

I went to a super nerdy undergrad. I find the kids in law school to be way more outgoing, fun and social. I've never had a busier social schedule in my life.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:42 pm

Less social - NO (except as time constraints dictate)
More socially awkward - YES (its nerdvana, I love it!) -also, went to a top UG FWIW, seemed much less nerdy-

JG Hall

Postby JG Hall » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:47 pm

dailygrind wrote:well...i admittedly don't have a gigantic sample to work with, but most of the people i've met from uva and other high ranking law schools are pretty good looking, likable people. i can't imagine you've seen such a wide swath of schools that you can make a good judgment on this. i actually suspect that if i went on a tour of t4s and a tour of t1s, i'd find that the t1s had more of the aforementioned qualities than the t4.

I have no idea about T4s. People who shouldn't be in law school are... irrelevant? But comparing Yale, to say, Brooklyn, and CLS to say, UK – there are marked differences.

And where you went to undergrad definitely has an impact on how you perceive the sociability of your law school classmates. People who went to UChicago for undergrad don't think the people at CLS are as weird as say... people who went to UT.

(I also believe public schools are, on the whole, more attractive and social than *most* private schools, even on the law school level. Only intuition, though.)

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:48 pm

This could actually be a really interesting thread. We need more input from transfers, and from a larger sampling of the T14 (yes, we know UVA is in its own little happy bubble).

hokie

Postby hokie » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:57 pm

California Babe wrote:An Internet message board is probably the best place to get an accurate answer about how socially awkward people are.

This :lol:

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:59 pm

hokie wrote:

Greatest response I've seen on TLS. :mrgreen:

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:08 pm

Mike12188 wrote:
hokie wrote:

When you get to law school and maybe meet others from TLS, you'll find that they're actually quite sociable and normal. Maybe even more so than average.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:09 pm

GeePee wrote:When you get to law school and maybe meet others from TLS, you'll find that they're actually quite sociable and normal. Maybe even more so than average.

lol'd

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:20 pm

GeePee wrote:
Mike12188 wrote:
hokie wrote:

When you get to law school and maybe meet others from TLS, you'll find that they're actually quite sociable and normal. Maybe even more so than average.

Coming from the guy with 2000+ posts :lol:

JG Hall

Postby JG Hall » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:22 pm

Mike12188 wrote:
GeePee wrote:When you get to law school and maybe meet others from TLS, you'll find that they're actually quite sociable and normal. Maybe even more so than average.

Coming from the guy with 2000+ posts :lol:

with a few glaring exceptions, he's right. and you can predict who the exceptions are going to be because they're just as awk online.

Pizon

Postby Pizon » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:13 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:I went to a super nerdy undergrad. I find the kids in law school to be way more outgoing, fun and social.

Yup.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:15 pm

It's a crowd of awkward and active. My section was fairly lame until they found out we were labeled the nerdy section and now they plan social occasions twice a week.

PunjabiLower

Postby PunjabiLower » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:45 am

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:23 am

GeePee wrote:

First, JG Hall, your response is unintelligble as written. What do you mean? Are you trying to say that if you went to a state school you will perceive your law peers to be less social, whereas you might not be as sensitive to your peers' lack of social skills if you went to, say, Cornell?

Secondly, I don't know what circles you travel in, but the women at the top-10 law schools are every bit as hot as the rest. Remember, the law schools usually have other departments and undergrad students as well. Yes, Yale has a few "moo-moos", but even they get horny after awhile. Other Yale women hide their beauty behind glasses; it's that whole sexy librarian thing. Think young Sarah Palin but with a brain and without the ugly voice or bad politics. What guy wouldn't like one of those?

JG Hall

Postby JG Hall » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:31 am

PDaddy wrote:
GeePee wrote:

First, JG Hall, your response is unintelligble as written. What do you mean? Are you trying to say that if you went to a state school you will perceive your law peers to be less social, whereas you might not be as sensitive to your peers' lack of social skills if you went to, say, Cornell?

Secondly, I don't know what circles you travel in, but the women at the top-10 law schools are every bit as hot as the rest. Remember, the law schools usually have other departments and undergrad students as well. Yes, Yale has a few "moo-moos", but even they get horny after awhile. Other Yale women hide their beauty behind glasses; it's that whole sexy librarian thing. Think young Sarah Palin but with a brain and without the ugly voice or bad politics. What guy wouldn't like one of those?

First, I'm going to try and overlook the fact that, in trying to insult my post as gibberish, you managed to misspell unintelligible.

Second, I've been to a few Yale law parties. Those were some of the ugliest dudes I've ever seen on any college campus. Ever.

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:51 am

JG Hall wrote:
PDaddy wrote:
GeePee wrote:

First, I'm going to try and overlook the fact that, in trying to insult my post as gibberish, you managed to misspell unintelligible.

Second, I've been to a few Yale law parties. Those were some of the ugliest dudes I've ever seen on any college campus. Ever.

:lol: :lol: Yale students ARE pretty fugly

M.M.

Postby M.M. » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:11 am

JG Hall wrote:
PDaddy wrote:
GeePee wrote:

Wow, it was obviously a typo so stfu about the first point.

You know your argument's on the rocks when you resort not to pointing out obvious spelling errors, but typos, lol.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”