Is it about that time to step on the gas?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
stocksly33

Re: Is it about that time to step on the gas?

Postby stocksly33 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:48 pm

aheisman wrote: Yeah, this seems insane. Also, you shouldn't be legitimately "memorizing" stuff unless your exam is closed book.

my civ pro exam is closed notes/book, so i have to memorize a lot for that.

i feel like i want to have at least the big stuff and steps memorized, so i don't spend my exam time flipping through my outline. and i don't want to think about how to word the rules during the exam, so i spend a lot of time writing out rule paragraphs over and over until i can write them practically without thinking.

stocksly33

Postby stocksly33 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:52 pm

i'm thinking about adding another 1-2 hours on the weekdays and 2-3 hours more on each weekend day, until mid november. and then once november 15 hits... i'll try to devote as much time to studying possible, w/out burning out.

savagecheater

Postby savagecheater » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:06 pm

I'm tacking on 2hrs/day starting monday after next.

aheisman

Postby aheisman » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:23 pm

stocksly33 wrote:
aheisman wrote: Yeah, this seems insane. Also, you shouldn't be legitimately "memorizing" stuff unless your exam is closed book.

i feel like i want to have at least the big stuff and steps memorized, so i don't spend my exam time flipping through my outline. and i don't want to think about how to word the rules during the exam, so i spend a lot of time writing out rule paragraphs over and over until i can write them practically without thinking.

My civ pro exam was too - However, a lot of professors have open book civ pro exams.

You should definitely be familiar with everything in your outline/notes. However, regurgitating and writing rules over and over again sounds like a waste time. (Unless this is the format of your exam? Different professors have different methods of testing.) In my experience 1L year, at least, professors wanted us to apply the black letter law to different scenarios and problems, not regurgitate it back to them. If your professors are similar to mine, you should really be working on practice problems that involve applying the FRCP/BLL for whatever class.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:31 pm

stocksly33 wrote:

Writing the rules out is not as useful as writing your analysis out. Exams are formulaic. You'll discuss each issue similarly regardless of facts. So it helps a lot to figure out how you're going to discuss, say the standard of care in a negligent tort, and just be able to blurt that out from memory incorporating the facts in the hypo as you go.
Last edited by rayiner on Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aheisman

Postby aheisman » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:32 pm

rayiner wrote:
stocksly33 wrote:

This is TCR.

Is this a joke? Writing out rules over and over again = TCR? Way to try to sabotage 1Ls.

Anyway, there are a few Civ Pro supplements you can use out there that involve applying the rules to different fact patterns. I'd recommend looking at those...if only I could remember the names (not E&E)....

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:37 pm

aheisman wrote:
rayiner wrote:
stocksly33 wrote:

This is TCR.

Is this a joke? Writing out rules over and over again = TCR? Way to try to sabotage 1Ls.

Anyway, there are a few Civ Pro supplements you can use out there that involve applying the rules to different fact patterns. I'd recommend looking at those...if only I could remember the names (not E&E)....

Edited to make clearer what I was talking about (and it doesn't apply that much to the rules part of Civ Pro).

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:46 pm

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:I think it is still a little early to be hitting top gear. End of October seems more appropriate, and it wouldn't be problematic to go full throttle even later than that (I usually waited until late November).

This, although I am planning on revving it up at least a little bit. Since I just started outlining this week, I am planning to start putting in some extra time each day from now on to first, outline up the point we are now in the semester, and later, to keep fleshing them out and updating them. I can't even imagine waiting until the end of November to start this process - it's taking me far longer than I thought it would, and I really don't handle stress well. Once we get into November I'm planning to add some serious E&E time to my schedule too.

jdubb990

Postby jdubb990 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:03 pm

I'm pulling an all nighter tonight to get a large portion of my open memo out of the way and my outlines up to date. Neither of these require as much mental concentration as reading cases, so I figure doing these 2 things running on fumes won't be all that bad and actually be extremely beneficial. Just seems like the ideal things to do if I'm going to do something on very little sleep. Maybe this is a good way to make the most of time even though you aren't comprehending anything?

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:08 pm

jdubb990 wrote:I'm pulling an all nighter tonight to get a large portion of my open memo out of the way and my outlines up to date. Neither of these require as much mental concentration as reading cases, so I figure doing these 2 things running on fumes won't be all that bad and actually be extremely beneficial. Just seems like the ideal things to do if I'm going to do something on very little sleep. Maybe this is a good way to make the most of time even though you aren't comprehending anything?

I think that's missing the point of outlining. Isn't the PROCESS the whole point of making it yourself? ie: the act of outlining reinforces and helps you remember the material. If you're not comprehending what you're doing when making it, you might as well just save the effort and snag some 2L/3L outlines instead...

jdubb990

Postby jdubb990 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:18 pm

I'm sure I'll comprehend what I'm doing. But whether I'll have the level of comprehension I do when I'm fully awake and well rested...that's a different matter. And plus, I'll go back and edit later. Putting the info into the outline is only one step, it's editing it that is conducive to learning as well.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:09 pm

jdubb990 wrote:I'm sure I'll comprehend what I'm doing. But whether I'll have the level of comprehension I do when I'm fully awake and well rested...that's a different matter. And plus, I'll go back and edit later. Putting the info into the outline is only one step, it's editing it that is conducive to learning as well.

I tend to agree that making the skeleton of your outline doesn't take much mental thought. I spent the other night pretty much copying sections of the Restatement into my Contracts outline and organizing it. I noted the cases that are relevant to each section, figuring I would go back later and look at the class notes for each case/section and add to the outline as necessary.

stocksly33

Postby stocksly33 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:40 pm

aheisman wrote: You should definitely be familiar with everything in your outline/notes. However, regurgitating and writing rules over and over again sounds like a waste time. (Unless this is the format of your exam? Different professors have different methods of testing.) In my experience 1L year, at least, professors wanted us to apply the black letter law to different scenarios and problems, not regurgitate it back to them. If your professors are similar to mine, you should really be working on practice problems that involve applying the FRCP/BLL for whatever class.

for civ p... my prof is really big on using his exact wording, so i have no choice there.

for my other classes, it's more about writing out the 1-2 sentence explanation of the doctrine/bll. my thinking is... you have to write out the bll/doctrine whenever attacking an issue. so i figure i'll practice summarizing those rules/doctrines concisely so i have more time/focus for the analysis on exams (and it helps me remember the rules/doctrines). what part of my reasoning is out of whack? also, I do practice applying the law with hypos/e&e/etc.

stocksly33

Postby stocksly33 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:43 pm

rayiner wrote:Writing the rules out is not as useful as writing your analysis out. Exams are formulaic. You'll discuss each issue similarly regardless of facts. So it helps a lot to figure out how you're going to discuss, say the standard of care in a negligent tort, and just be able to blurt that out from memory incorporating the facts in the hypo as you go.

yeah i practice writing out the analysis when i do hypos. but i have to start with stating or summarizing the rule whenever responding to an issue.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:23 am

I feel like Civ Pro is the one class I could do closed book and closed notes. It just seems we have beat every landmark case to death to the point that I can recite the dissent for each one in my sleep.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”