how's the job market?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
Jack Smirks
Posts: 1340
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 5:35 am

Re: how's the job market?

Postby Jack Smirks » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:43 pm

RedGreen, you can be whatever you want man. Follow your dreams.

User avatar
Noval
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: how's the job market?

Postby Noval » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:04 pm

rayiner wrote:
redgreenpaper wrote:wow thanks for the smart ass comments guys. well if anybody knows the conditions now that would be cool.


Terrible. Too many lawyers. If you want corporate law you need to go to a top school (top 10-ish).

Probably won't be dramatically better in 10 years. Law as a field is expected to grow slowly.

You're going to be applying to college soon, so this isn't really that bad a time to think about it. I'll go against the grain and say that there would be a lot fewer people in law school if they had thought hard about what they wanted to do and what kind of skills they had while still in high school. The "you can be whatever you want!" stuff white people are all about is bullshit. Study hard on your SATs, get into a good college, and major in something where you can get a job.

If you still want to pursue law your junior year of college and can get an LSAT score that will get you into a top school, then go for it.


Go ask that to the goddamn government, which keeps opening new law schools regardless of the demand growth...

Now they are doing the same with Medicine ( Approx 20 Med Schools under construction or in project.)...Many Medical Students will graduate and will go unmatched for Residency just because of the over-supply, like it happened in Australia.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18419
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: how's the job market?

Postby bk1 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:05 pm

Noval wrote:Go ask that to the goddamn government, which keeps opening new law schools regardless of the demand growth...


lolwut

User avatar
maxm2764
Posts: 529
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 6:12 pm

Re: how's the job market?

Postby maxm2764 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:06 pm

redgreenpaper wrote: i currently live in canada


This makes the stupidity of this thread understandable.

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: how's the job market?

Postby gwuorbust » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:59 pm

by 2020 either:

a) Anarchy Scenario. our economy has slid into a complete Detroit-esk status cause nobody has jobs and there is a rampant corruption, poverty, and social collapse. being a lawyer isn't your concern; not getting shot is. probability: 10%.

b) Stalling Scenario. the economy is just as it is right now but 10 years later. we have gained many new high-tech industries, however, we have also lost a ton more jobs to China. demand for lawyers is the same but law schools have pumped out 100k law students a year in excess of demand for 10 year.. can you say supply imbalance? probability: 70%.

c) Bubble Scenario. Mitt Romney is elected in 2012, brings back the US economy and by 2017 finance finds the newest investment that will lead to returns without risk!!! you enter law school just as it is peaking at 2020. Models and bottles from Cooley!!!! because of increased deregulation by the GOP, however, there is now nothing standing in the way of the free-fall. good luck finding a job while the US bonds are defaulting. probability: 29%.

d) Zombie Scenario. Google has moved into bioengineering and make the super cure. every disease ever has been cured! oops, it make ppl in the living dead. you are running for your life trying not to be eaten. while living in the woods you stumble into the decrepit Cornell Law campus. it is still a shit-hole. probability: 1%

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: how's the job market?

Postby Veyron » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:31 pm

gwuorbust wrote:by 2020 either:

a) Anarchy Scenario. our economy has slid into a complete Detroit-esk status cause nobody has jobs and there is a rampant corruption, poverty, and social collapse. being a lawyer isn't your concern; not getting shot is. probability: 10%.

b) Stalling Scenario. the economy is just as it is right now but 10 years later. we have gained many new high-tech industries, however, we have also lost a ton more jobs to China. demand for lawyers is the same but law schools have pumped out 100k law students a year in excess of demand for 10 year.. can you say supply imbalance? probability: 70%.

c) Bubble Scenario. Mitt Romney is elected in 2012, brings back the US economy and by 2017 finance finds the newest investment that will lead to returns without risk!!! you enter law school just as it is peaking at 2020. Models and bottles from Cooley!!!! because of increased deregulation by the GOP, however, there is now nothing standing in the way of the free-fall. good luck finding a job while the US bonds are defaulting. probability: 29%.

d) Zombie Scenario. Google has moved into bioengineering and make the super cure. every disease ever has been cured! oops, it make ppl in the living dead. you are running for your life trying not to be eaten. while living in the woods you stumble into the decrepit Cornell Law campus. it is still a shit-hole. probability: 1%



I laughed, I cried!

bigben
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: how's the job market?

Postby bigben » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:49 pm

naterj wrote:RedGreen, you can be whatever you want man. Follow your dreams.

^White liberal

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: how's the job market?

Postby Grizz » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:56 pm

gwuorbust wrote:by 2020 either:

a) Anarchy Scenario. our economy has slid into a complete Detroit-esk status cause nobody has jobs and there is a rampant corruption, poverty, and social collapse. being a lawyer isn't your concern; not getting shot is. probability: 10%.

b) Stalling Scenario. the economy is just as it is right now but 10 years later. we have gained many new high-tech industries, however, we have also lost a ton more jobs to China. demand for lawyers is the same but law schools have pumped out 100k law students a year in excess of demand for 10 year.. can you say supply imbalance? probability: 70%.

c) Bubble Scenario. Mitt Romney is elected in 2012, brings back the US economy and by 2017 finance finds the newest investment that will lead to returns without risk!!! you enter law school just as it is peaking at 2020. Models and bottles from Cooley!!!! because of increased deregulation by the GOP, however, there is now nothing standing in the way of the free-fall. good luck finding a job while the US bonds are defaulting. probability: 29%.

d) Zombie Scenario. Google has moved into bioengineering and make the super cure. every disease ever has been cured! oops, it make ppl in the living dead. you are running for your life trying not to be eaten. while living in the woods you stumble into the decrepit Cornell Law campus. it is still a shit-hole. probability: 1%


<3 you GW

Bumi
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Re: how's the job market?

Postby Bumi » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:06 pm

Noval wrote:Go ask that to the goddamn government, which keeps opening new law schools regardless of the demand growth...


Law firms aren't the customers of law schools, students are. And there is plenty of demand from them, apparently through 2020 at least.

User avatar
sophia.olive
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: how's the job market?

Postby sophia.olive » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:40 pm

gwuorbust wrote:by 2020 either:

a) Anarchy Scenario. our economy has slid into a complete Detroit-esk status cause nobody has jobs and there is a rampant corruption, poverty, and social collapse. being a lawyer isn't your concern; not getting shot is. probability: 10%.

b) Stalling Scenario. the economy is just as it is right now but 10 years later. we have gained many new high-tech industries, however, we have also lost a ton more jobs to China. demand for lawyers is the same but law schools have pumped out 100k law students a year in excess of demand for 10 year.. can you say supply imbalance? probability: 70%.

c) Bubble Scenario. Mitt Romney is elected in 2012, brings back the US economy and by 2017 finance finds the newest investment that will lead to returns without risk!!! you enter law school just as it is peaking at 2020. Models and bottles from Cooley!!!! because of increased deregulation by the GOP, however, there is now nothing standing in the way of the free-fall. good luck finding a job while the US bonds are defaulting. probability: 29%.

d) Zombie Scenario. Google has moved into bioengineering and make the super cure. every disease ever has been cured! oops, it make ppl in the living dead. you are running for your life trying not to be eaten. while living in the woods you stumble into the decrepit Cornell Law campus. it is still a shit-hole. probability: 1%

+110%

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10380
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: how's the job market?

Postby TTH » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:37 am

--ImageRemoved--

ogurty
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:16 am

Re: how's the job market?

Postby ogurty » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:02 pm

Ummm, can a mod move this to the TLS Class of 2020 forum? It's clogging my chi :cry:




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baller31, deadthrone7, wg6524 and 13 guests