how's the job market?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
redgreenpaper

how's the job market?

Postby redgreenpaper » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:19 pm

for corporate lawyers. im probably going to graduate law school in 2019-2020 and i was wondering if anyone had any insight. i currently live in canada but may consider moving to the states and maybe hong kong.

if anybody knows about the job market for corporate lawyers in canada, united states, and hong kong that would be great. thanks.

bk1

Re: how's the job market?

Postby bk1 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:21 pm

Hold on, let me get my crystal ball.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:40 pm

I asked the fortune-telling gypsy machine, but all it said was "big".

ZXCVBNM

Postby ZXCVBNM » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:47 pm

What do you think I'll need to get on the LSAT in the year 2130 to get into Cooley? 170 range? I'm taking practice exams and scoring in the mid 130's. Do you think I can raise my score by 40 points in the next 100 years? Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

kswiss

Postby kswiss » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:54 pm

first, learn to use the toilet all by yourself...

then... puberty.

Then: finish high school / experiment with drugs and sex,

Finally: ask this question.

nealric

Postby nealric » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:27 pm

OP:

I know people are being snarky and all, but really- your time frame is way too far in the future. Nobody can tell you what the job market is going to be like a decade from now. For all we know, WWIII is going to end the world before then.

In the mean time, just study hard and get good grades. That's all you can do.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:42 pm

Please be a flame cause if not, I worry about the idea of you going to law school.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:45 pm

redgreenpaper wrote:for corporate lawyers. im probably going to graduate law school in 2019-2020 and i was wondering if anyone had any insight. i currently live in canada but may consider moving to the states and maybe hong kong.

if anybody knows about the job market for corporate lawyers in canada, united states, and hong kong that would be great. thanks.

BIGINDIALAW will pwn all. Also, SPACELAW will have realy come into its own by then.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:51 pm

redgreenpaper wrote:for corporate lawyers. im probably going to graduate law school in 2019-2020 and i was wondering if anyone had any insight. i currently live in canada but may consider moving to the states and maybe hong kong.

Do your parents know you're on the internet right now?

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:53 pm

rad law wrote:Do your parents know you're on the internet right now?

weeeell played

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:57 pm

redgreenpaper

Postby redgreenpaper » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:04 pm

wow thanks for the smart ass comments guys. well if anybody knows the conditions now that would be cool.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:07 pm

redgreenpaper wrote:wow thanks for the smart ass comments guys. well if anybody knows the conditions now that would be cool.

Read Above the Law, WSJ Law blog, and the Am Law daily every day.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:07 pm

redgreenpaper wrote:wow thanks for the smart ass comments guys. well if anybody knows the conditions now that would be cool.

Also, welcome to TLS.

nealric

Postby nealric » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:10 pm

They are terrible. Thanks for asking.

Drummingreg

Postby Drummingreg » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:19 pm

Sorry about these jokesters. Some people are just immature. To answer your question, Hong Kong Corporate law will see a large upswing over the next 5-7 years while there will be a large decline in Canada and the United States. Unfortunately for you as we get into the year 2018 there will be a complete collapse of governmental ruling throughout the world. This of course will be due to the first self aware computer being constructed as an experiment in A.I. Our new robot overlords will not find a practical use for lawyers except as a source of fuel. Overall, I think corporate law is the way to go. That or try to prevent the apocalypse. Your call.

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:20 pm

redgreenpaper wrote:if anybody knows about the job market for corporate lawyers in canada, united states, and hong kong that would be great. thanks.

You've come to the wrong forum. This is the forum for legal job market speculation for corporate lawyers in mexico, nepal and trinidad.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:32 pm

Drummingreg wrote:

Sorry about these jokesters. Some people are just immature. To answer your question, Hong Kong Corporate law will see a large upswing over the next 5-7 years while there will be a large decline in Canada and the United States. Unfortunately for you as we get into the year 2018 there will be a complete collapse of governmental ruling throughout the world. This of course will be due to the first self aware computer being constructed as an experiment in A.I. Our new robot overlords will not find a practical use for lawyers except as a source of fuel. Overall, I think corporate law is the way to go. That or try to prevent the apocalypse. Your call.

Now THIS is what I call well executed.

lawschoollll

Postby lawschoollll » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:36 pm

You'll be able to do doc review on your iPad 2.0!!

pocket herc

Postby pocket herc » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:38 pm

I'm sorry bro, in 2016 you die

bostlaw

Postby bostlaw » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:39 pm

rad law wrote:

Also, welcome to TLS.

win.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:43 pm

Terrible. Too many lawyers. If you want corporate law you need to go to a top school (top 10-ish).

Probably won't be dramatically better in 10 years. Law as a field is expected to grow slowly.

You're going to be applying to college soon, so this isn't really that bad a time to think about it. I'll go against the grain and say that there would be a lot fewer people in law school if they had thought hard about what they wanted to do and what kind of skills they had while still in high school. The "you can be whatever you want!" stuff white people are all about is bullshit. Study hard on your SATs, get into a good college, and major in something where you can get a job.

If you still want to pursue law your junior year of college and can get an LSAT score that will get you into a top school, then go for it.

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:04 pm

rayiner wrote:

Terrible. Too many lawyers. If you want corporate law you need to go to a top school (top 10-ish).

Probably won't be dramatically better in 10 years. Law as a field is expected to grow slowly.

You're going to be applying to college soon, so this isn't really that bad a time to think about it. I'll go against the grain and say that there would be a lot fewer people in law school if they had thought hard about what they wanted to do and what kind of skills they had while still in high school. The "you can be whatever you want!" stuff white people are all about is bullshit. Study hard on your SATs, get into a good college, and major in something where you can get a job.

If you still want to pursue law your junior year of college and can get an LSAT score that will get you into a top school, then go for it.

Fuckin white people :mrgreen:

redgreenpaper

Postby redgreenpaper » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:40 pm

rayiner wrote:

thanks man. i liked your answer not only because it wasnt a smart ass comment but because it was actually helpful

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:42 pm

redgreenpaper wrote:
rayiner wrote:

thanks man. i liked your answer not only because it wasnt a smart ass comment but because it was actually helpful

Have so much anger the young one does. Wise in the ways of the force he is not.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”