law school costs too much

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
dailygrind

Re: law school costs too much

Postby dailygrind » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:29 pm

robin600 wrote:Yeah there's no lying that MI's funding sucks. It just sucks that they take it out on in-state tuition and not more on out of state.

lol, so you are peeved that a school which receives almost no money from the state doesn't give back more to state residents? i feel like i can see their point of view on this one...

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:30 pm

Veyron wrote:Glad we agree.

that you're insufferable? completely

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:36 pm

IAFG wrote:
Veyron wrote:Glad we agree.

that you're insufferable? completely

Darling, you don't always have to play hard to get.

PunjabiLower

Postby PunjabiLower » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:31 pm

dood wrote:
PunjabiLower wrote:we're paying around 100 bucks per lecture. Sure, I'm learning something...but I grasp concepts much more when I read textbooks and old outlines...i think 40K for tuition is too much! I'd rather read textbooks and take exams. I'm not much of an auditory listener.

only costs too much if ur poor BRO

lol dumb

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:27 am

Veyron wrote:
romothesavior wrote:IIRC, one of my profs from undergrad said that the reason that Michigan charges so much (across the board, not just for LS) is because the state doesn't fund it very well. The school doesn't get as much funding from the state as it should, so it has to compensate for it by jacking up tuition and turning to private funds (which, thankfully, it gets a lot of). While I'm sure the school shouldn't be absolved of blame, a lot of it should also fall on the festering shit hole of a state that it is located in. My prof (who went there, btw) told me that a few years ago there were some rumblings about possibly moving to become a private institution at some point, which might make some sense. But I don't know a whole lot about it.

Also, veyron... the swipe at Wash U was completely uncalled for, completely unnecessary, and completely dick-ish.

Just pointing out the latent hypocracy, wouldn't have made the swipe if he haden't been an idiot.

Besides, truth is an absolute defense to libel.

What hypocrisy? This thread is about law school costing too much, and Robin pointed out how it sucks that Michigan residents get like a $1,500 discount at their state school. While I ultimately think she is wrong to feel like she does (for the reason dailygrind just mentioned, i.e. that it isn't the school's fault that the school funds it so poorly), I don't really see what was up with your response.

So... what the fuck are you talking about, you monumentally huge douchetruck?

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:36 am

romothesavior wrote: douchetruck

:lol: :lol:

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:41 am

romothesavior wrote: douchetruck

bigben

Postby bigben » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:28 pm

TigerBeer wrote:obviously the market is going to function imperfectly when you go around making ridiculous assumptions like "people act rationally."

When it comes to deciding whether to spend 200k on law school, the onus is on the owner of the 200k to decide whether it is rational. A person with 200k in their pocket is likely sophisticated enough to make an informed decision. The problem we have today is that the government is irrationally shelling out 200k in loans that cannot and will not be repaid.

bigben

Postby bigben » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:36 pm

kalvano wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:
kalvano wrote:$100/lecture equals about $100/hour, which, for access to the professors, is far less than what they would typically bill a client.

The entire section is the client. Not each individual student. Granted, they would be billing for time spent grading exams and preparing for lectures, but the billing rate a section pays for the professors time is likely to be substantially higher than the rate those professors would be billing clients at.

Wouldn't the professor be there to teach whether the class had 90 people or 5 people?

Lol no. If 90 people were paying and only 5 were there, yes. Or if only 5 people were there and they were paying 18 times as much.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”