law school costs too much

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
PunjabiLower

law school costs too much

Postby PunjabiLower » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:15 pm

we're paying around 100 bucks per lecture. Sure, I'm learning something...but I grasp concepts much more when I read textbooks and old outlines...i think 40K for tuition is too much! I'd rather read textbooks and take exams. I'm not much of an auditory listener.

romothesavior

Re: law school costs too much

Postby romothesavior » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:16 pm

Also, the sky is blue.

(I do feel ya though)

helfer snooterbagon

Postby helfer snooterbagon » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:17 pm

I agree. It is expensive. You should go to school at night. Get a full scholarship and a job. It won't seem so expensive then.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:18 pm

PunjabiLower wrote:law school costs too much

Why yes it does.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:19 pm

helfer snooterbagon wrote:I agree. It is expensive. You should go to school at night. Get a full scholarship and a job. It won't seem so expensive then.

Yeah but it'll be harder to land a job.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:21 pm

In some ways you're paying for the degree more than the education. This is why rankings matter; you're likely to get a higher return on investment by paying nearly the same tuition for a degree from a more prestigious institution.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:28 pm

Quit your bitching.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:35 pm

I actually calculated out how much every day of class cost me last semester, and it was something ridiculous like $700 per day (I only had class 3 days /week). Looking at it that way certainly devalued money generally for me. I mean I could go out and blow $200 in a night drinking or whatever and it would still less than a 1/3 of what I pay for 1 DAY of class. I could burn $1000 on a three day vacation and it still would only come out to what a day and a half of class would cost me. Comparing the cost of school to just about anything else makes everything look cheap relatively speaking. So, yeah, law school is a ripoff.

DiscoveryDeadline

Postby DiscoveryDeadline » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:39 pm

Then don't go.

Something is worth as much as the market is willing to pay for it.

People are willing to pay $40K per year for a law degree.

Hence, for now, a law degree is worth $40K a year.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:01 pm

PunjabiLower wrote:we're paying around 100 bucks per lecture. Sure, I'm learning something...but I grasp concepts much more when I read textbooks and old outlines...i think 40K for tuition is too much! I'd rather read textbooks and take exams. I'm not much of an auditory listener.

Congratulations for deducing the what was intuitively obvious to those of us who figured out in the very beginning what we were getting to.

The tuition will only keep rising as long as we have more people going in without really knowing what they're in for.

PunjabiLower

Postby PunjabiLower » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:27 pm

I'm already in law school...and I'm not stating the obvious. I think putting it in terms of $100 per lecture gives another perspective. Definitely getting JIPPED...even if I went to harvard. I'm talking merely paying for the value of an education. Some of my professors lecture right out of the book or sometimes right off powerpoint slides...and I go to a T1. Half the class is on facebook/youtube because they know professors send out powerpoint slides and their own outlines right after each section.

PunjabiLower

Postby PunjabiLower » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:29 pm

dextermorgan wrote:Quit your bitching.

E-dick

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:32 pm

It's spelled "gypped".

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:36 pm

zeth006 wrote:
PunjabiLower wrote:we're paying around 100 bucks per lecture. Sure, I'm learning something...but I grasp concepts much more when I read textbooks and old outlines...i think 40K for tuition is too much! I'd rather read textbooks and take exams. I'm not much of an auditory listener.

Congratulations for deducing the what was intuitively obvious to those of us who figured out in the very beginning what we were getting to.

The tuition will only keep rising as long as we have more people going in without really knowing what they're in for.

People are actually avoiding MBA programs right now because of the low cost/benefit ratio. But it hasn't caused a decline in MBA tuition. I don't think anything will stop tuition from rising short of some kind of drastic government action.

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:47 pm

PunjabiLower wrote: I'm not much of an auditory listener.

I feel ya...I'm much more of a urinary listener

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:49 pm

General Tso wrote:
People are actually avoiding MBA programs right now because of the low cost/benefit ratio. But it hasn't caused a decline in MBA tuition. I don't think anything will stop tuition from rising short of some kind of drastic government action.

popping of education bubble?

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:55 pm

IAFG wrote:
General Tso wrote:

popping of education bubble?

I'd say yes.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:33 pm

DiscoveryDeadline wrote:Something is worth as much as the market is willing to pay for it.

Come on... you are smart enough and well-versed enough in the legal market to know that this is BLATANTLY untrue.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:36 pm

romothesavior wrote:
DiscoveryDeadline wrote:Something is worth as much as the market is willing to pay for it.

Come on... you are smart enough and well-versed enough in the legal market to know that this is BLATANTLY untrue.

Technically, he's right. Supply and demand. But the market functions imperfectly due to govt. loans and lack of real info.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:43 pm

rad law wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Technically, he's right. Supply and demand. But the market functions imperfectly due to govt. loans and lack of real info.

Shouldn't you be out chasing tail?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:54 pm

romothesavior wrote:
rad law wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Shouldn't you be out chasing tail?

In due time, buddy.

frost

Postby frost » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:23 pm

PunjabiLower wrote:I'm already in law school...and I'm not stating the obvious. I think putting it in terms of $100 per lecture gives another perspective. Definitely getting JIPPED...even if I went to harvard. I'm talking merely paying for the value of an education. Some of my professors lecture right out of the book or sometimes right off powerpoint slides...and I go to a T1. Half the class is on facebook/youtube because they know professors send out powerpoint slides and their own outlines right after each section.

My college tuition was about the same and I definitely think it's more worth it to pay $100 per law school lecture than for some of the useless liberal arts classes I was forced to take. Sure, law school tuition is unjustifiably high, but they tell you exactly how much it costs before you decided to attend. Not sure how this new "perspective" changes things.

shanemahsa

Postby shanemahsa » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:28 pm

GATORTIM wrote:
PunjabiLower wrote: I'm not much of an auditory listener.

I feel ya...I'm much more of a urinary listener

It's like you read my mind... wait, are you a urinary reader too? Because I'm not a very visual reader.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:43 pm

rad law wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

the "market" functions imperfectly because the market is an abstract construct and we live in the real world

shanemahsa

Postby shanemahsa » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:45 pm

Borhas wrote:
rad law wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

the "market" functions imperfectly because the market is an abstract construct and we live in the real world

The Matrix has you.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”