Who's going home for Thanksgiving weekend before finals?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Do you plan to go home for the weekend?

Yes. Home is 200+ miles from school.
34
39%
No. Home is 200+ miles from school.
32
36%
Yes. I go to school within commuting distance of my home anyway.
16
18%
Other (Explain).
6
7%
 
Total votes: 88

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Who's going home for Thanksgiving weekend before finals?

Postby zeth006 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:35 am

Just curious. I'd have to pay $130 for a round-trip plane ticket if I were to want to go home for Thanksgiving weekend. Is it really common to do this? I plan on having my outlines all finished by then, so I'm not sure how productive my practice testing would be for the 3-4 days I'm gone.

I'd ideally refine my outlines, use Civ Pro flash cards, and maybe do a couple of practice during the day time and goof off with buddies and family members at night time.

Any thoughts on the wisdom of doing this?

User avatar
Gatriel
Posts: 2015
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:30 pm

Re: Who's going home for Thanksgiving weekend before finals?

Postby Gatriel » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:56 am

Do it. I couldn't imagine being alone of T-giving.

MTU
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:33 am

Re: Who's going home for Thanksgiving weekend before finals?

Postby MTU » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:28 am

2L here. While I only live 2 hours from home, I'd say about half the school went home for break last year. Sure you have work to do, but taking a break allowed me to be that much more efficient when I returned.

Whether it's worth the cost, that really depends on your financial situation. If this prevents you from going home, I would strongly suggest taking a couple days completely off, or at least scale back the work significantly.

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: Who's going home for Thanksgiving weekend before finals?

Postby zeth006 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:34 am

MTU wrote:2L here. While I only live 2 hours from home, I'd say about half the school went home for break last year. Sure you have work to do, but taking a break allowed me to be that much more efficient when I returned.

Whether it's worth the cost, that really depends on your financial situation. If this prevents you from going home, I would strongly suggest taking a couple days completely off, or at least scale back the work significantly.



Cost isn't a really huge issue. Just sitting on the fence as I'm not 100% confident I'll be completely productive while I'm there. If I can pull even 6 hours of hardcore test prep a day while on vacation, I'd be stoked.

Plus I admit I'm pretty lonely and bored at school these days. :oops:

User avatar
strawberryfanta
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:49 am

Re: Who's going home for Thanksgiving weekend before finals?

Postby strawberryfanta » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:52 am

zeth006 wrote:Plus I admit I'm pretty lonely and bored at school these days. :oops:


Go home then. It'll do you good to see your family and help you reboot. :)

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: Who's going home for Thanksgiving weekend before finals?

Postby zeth006 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:57 am

strawberryfanta wrote:
zeth006 wrote:Plus I admit I'm pretty lonely and bored at school these days. :oops:


Go home then. It'll do you good to see your family and help you reboot. :)


Yeah, I've been pandering that in my head as one excuse.

User avatar
Other25BeforeYou
Posts: 503
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: Who's going home for Thanksgiving weekend before finals?

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:57 am

zeth006 wrote:
MTU wrote:2L here. While I only live 2 hours from home, I'd say about half the school went home for break last year. Sure you have work to do, but taking a break allowed me to be that much more efficient when I returned.

Whether it's worth the cost, that really depends on your financial situation. If this prevents you from going home, I would strongly suggest taking a couple days completely off, or at least scale back the work significantly.



Cost isn't a really huge issue. Just sitting on the fence as I'm not 100% confident I'll be completely productive while I'm there. If I can pull even 6 hours of hardcore test prep a day while on vacation, I'd be stoked.

Plus I admit I'm pretty lonely and bored at school these days. :oops:

I didn't do a single hour of a work over Thanksgiving break my 1L year. And it was exactly what the doctor ordered. I think the four day break from school cleared out my head and rested me up for the home stretch. Seriously, if you don't do any work over break, you'll (a) be okay, and (b) maybe be better for it.

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Who's going home for Thanksgiving weekend before finals?

Postby CG614 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:03 am

Do you really need help from an internet board to decide on whether to go home for thanksgiving? How are you going to make decisions as an attorney?

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Who's going home for Thanksgiving weekend before finals?

Postby dakatz » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:20 am

Dude, its Thanksgiving. If you have the opportunity to go home, do it.

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: Who's going home for Thanksgiving weekend before finals?

Postby zeth006 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:03 pm

CG614 wrote:Do you really need help from an internet board to decide on whether to go home for thanksgiving? How are you going to make decisions as an attorney?



Image

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: Who's going home for Thanksgiving weekend before finals?

Postby BarbellDreams » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:12 pm

Home is 2000+ miles away and the fact that my first final is December 6th makes me think that I wouldn't go even if it was across the street.

User avatar
uwb09
Posts: 574
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:09 am

Re: Who's going home for Thanksgiving weekend before finals?

Postby uwb09 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:42 pm

home is 1000 miles away, and I'm going home the weekend BEFORE thanksgiving, family and I are gonna do a pre-thanksgiving dinner that weekend :)

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: Who's going home for Thanksgiving weekend before finals?

Postby zeth006 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:56 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Home is 2000+ miles away and the fact that my first final is December 6th makes me think that I wouldn't go even if it was across the street.


Well. That's the other problem. My crim final's on the 2nd.

aheisman
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:00 am

Re: Who's going home for Thanksgiving weekend before finals?

Postby aheisman » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:57 pm

2L here - I think I might go home this year. During 1L year I did not go home for Thanksgiving. It normally takes me 10 hours to fly home, because there are not any non-stop flights between my school's location and home. Although I stayed at school, I don't recall doing much work during Thanksgiving weekend.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Who's going home for Thanksgiving weekend before finals?

Postby Grizz » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:14 am

Gonna stay at LS, work, and fap for the whole week.

User avatar
mmmadeli
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:54 pm

Re: Who's going home for Thanksgiving weekend before finals?

Postby mmmadeli » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:36 am

Home is 3000 miles away and I have family here I can spend the day with, so I'm staying. But it was a tough decision, honestly -- if you can go, I'd say go, and I'll look on enviously.

User avatar
usuaggie
Posts: 585
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:43 pm

Re: Who's going home for Thanksgiving weekend before finals?

Postby usuaggie » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:44 am

going home, 850 miles and 400 dollars.

User avatar
SeymourShowz
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: Who's going home for Thanksgiving weekend before finals?

Postby SeymourShowz » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:10 pm

Home is less than 100 miles way but I'm spending all my time studying. I plan on eating Chinese food on Thursday night.
Last edited by SeymourShowz on Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: Who's going home for Thanksgiving weekend before finals?

Postby zeth006 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:18 pm

betasteve wrote:Everyone should go home. YOu should probably study a lot, but at the same time - take thursday off with family, breath, and relax for a day. Everything after thanksgiving is going to kick you in your crotch. It would be healthy to get a day of relaxation in.



I'll give myself until end of Friday to finalize my decision.

User avatar
solotee
Posts: 481
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: Who's going home for Thanksgiving weekend before finals?

Postby solotee » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:19 pm

Probably put a half day in, and then drive home for thanksgiving

User avatar
wesker
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:04 pm

Re: Who's going home for Thanksgiving weekend before finals?

Postby wesker » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:12 pm

leaving wendesday
Last edited by wesker on Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19639
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: Who's going home for Thanksgiving weekend before finals?

Postby dailygrind » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:40 pm

home is 6 hours away. i'm going nonetheless, probably for 2-4 days.

Kobe_Teeth
Posts: 964
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 am

Re: Who's going home for Thanksgiving weekend before finals?

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:15 pm

Home is 4hrs away but I'll going because my stupid sister is going to be having her stupid baby around that time.

User avatar
Doritos
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: Who's going home for Thanksgiving weekend before finals?

Postby Doritos » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:36 pm

Spending thanksgiving in the library eating a turkey sandwich alone.

User avatar
Tangerine Gleam
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: Who's going home for Thanksgiving weekend before finals?

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:00 am

Flying cross-country for 4 days without batting an eye. I plan to get plenty of studying done on the long-ass flights as well as some studying over the holiday weekend. First exam is 8 days after I get back...really not that worried about it.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests