Not saying I should start memorizing the UCC but . . .

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
GeePee

Re: Not saying I should start memorizing the UCC but . . .

Postby GeePee » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:52 pm

dakatz wrote:
Cupidity wrote:I don't know about the whole thing....but you know, a decent chunk of it might be wise.

Guess you aren't in my section then. My contracts class almost never touches on UCC material. Maybe 3 or 4 times has it even been mentioned so far.

If you haven't gotten to UCC principles directly yet, you will soon, especially since the UCC is good law for the sale of goods almost universally. 2-207, 2-209, and a few other sections are focal points of most classes.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:44 pm

GeePee wrote:
dakatz wrote:
Cupidity wrote:I don't know about the whole thing....but you know, a decent chunk of it might be wise.

Guess you aren't in my section then. My contracts class almost never touches on UCC material. Maybe 3 or 4 times has it even been mentioned so far.

If you haven't gotten to UCC principles directly yet, you will soon, especially since the UCC is good law for the sale of goods almost universally. 2-207, 2-209, and a few other sections are focal points of most classes.

Oh I don't doubt that in most contracts classes the UCC is a major point. But my contracts professor specifically told us that he barely touches upon it most of the semester. Contracts used to be a yearlong class here, so now that it is cut in half, he said that much of the UCC stuff was cut.

Oban

Postby Oban » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:46 am

I would ask your prof about what UCC to learn, My K prof has all but said she hates the UCC and prefers the common law or at least a common law analysis, she said she will grade you down if you use UCC when the question doesn't explicitly ask for it.

Stantheman

Postby Stantheman » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:55 pm

I remember (and hated) those days.

Don't worry so much about the UCC in contracts.

Later on, you'll probably take sales, which is an ENTIRE course dedicated just to article 2 of the UCC. Trying to memorize the entire thing, or even outline it is a waste of time this semester.

Go through your syllabus, look at which UCC sections are mentioned, and look at the major cases you studied that implicated a section of the UCC. List those ones in your outline and you'll be fine. If you can't figure out what they mean on their face, the UCC has some extensive notes which pretty much sum up most of the tests or case law without having to read the cases.

Also, ask a couple of 2Ls for their outlines and see which ones they put on.

The bottom line with contracts is that for the most part it emphasizes fairness and putting the aggreived party back to where they would have been before things went bad. If there are multiple tests, mention that in a majority of states the court sees this as X, the rest see this as Y.

Good luck, it eventually gets easier.
-S

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”