Not saying I should start memorizing the UCC but . . .

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Mickey Quicknumbers

Not saying I should start memorizing the UCC but . . .

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:25 pm

I seriously feel like I should. I'm outlining for contracts right now and it feels like every single case we've covered, there is a restatement or UCC section that explains exactly what we were looking for in the case. I'm having a hard time getting much other analysis out of my notes or even memory from the class. People who murdered contracts: advice please. Any good suggestions or had teachers like this?

(Barnett is my casebook btw)

Re: Not saying I should start memorizing the UCC but . . .

Postby 09042014 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:29 pm

I'm also using the Barnett casebook. I'm definitely going to put the UCC rules we read on my outline.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:31 pm

I don't know about the whole thing....but you know, a decent chunk of it might be wise.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:33 pm

I made a separate outline which was actually just an index of the relevant UCC provisions and Restatement sections. My index outline contained all the section numbers, titles of the sections, and the page numbers in my casebook (or statutory supplement) where I can find the provisions.

It's not essential to memorize the rules. It is necessary to be able to reference them quickly, decide which one applies, and then find the exact language of the rule quickly.

I murdered contracts. Favorite class so far.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:38 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I'm also using the Barnett casebook. I'm definitely going to put the UCC rules we read on my outline.

Yeah the start of LS was weird for us. 2 weeks of baby theft and pennoyer.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:43 pm

We talk so much about certain sections of the UCC in my class that we automatically memorize them.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:43 pm

delBarco wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I'm also using the Barnett casebook. I'm definitely going to put the UCC rules we read on my outline.

Yeah the start of LS was weird for us. 2 weeks of baby theft and pennoyer.

We didn't go through the casebook in order. We skipped remedies and do it later.

HGL's section has Barnett as their professor, I think they started with remedies.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:45 pm

JazzOne wrote:I made a separate outline which was actually just an index of the relevant UCC provisions and Restatement sections. My index outline contained all the section numbers, titles of the sections, and the page numbers in my casebook (or statutory supplement) where I can find the provisions.

It's not essential to memorize the rules. It is necessary to be able to reference them quickly, decide which one applies, and then find the exact language of the rule quickly.

But was there really a lot of substance to your outlines outside of the UCC, i'm freaking out because really all of the notes and points I took down can pretty much just be reworded as the UCC. Blah. Contracts is definitely my least favorite class.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:48 pm

delBarco wrote:
JazzOne wrote:I made a separate outline which was actually just an index of the relevant UCC provisions and Restatement sections. My index outline contained all the section numbers, titles of the sections, and the page numbers in my casebook (or statutory supplement) where I can find the provisions.

But was there really a lot of substance to your outlines outside of the UCC, i'm freaking out because really all of the notes and points I took down can pretty much just be reworded as the UCC. Blah. Contracts is definitely my least favorite class.

I don't like Contracts because the cases are all in a gray area. In fact I'm pretty sure I could just memorize the restatement sections I needed and the little UCC we've done and not know a single case and do okay.

jdubb990

Postby jdubb990 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:52 pm

I think most contract hypo's on a final will probably give you a hybrid transaction, and you'll have to go into all the ways the UCC will handle the situation if it is a sale of goods. And then you'll have to go into all the ways the common law will handle the situation if it is deemed a service or something else.

Though I think pretty much everything falls under goods or services.?

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:03 pm

We are actually given a supplement to our casebook that has Article 2 and the Restatement in it. Our professor draws from the rules in this supplement A LOT. I dunno if I should be copying all the stuff we cover to my outline (we cover a lot, but certainly not every rule), or if I should just memorize it separately and know how to apply it/what cases exemplify the rule. Either way, I'm pretty sure we need to know the sections we cover cold.

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:07 pm

I wouldn't memorize entire UCC sections. Try to highlight the key phrases and terms that your prof likes from each section tho. You won't have time to re-type entire sections of the UCC on the exam so just be able to get out the key phrases then plug them into your analysis.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:08 pm

delBarco wrote:

My main outline contained the cases and the underlying propositions supported by the cases. Most of those were unrelated to the UCC or Restatement. For instance, when are damages calculated by completion cost vs. diminution in value? There is no Restatement provision for that. You'll need cases to argue one way or the other. Another example: What about post-purchase licenses (e.g., shrinkwrap licenses). I don't think the UCC says anything about it, so you'd need the relevant case law.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:09 pm

jdubb990 wrote:I think most contract hypo's on a final will probably give you a hybrid transaction, and you'll have to go into all the ways the UCC will handle the situation if it is a sale of goods. And then you'll have to go into all the ways the common law will handle the situation if it is deemed a service or something else.

Though I think pretty much everything falls under goods or services.?

Real property is not a good or service.

eandy

Postby eandy » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:11 pm

traehekat wrote:We are actually given a supplement to our casebook that has Article 2 and the Restatement in it. Our professor draws from the rules in this supplement A LOT. I dunno if I should be copying all the stuff we cover to my outline (we cover a lot, but certainly not every rule), or if I should just memorize it separately and know how to apply it/what cases exemplify the rule. Either way, I'm pretty sure we need to know the sections we cover cold.

This. Our professor asks us to recite the UCC in class frequently. He is obsessed with us memorizing odd things, though. He is obsessed with Fuller, D.Dobbs, the UCC, etc. Like I can just see him saying on the exam, "What would Fuller say? What would D. Dobbs say? What does the UCC say?"

You better believe I am memorizing the key phrases and having the whole thing in my outline, indexed.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:16 pm

JPU wrote:I wouldn't memorize entire UCC sections. Try to highlight the key phrases and terms that your prof likes from each section tho. You won't have time to re-type entire sections of the UCC on the exam so just be able to get out the key phrases then plug them into your analysis.

TBF though, each specific section, that is relevant to our case, is directly following the case. So I do know exactly which UCC to memorize.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:34 pm

I used the Barnett casebook. Your instinct is correct: note the UCC and Restatement provisions that are printed at the end of each little section and go based on that. Remember that the UCC Section 2 is the only one that is actually enacted into law, and it only applies to the sale of goods.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:35 am

Put 'em into your outlines and just be aware of them. For my class, the prof actually told us he doesn't give a rat's ass if we cite them or literally put them word for word into our exams as he doesn't like show-offs anyway.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:39 am

wait, what the hell is a UCC, I feel like I may need to start paying more attention in class

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:40 am

For my outline, the page was split in half down the middle of the page between UCC and Restatement. If a particular case followed an approach from either the Restatement or UCC (which typically they did), I noted that in the relevant provision.

Forks in the law were never so easy. I did well in that class.

aheisman

Postby aheisman » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:01 am

I pretty much just studied the RST and UCC for my contracts final.

Gamecubesupreme

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:35 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:wait, what the hell is a UCC, I feel like I may need to start paying more attention in class

Top 10% material.

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:38 pm

Gamecubesupreme wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:wait, what the hell is a UCC, I feel like I may need to start paying more attention in class

Top 10% material.

my contracts class isn't dealing with the ucc. we've gone over it one time (and it happens to be today).

MVPson

Postby MVPson » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:00 pm

I read the entire UCC and restatement the day before the exam, paying particular attention to the comments and illustrations. If you have a multi-choice or short answer, this will prove useful. I'd do it again, but I would have done it earlier. Felt kind of rushed.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:08 pm

Cupidity wrote:I don't know about the whole thing....but you know, a decent chunk of it might be wise.

Guess you aren't in my section then. My contracts class almost never touches on UCC material. Maybe 3 or 4 times has it even been mentioned so far.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”