Put "Negotiations Competition Quarter-Finalist" on resume? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
twintipping_bumps

Bronze

Put "Negotiations Competition Quarter-Finalist" on resume?

Post by twintipping_bumps » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:52 am

So my negotiations partner and I made it through a few rounds of the competition. We lost last night in the quarter-finals. Alot of people have told me having negotiations on my resume and making it to the quarter-finals is pretty sweet.

However, I can't help but take the "second place is first loser" mentality -- and this isn't even second place. Maybe it is just the immediate aftermath bothering me, but is quarter-finals too far low to impress law firms, or is it something that would look good on a resume?

BlueDiamond

Silver

Re: Put "Negotiations Competition Quarter-Finalist" on resume?

Post by BlueDiamond » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:55 am

I have no idea to be honest.. but just reading it made me think "you didn't win.." I'm no expert on resumes though

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:06 pm

twintipping_bumps wrote: and this isn't even second place.
THIS

quarter finals is 8 right. So 5th at best?

twintipping_bumps

Bronze

Post by twintipping_bumps » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:19 pm

It went down from 77 teams to top 16 for the quarter-finals. Alot of people are saying just having the comp on your resume is good - but putting quarter-finals is kind of like 'yeah did pretty well but not at the very top.'

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:22 pm

Top 16 is not quarter finals though. I'm confused. quarter finals is 4 brackets

Edit: either way, I wouldn't put it unless I was top 3

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

twintipping_bumps

Bronze

Post by twintipping_bumps » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:28 pm

They're calling it quarter finals b/c there are two winning teams, so:

16, 8 for semis, 4 for finals.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:29 pm

If I were you, I would only list on the resume the fact that you competed in Negotiations Competitions.

Then, in an interview, if a person brings it up specifically, asks what your interests in law school are, or how you've liked law school, you can highlight the fact that alternative dispute resolution is something you're interested in, and you got the chance to participate in a negotions competition and finished 16th out of 77 teams.

twintipping_bumps

Bronze

Post by twintipping_bumps » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:34 pm

That makes sense. Maybe even just list it as (quarter-finalist from field of 77 teams) on resume?

I guess this a question to ask career services once we can meet with them later in 1L.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:39 pm

twintipping_bumps wrote:That makes sense. Maybe even just list it as (quarter-finalist from field of 77 teams) on resume?

I guess this a question to ask career services once we can meet with them later in 1L.

No, I wouldn't list how you placed. It just flows better in conversation. I had a few things like this on my resume; it's easier to say to someone, "I beat out 80 other people to be in this position," and make it seem significant than to make it significant writing "one of 10 selected in a field of 90."

Just my two cents as a 2L who has had some success with the whole job thing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

leobowski

Silver

Post by leobowski » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:11 pm

Just put "participated in" or "competed in xxx competition." Don't put your placement unless you were a finalist or went to regionals.

onthecusp

Bronze

Post by onthecusp » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:54 pm

leobowski wrote:Just put "participated in" or "competed in xxx competition." Don't put your placement unless you were a finalist or went to regionals.
Horrible advice, especially if they placed 8-5 out of out of 50+ other participants.

twintipping_bumps

Bronze

Post by twintipping_bumps » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:19 pm

onthecusp wrote:
leobowski wrote:Just put "participated in" or "competed in xxx competition." Don't put your placement unless you were a finalist or went to regionals.
Horrible advice, especially if they placed 8-5 out of out of 50+ other participants.
round of 16 out of 77?

(2 winners)

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:23 pm

twintipping_bumps wrote:
onthecusp wrote:
round of 16 out of 77?

(2 winners)
Again, IMO, just reading that is not gonna convey to anyone how difficult it was to make it or how significant of an achievement that actually is. Save the space on your resume, don't put the placement at all. I've had experience with this, and this suggestion came straight from the mouth of a DOJ recuriter.

Although, if you must put the place you finished in, you could put: "Quarter Finalist, Name of School Negotiations Competition"

leobowski

Silver

Post by leobowski » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:16 am

onthecusp wrote:

16th to 9th in a moot court competition is nothing special regardless of the number of teams, hate to burst your bubble pal. You sound like the kind of guy that would put "class rank: top half" on a resume.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”