Octoberwhelming

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: October=overwhelming

Postby JCougar » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:48 pm

I'm not sure why people think outlining takes so long. I outline every time we finish a big section. We finished intentional torts just a week ago, so I outlined that section. It really only took me 4 hours or so. In Contracts, we finished consideration after about 4 weeks, and it took me about 5 hours to outline that. I got it all done on a Saturday afternoon.

Am I missing something? What is everyone putting in their outlines that it's such a time-consuming thing to do? You need a rule (e.g. Illusory Contracts), a related case or two with the holdings and a very brief sketch of the relevant facts for each, and a line for policy stuff/other notes/elements. If necessary, you need a few lines for defenses. How does that take more than 10-15 minutes per rule?

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4858
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: October=overwhelming

Postby Borhas » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:48 pm

soaponarope wrote:Am I the only one who finds that outlining doesn't take too long? In Civ Pro, I outlined PJ and class notes in about 2 hours. It wasn't bad...


I take notes by hand, and summarize as I go... outlining doesn't take long at all, but reading and writing notes does

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: October=overwhelming

Postby MrKappus » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:53 pm

I have great news. WIth OCI and journals, 2L fall is much, much worse.

User avatar
goosey
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Re: October=overwhelming

Postby goosey » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:01 pm

It takes me a while, always longer than I expect it to. I had to add erie to my civ pro outline and it took a full hour and a half for that alone [not just the one case, but the progeny...hanna test, byrd test, etc]

I think its time consuming because youre gathering info from so many places... I have different sections in one note--one called briefs & corresponding notes, where I use the leews method for briefing/notes in class, then another for class notes for that day that dont belong next to the case (but usually wind up corresponding somehow..these are usually the "big picture" notes), and then a 3rd section of notes i take in the library from supplements, and then in civ pro and crim I have a section for MPC and FRCP, where I take notes on the rules themselves. i also take notes in my casebook on post-its, so just in putting all of that together it gets kind of crazy and takes a lot of time. I have to say though, one note makes this infinitely easier--I could never have been so organized on word and outlining would have been a disaster.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: October=overwhelming

Postby kalvano » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:51 pm

I am neither ahead nor behind in my classes. The workload is really no different than having a regular job.

I don't read too far ahead, but I do all my reading. I'm not outlining now because I don't need to review stuff I just went over. I'll outline as it gets closer to exams to review the stuff from the beginning of the year.

Right now all I care about is making sure I am understanding what I am supposed to understand.

User avatar
Amy wineBerry
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: October=overwhelming

Postby Amy wineBerry » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:56 am

goosey wrote:
Amy wineBerry wrote:I was just sitting in torts class thinking this exact same thing...I need to get it together. Doesn't help that we get our open memo LRW assignment this week :cry:


same. For some reason, legal writing doesnt stress me out. I usually get that done without many issues...I feel like there is so much "exam prep" I want to do and will never have time for. I am thankfully updated with my civ pro outline up until this weekend when I have one more section to add...I am two sections behind on torts and 2 sections behind on crim. I want to have all my flashcards made to go along with updated outlines and to have tables with cases for each section of the outline for civ pro because he wants case analogies. Then, I want to be doing cali lessons and using barbri's study smart software..and do e&e's...and read getting to maybe and review leews. And start taking practice November 1.

I feel like this will NEVER get done.


At least you have a plan laid out...sighhhh. And LRW...stress only comes in after noticing how tedious the assignment is. So time consuming, but I've promised to work on it at a steady pace...I'd much rather spend that time on E&Es though. I need to get a plan together...I know the end goal and I know what I need to do, I just have to map it out. I'm going to be a hermit for most of this month. I might have to pass on the Barrister's Ball as punishment for my lack of initiative the first 7 weeks smh

User avatar
stocksly33
Posts: 130
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:48 pm

Re: October=overwhelming

Postby stocksly33 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:24 am

Amy wineBerry wrote: At least you have a plan laid out...sighhhh. And LRW...stress only comes in after noticing how tedious the assignment is. So time consuming, but I've promised to work on it at a steady pace...I'd much rather spend that time on E&Es though. I need to get a plan together...I know the end goal and I know what I need to do, I just have to map it out. I'm going to be a hermit for most of this month. I might have to pass on the Barrister's Ball as punishment for my lack of initiative the first 7 weeks smh


are you treating lrw proper?

I neglect the fuck out of lrw. we only have one grade and that's the memo at the end. i just wait till we have an assignment and skim through the books to find the how-to. i just don't want to spare the time. and there's a ton of fluff in those lrw books.

User avatar
Amy wineBerry
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: October=overwhelming

Postby Amy wineBerry » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:47 am

stocksly33 wrote:
Amy wineBerry wrote: At least you have a plan laid out...sighhhh. And LRW...stress only comes in after noticing how tedious the assignment is. So time consuming, but I've promised to work on it at a steady pace...I'd much rather spend that time on E&Es though. I need to get a plan together...I know the end goal and I know what I need to do, I just have to map it out. I'm going to be a hermit for most of this month. I might have to pass on the Barrister's Ball as punishment for my lack of initiative the first 7 weeks smh


are you treating lrw proper?

I neglect the fuck out of lrw. we only have one grade and that's the memo at the end. i just wait till we have an assignment and skim through the books to find the how-to. i just don't want to spare the time. and there's a ton of fluff in those lrw books.


Definitely not reading the book. I don't even look at the examples unless the professor explicitly gives an assignment from the book. It remains in my locker. We have 5 graded assignments, all weighted differently. This semester, the open memo is 40% of our grade. Next semester the appellate brief is 40% of our grade. The professor has given us an example of what the memo should look like and I just mimic it. But when you have so many cases and a page limit, it gets tedious as you try and fit the most relevant facts while adhering to all guidelines. I take the assignment serious, but the class, I'm in it once a week taking up space.

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: October=overwhelming

Postby zeth006 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:23 am

Amy wineBerry wrote:
stocksly33 wrote:
Amy wineBerry wrote: The professor has given us an example of what the memo should look like and I just mimic it. But when you have so many cases and a page limit, it gets tedious as you try and fit the most relevant facts while adhering to all guidelines. I take the assignment serious, but the class, I'm in it once a week taking up space.


That's what I've been needing all this time. A sample memo. I've been visiting OHs and getting vague feedback and profuse praises only to find that my grade was mediocre at best.

WTF? First thing tomorrow when I meet my prof, I'm asking him for a sample for style/structure learning.

User avatar
Amy wineBerry
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: October=overwhelming

Postby Amy wineBerry » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:55 am

zeth006 wrote:
Amy wineBerry wrote:
stocksly33 wrote:
Amy wineBerry wrote: The professor has given us an example of what the memo should look like and I just mimic it. But when you have so many cases and a page limit, it gets tedious as you try and fit the most relevant facts while adhering to all guidelines. I take the assignment serious, but the class, I'm in it once a week taking up space.


That's what I've been needing all this time. A sample memo. I've been visiting OHs and getting vague feedback and profuse praises only to find that my grade was mediocre at best.

WTF? First thing tomorrow when I meet my prof, I'm asking him for a sample for style/structure learning.


I definitely have a pdf sample I'm willing to share. *The way I use it is to read a sentence, then make my sentence sound like the sentence there, bearing in mind I may need to add a sentence or two if needed. It's cutting corners, but as with anything, if done enough, you eventually learn what you should be doing and why.

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: October=overwhelming

Postby zeth006 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:21 pm

Amy wineBerry wrote:
zeth006 wrote:
Amy wineBerry wrote:I definitely have a pdf sample I'm willing to share. *The way I use it is to read a sentence, then make my sentence sound like the sentence there, bearing in mind I may need to add a sentence or two if needed. It's cutting corners, but as with anything, if done enough, you eventually learn what you should be doing and why.


Prof gave us a better idea of what he wanted, but I'd really appreciate it. I'll PM ya my e-mail.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: October=overwhelming

Postby 20160810 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:39 am

First of all, outlining takes as long as it takes for you to have a product which allows you to effectively synthesize the material you've learned. For some people that might be 0 minutes (those who can do well using the outline of a 2L friend, perhaps). For others, it might take a week. There is no "right" amount of time. Just do what works.

Secondly, calm down. If you're starting to feel the pinch now, that means you're doing it right. Hopefully you started out slow, did most of the readings, paid attention in class, socialized a lot, didn't burn out, and are now thinking something like "Hey, shit, it's October. With crunch time coming up, I better double down on the studying." If you're feeling this, there's bound to be a bit of concurrent stress: After all, you're about to spend the next 2 months working pretty damn hard. But relax, and let that stress take a backseat to a little self-congratulation, because you are one of the rare 1Ls who knows when to actually start working.

What you DON'T want to be right now is one of the kids who feels like he "needs a break," who chooses mid-October to BEGIN frequenting bar review because he spent the first 2 months in the library 24/7, etc. If you're only just getting started with hard work now, you shouldn't feel overwhelmed, you should feel like you timed things pretty perfectly.

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: October=overwhelming

Postby MrKappus » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:12 am

SBL wrote:First of all, outlining takes as long as it takes for you to have a product which allows you to effectively synthesize the material you've learned. For some people that might be 0 minutes (those who can do well using the outline of a 2L friend, perhaps). For others, it might take a week. There is no "right" amount of time. Just do what works.

Secondly, calm down. If you're starting to feel the pinch now, that means you're doing it right. Hopefully you started out slow, did most of the readings, paid attention in class, socialized a lot, didn't burn out, and are now thinking something like "Hey, shit, it's October. With crunch time coming up, I better double down on the studying." If you're feeling this, there's bound to be a bit of concurrent stress: After all, you're about to spend the next 2 months working pretty damn hard. But relax, and let that stress take a backseat to a little self-congratulation, because you are one of the rare 1Ls who knows when to actually start working.

What you DON'T want to be right now is one of the kids who feels like he "needs a break," who chooses mid-October to BEGIN frequenting bar review because he spent the first 2 months in the library 24/7, etc. If you're only just getting started with hard work now, you shouldn't feel overwhelmed, you should feel like you timed things pretty perfectly.


Damn. This post relaxed the hell out of ME...and I'm a 2L. You might've missed your calling as a life coach.

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: October=overwhelming

Postby kings84_wr » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:45 am

I remember feeling ultra overwhelmed and far behind about now last year. I worked insanely hard and by mid november still felt behind. Then I started doing study groups for classes and realized i was miles ahead. Law school is just overwhelming in general. You have to fight through it or use it as motivation, and know that basically everyone is in the same position.

as for the outlining or not outlining, everyone learns differently. I know people who did not make outlines at all, and did pretty well, i know people who outlined from the first week that did well. There is really no right answer.

User avatar
DearCan
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:13 am

Re: October=overwhelming

Postby DearCan » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:43 am

I propose the name of this thread be changed to "Octoberwhelming".

User avatar
goosey
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Re: October=overwhelming

Postby goosey » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:22 am

DearCan wrote:I propose the name of this thread be changed to "Octoberwhelming".


done.

and genius.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7250
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Octoberwhelming

Postby beach_terror » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:36 pm

Feeling a bit overwhelmed, but nothing too drastic. The only outline I need to start/update is my Torts, everything else is outlined up to the last major section we finished. After my midterm, I've devised a much better way of note-taking/outlining so I can handle it as I go.

Even though it's definitely starting to feel a bit "octoberwhelming", I feel like I'm heading in the right direction with everything... or at least I hope I am.

User avatar
Pretzel_Logic
Posts: 7797
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: October=overwhelming

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:27 pm

SBL wrote:First of all, outlining takes as long as it takes for you to have a product which allows you to effectively synthesize the material you've learned. For some people that might be 0 minutes (those who can do well using the outline of a 2L friend, perhaps). For others, it might take a week. There is no "right" amount of time. Just do what works.

Secondly, calm down. If you're starting to feel the pinch now, that means you're doing it right. Hopefully you started out slow, did most of the readings, paid attention in class, socialized a lot, didn't burn out, and are now thinking something like "Hey, shit, it's October. With crunch time coming up, I better double down on the studying." If you're feeling this, there's bound to be a bit of concurrent stress: After all, you're about to spend the next 2 months working pretty damn hard. But relax, and let that stress take a backseat to a little self-congratulation, because you are one of the rare 1Ls who knows when to actually start working.

What you DON'T want to be right now is one of the kids who feels like he "needs a break," who chooses mid-October to BEGIN frequenting bar review because he spent the first 2 months in the library 24/7, etc. If you're only just getting started with hard work now, you shouldn't feel overwhelmed, you should feel like you timed things pretty perfectly.



Well, I feel totally awesome about just barely starting outlining now. This pretty well describes how I've approached this whole law school thing . . . the "OMG WTF AM I DOING" hit late last week. haha.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: October=overwhelming

Postby rayiner » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:30 pm

goosey wrote:
Amy wineBerry wrote:I was just sitting in torts class thinking this exact same thing...I need to get it together. Doesn't help that we get our open memo LRW assignment this week :cry:



same. For some reason, legal writing doesnt stress me out. I usually get that done without many issues...I feel like there is so much "exam prep" I want to do and will never have time for. I am thankfully updated with my civ pro outline up until this weekend when I have one more section to add...I am two sections behind on torts and 2 sections behind on crim. I want to have all my flashcards made to go along with updated outlines and to have tables with cases for each section of the outline for civ pro because he wants case analogies. Then, I want to be doing cali lessons and using barbri's study smart software..and do e&e's...and read getting to maybe and review leews. And start taking practice November 1.

I feel like this will NEVER get done.


Don't do things just to do things. Learn the law. There isn't much of it.

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10384
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: Octoberwhelming

Postby TTH » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:31 am

A family crisis and a wedding (were not the same event) cropped up over my fall break and destroyed any opportunity to get any work done, and as a result, I started this week a day behind on the reading in most classes. I've almost caught up, but I'm totally stressed out and feel like I'm just going through the motions. I think back to all that shit I read in the advice threads about being laser-focused on the final all the way through the semester and think to myself, "Gee, I hope I enjoy median."

User avatar
Ersatz Haderach
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:42 am

Re: October=overwhelming

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:59 am

zeth006 wrote:
kalvano wrote:
zeth006 wrote:Check out how packed the library gets and how heavy the air grows with the stress vibes.



I hate being in the library with other people. I do 99% of everything from home and it's so much more relaxing.


Yeah. Some of us who live off campus are contemplating setting up a "command center" of some sorts apart from the library.


Oh man. Having paper chase fantasies now. Let's buy a foreclosed home and study like serial killers.

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: Octoberwhelming

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:56 am

Our legal writing professor said that if you arent done with multiple drafts of all your outlines by now you are way behind. Girls started crying after class. I laughed.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Octoberwhelming

Postby kalvano » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:34 am

BarbellDreams wrote:Our legal writing professor said that if you arent done with multiple drafts of all your outlines by now you are way behind. Girls started crying after class. I laughed.



Legal writing professors are sadists that enjoy the inflicting pain as much as possible, and will take every opportunity to do so.

User avatar
mbusch22
Posts: 255
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:08 pm

Re: Octoberwhelming

Postby mbusch22 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:49 am

kalvano wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:Our legal writing professor said that if you arent done with multiple drafts of all your outlines by now you are way behind. Girls started crying after class. I laughed.



Legal writing professors are sadists that enjoy the inflicting pain as much as possible, and will take every opportunity to do so.


+1 & lol at girls crying.

Other than EE's and cali lessons, where are good places to find hypos? Some of my profs aren't really offering any practice exams at this point and I kinda want to get started exercising and applying some of the info instead of just "knowing" the BLL. Are the Crunchtime books worth it?

User avatar
robin600
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: Octoberwhelming

Postby robin600 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:53 am

mbusch22 wrote:
kalvano wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:Our legal writing professor said that if you arent done with multiple drafts of all your outlines by now you are way behind. Girls started crying after class. I laughed.



Legal writing professors are sadists that enjoy the inflicting pain as much as possible, and will take every opportunity to do so.


+1 & lol at girls crying.

Other than EE's and cali lessons, where are good places to find hypos? Some of my profs aren't really offering any practice exams at this point and I kinda want to get started exercising and applying some of the info instead of just "knowing" the BLL. Are the Crunchtime books worth it?

Crunchtime is really basic but broad. I recommend Friedman's Practice Series for sample exams.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: TragicBronson and 11 guests