Octoberwhelming Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
goosey

Gold

Octoberwhelming

Post by goosey » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:07 pm

8 weeks till finals..and what makes it worse is that I feel like it was just yesterday that I was thinking "omg its almost october" and we're already 5 days into it. time is flying way too fast..and im starting to feel like i'll never finish everything i want to finish
Last edited by goosey on Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

SeymourShowz

Bronze

Re: October=overwhelming

Post by SeymourShowz » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:45 pm

Fastest 7 weeks of my life.

lawschoolftw

Bronze

Post by lawschoolftw » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:54 pm

agreed, for the first time since school started, I'm feeling VERY overwhelmed.

Amy wineBerry

New

Post by Amy wineBerry » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:57 pm

I was just sitting in torts class thinking this exact same thing...I need to get it together. Doesn't help that we get our open memo LRW assignment this week :cry:

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:15 pm

Wait til November comes around. If October is overwhelming, November will be pure insanity. Check out how packed the library gets and how heavy the air grows with the stress vibes.

That said, I'm behind on my memo and I have a long weekend ahead of me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:40 pm

Amy wineBerry wrote:I was just sitting in torts class thinking this exact same thing...I need to get it together. Doesn't help that we get our open memo LRW assignment this week :cry:

same. For some reason, legal writing doesnt stress me out. I usually get that done without many issues...I feel like there is so much "exam prep" I want to do and will never have time for. I am thankfully updated with my civ pro outline up until this weekend when I have one more section to add...I am two sections behind on torts and 2 sections behind on crim. I want to have all my flashcards made to go along with updated outlines and to have tables with cases for each section of the outline for civ pro because he wants case analogies. Then, I want to be doing cali lessons and using barbri's study smart software..and do e&e's...and read getting to maybe and review leews. And start taking practice November 1.

I feel like this will NEVER get done.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:48 pm

zeth006 wrote:Check out how packed the library gets and how heavy the air grows with the stress vibes.

I hate being in the library with other people. I do 99% of everything from home and it's so much more relaxing.

stocksly33

Bronze

Post by stocksly33 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:49 pm

you read my mind.

i just can't find the time to do hypos and exam prep. reading and outlining takes up nearly all of my time. I'm mostly worried i'll keep treading water like this till the end of november and won't be able to do hypos/exam prep until it's too late.

stocksly33

Bronze

Post by stocksly33 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:51 pm

kalvano wrote:
zeth006 wrote:Check out how packed the library gets and how heavy the air grows with the stress vibes.

I hate being in the library with other people. I do 99% of everything from home and it's so much more relaxing.
me too. law school is stressful enough as is. no need to put yourself in an environment that makes it worse. plus it's hard to outline/take notes/do research on a laptop with no mouse. i go home to a proper work station.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:36 pm

stocksly33 wrote:
kalvano wrote:

me too. law school is stressful enough as is. no need to put yourself in an environment that makes it worse. plus it's hard to outline/take notes/do research on a laptop with no mouse. i go home to a proper work station.
I don't know about 2Ls at your schools, but every 2L I know would love to be under so little stress. It'll get worse before it gets better.

stocksly33

Bronze

Post by stocksly33 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:41 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
stocksly33 wrote:
kalvano wrote:

I don't know about 2Ls at your schools, but every 2L I know would love to be under so little stress. It'll get worse before it gets better.
i wasn't implying that i'm not stressed. I just like minimize stress in any way possible, hence studying at home.

the only 2l i spoke to said 1l is the most stressful year (with exception of oci), and he said first semester is the worst... but he is my mentor.. maybe he was just trying to make me feel better, haha

slider

Bronze

Post by slider » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:42 pm

I went into the library this morning at 8:00am and several student were already there - and it's Fall Break! Stress is really starting to kick in!

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:53 pm

kalvano wrote:

Yeah. Some of us who live off campus are contemplating setting up a "command center" of some sorts apart from the library.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:53 pm

stocksly33 wrote:you read my mind.

i just can't find the time to do hypos and exam prep. reading and outlining takes up nearly all of my time. I'm mostly worried i'll keep treading water like this till the end of november and won't be able to do hypos/exam prep until it's too late.
That leads to a question. How DO people find time for reading? I'm behind on outlining and i Need to spend this weekend catching up and starting on my Civ Pro outline.

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:57 pm

zeth006 wrote:

That leads to a question. How DO people find time for reading? I'm behind on outlining and i Need to spend this weekend catching up and starting on my Civ Pro outline.
There is no reason to outline now (you don't know what you need in an outline), so you are not behind. You have just not done the superfluous you think you should do.

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:02 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
zeth006 wrote:

There is no reason to outline now (you don't know what you need in an outline), so you are not behind. You have just not done the superfluous you think you should do.

I've been told that by many, but where then do we find the time to do practice tests?

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:08 pm

zeth006 wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:
zeth006 wrote:

I've been told that by many, but where then do we find the time to do practice tests?
That doesn't really matter because your practice test answers will suck if you outline now. You likely won't be sleeping in November anyway.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:11 pm

zeth006 wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:
zeth006 wrote:

That's why the majority of the work you do is at the end of the semester. You can't really put stuff all together and "get it" until the end. Really, you can do very little aside from reading and attending class all semester and then just turn it on at the end. This is also why lots of people on here say not to work so hard early in the semester to avoid burnout.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:12 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
zeth006 wrote:

That's ridiclous. Of course you know what you need in an outline--as much as you will ever know as a first sem 1L with no real exams under your belt. Were almost two months into the semester, half way done with the syllabus--to say that you can't know what is important in personal jurisdiction until you cover pleadings is totally ridiculous.

My outlines range from 8 pgs (crim) to 14 (civ pro)----i am memorizing them throughout the semester and plan on only using a checklist for the exam. I can't even begin to imagine how ppl will memorize outline that start them in november, unless they either fall behind in reading or else sacrifice practice exams. Oh, and then there's the memos that are due. Outlining right now is probably the best use of our time..aside from reading we have nothing else to do. Why would you delay it for when there are 10 other things you need to accomplish

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:20 pm

While I would not adopt the tone of certainty that characterized the above post, I do agree with the belief that outlining isn't such a terrible idea at this point. If we're done talking about governmental immunity in Torts and the Prof. says so, what compels us to wait a month before we type that up and outline it? Same way with actus reus or Personal Jurisdiction.

bleedcubbieblue

Bronze

Post by bleedcubbieblue » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:21 pm

I must be in the minority because I feel like I'm ahead in all of my classes. I have fall break starting on Thursday so I'm going to work on finishing up my first memo, doing some hypos/questions in the crunchtime books, and make an attempt to memorize my outlines.

I'm sure once late Nov. rolls around and the final memo is due I'll be stressing out, but for now, I don't think it's that bad.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:35 pm

bleedcubbieblue wrote:I must be in the minority because I feel like I'm ahead in all of my classes. I have fall break starting on Thursday so I'm going to work on finishing up my first memo, doing some hypos/questions in the crunchtime books, and make an attempt to memorize my outlines.

I'm sure once late Nov. rolls around and the final memo is due I'll be stressing out, but for now, I don't think it's that bad.
Ideally that's where I wanted to be.

In fact, assuming that my readings are level for the rest of the week as they usually, I'm going to spend the rest of my Wednesday Thursday this week getting caught up. Saturday is going to be straight up starting on my last outline and digging through note for the prof's inferences, nuances, and policy material.

soaponarope

Bronze

Post by soaponarope » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:38 pm

Am I the only one who finds that outlining doesn't take too long? In Civ Pro, I outlined PJ and class notes in about 2 hours. It wasn't bad...

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:42 pm

soaponarope wrote:Am I the only one who finds that outlining doesn't take too long? In Civ Pro, I outlined PJ and class notes in about 2 hours. It wasn't bad...
I'm just really slow and inefficient.

Part of it has to do with my constantly flipping through 3-4 older outlines to see whether I'm missing anything and whether I may be going down the wrong path in terms of finding an optimal structure that accommodates my thinking process.

Another issue is figuring out just what my prof wants.

Baylan

Bronze

Post by Baylan » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:30 pm

Personally, I'm not overwhelmed right now, but my final (and only graded) draft of my closed memo is due Monday, and while I've been outlining as I go, I haven't done a ton of work on it. Thankfully I've got Thursday afternoon and Friday off to get started and catch up with the stuff that I want to get done. Plan is to get 3 of my 4 substantive class outlines updated, and finish the memo so that I can focus on Sunday on my work for the rest of the week...

Not overwhelmed, just very busy.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”