Anyone still briefing?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
nleefer

Re: Anyone still briefing?

Postby nleefer » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:33 am

rynabrius wrote:
I ranked first at a t25 and transferred to U.Chicago.

Correlation doesn't imply causation, though, so I cannot say if it was worth my time.

FWIW I briefed every case my 1L year and am still doing it this year. Finished top 1% at a T2 and transferred to Berkeley. It takes more time up front during the semester, but it makes putting together an outline at the end much easier because you don't have to flip back through your book; you can just copy paste sections from your notes.

I subscribe to the school of thought that it's better to be moderately busy the whole semester rather than not busy until reading period.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:35 am

if you have asian parents, you may still need to be briefing...

--ImageRemoved--

plum

Postby plum » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:02 am

Last edited by plum on Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:02 am

nleefer wrote:I subscribe to the school of thought that it's better to be moderately busy the whole semester rather than not busy until reading period.

Same. Which is precisely why I'm starting my outlines over fall break and plan to keep them current throughout the semester as we finish each unit.

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:12 am

Have been updating an outline a week...gold star worthy?

And FWIW....its so much easier to do with a brief than otherwise. That time saver gives me time to go through and get tidbits from the E&E and other sources.

saucie

Postby saucie » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:40 am

I also briefed throughout my entire first year and ranked first. I recommend it.

DoubleChecks wrote:if you have asian parents, you may still need to be briefing...

--ImageRemoved--

I lol'd

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:12 am

DoubleChecks wrote:if you have asian parents, you may still need to be briefing...

--ImageRemoved--

I like this

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:27 am

I am. It doesn't take too long and having notes in my computer can help when I need to do a copy-paste job in during class or for my outlines.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:20 pm

Still briefing. If I'm really feeling lazy, I just copy/paste commercial excerpts and touch them up during class discussion.

goosey

Postby goosey » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:05 pm

still briefing, my notes make infinitely more sense 2 wks later when Im outlining if I have a brief. I should, note, however, that my briefs were never paragraphs worth of facts...they were a few sentences of the major facts, the courts reasoning, holding, and procedural posture

id imagine ill do this throughout law school

GummiBear

Postby GummiBear » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:48 pm

There is only one class that I read for, and that's because there is 5 people in the class and the professor will randomly call on people to do cases. He also gets into asinine details about what the trial court did and how they ruled/etc.

Other than that, I just google/etc. to prepare for my other classes

goosey

Postby goosey » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:03 pm

GummiBear wrote:There is only one class that I read for, and that's because there is 5 people in the class and the professor will randomly call on people to do cases. He also gets into asinine details about what the trial court did and how they ruled/etc.

Other than that, I just google/etc. to prepare for my other classes

are u a 1L? you so dont sound like a 1L

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:48 am

I still brief. Will definitely brief throughout the remainder of this semester. We'll see what happens next.

mbusch22

Postby mbusch22 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:04 am

why note the posture at all, aside from maybe getting asked about it in class?

goosey

Postby goosey » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:28 am

mbusch22 wrote:why note the posture at all, aside from maybe getting asked about it in class?

there are standards of review...maybe a court cant decide on review that something did or didnt constitute neglicgence (just as an example) but that their issue is whether or not it is possible for a jury to find negligence (say, in the case of a directed verdict--the court isnt asking if the decision was right, they are asking if there was an abuse of discretion, for ex) so in that case, the reasoning presented in the decision will be reflective of the issue they are addressing..i think noting the posture is important because in some cases it helps assure you are taking the right points in the right context out of the case

knowing the case is coming from a directed verdict helps you see what it is the court is trying to answer

Merr

Postby Merr » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:33 pm

I still brief. It helps me to focus while sorting out the cases.

mbusch22

Postby mbusch22 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:37 pm

goosey wrote:
mbusch22 wrote:why note the posture at all, aside from maybe getting asked about it in class?

there are standards of review...maybe a court cant decide on review that something did or didnt constitute neglicgence (just as an example) but that their issue is whether or not it is possible for a jury to find negligence (say, in the case of a directed verdict--the court isnt asking if the decision was right, they are asking if there was an abuse of discretion, for ex) so in that case, the reasoning presented in the decision will be reflective of the issue they are addressing..i think noting the posture is important because in some cases it helps assure you are taking the right points in the right context out of the case

knowing the case is coming from a directed verdict helps you see what it is the court is trying to answer

ehh no thanks. it's still pretty useless, IMHO

dbt

Postby dbt » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:38 pm

I continue to brief as a 2L.

Postby 20160810 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:27 am

I never once briefed, per se, but I made a spot for every single case we read and at least a line about the issue/holding in my outlines. This is quicker, and, in my opinion, more effective, as it allows you to see the case in terms of where it fits into the bigger picture of the course. Plus it allows you to outline as you read, to a degree.

Saves time. Works better. The SBL method.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:13 pm

I'm forced to brief for one of my classes, in the other 2 I book brief, but put the rule of law in my notes. I feel like I know the cases better when I'm not forced to brief on paper, because I can better focus on why that rule exists.

Gatriel

Postby Gatriel » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:57 am

No. Just book briefing. I'm studying more for finals than prepping for class.

MTU

Postby MTU » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:23 am

mbusch22 wrote:
goosey wrote:

ehh no thanks. it's still pretty useless, IMHO

Posture's important. Holding that a jury "might" (reversing summary judgment) be able to find negligence on the facts vs. Knowing that a judge properly (de novo) found negligence on the facts is a HUGE difference.

Won't help much with what the BLL is, but it will be immensely helpful when it's time to apply that law to new facts (i.e., law school exam).

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:51 am

rynabrius wrote:
IAFG wrote:
rynabrius wrote:I continued briefing throughout my entire first year.

... and then?

I'm not taking case-based courses this year. If I were, I think I would still be briefing. It doesn't take that long and it forces me to pay attention to the material--while annoying, this assists recall.

Briefing seems like a waste of time, especially when you can learn to mentally brief cases. Book briefing seems like the way to go.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:38 am

I'm still briefing and probably will continue to. My briefs are very short, but they save me from the peril of reading happily along, going "yep, this makes sense, got it" but then not being able to recite any of it back.

plum

Postby plum » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:22 am

BaiAilian2013 wrote:they save me from the peril of reading happily along, going "yep, this makes sense, got it" but then not being able to recite any of it back.

lol, doing the briefs doesn't seem to help me with this problem. while they allow me to organize the reasoning in notes, they don't seem to affect my recall all that much.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”