Is this a bad strategy?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
PunjabiLower

Is this a bad strategy?

Postby PunjabiLower » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:22 am

Last edited by PunjabiLower on Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

zeth006

Re: Is this a bad strategy?

Postby zeth006 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:36 am

PunjabiLower wrote:I think I am having a bit of trouble in law school...I just don't know a good process of learning. I currently don't pay much attention in class...and I haven't briefed a single case yet. I go to 90%+ of the classes(I don't pay attention...but I use the professor's powerpoint slides in my notes), I do all the casebook reading, get canned briefs for cases I don't understand, and use good 2L and 3L outlines(from the same professor) for studying. I am also relying on the EnE's and Dressler...and write anything I learn from the supps on the side of the 2L/3L outlines. However, my main focus is using the 2L and 3L outlines for understanding the classes. They go really well with the class because each outline is from the same professor I have. Thoughts? Should I brief cases or is it too late for that? The outlines I am using have the facts of each case and the legal rule/holding embedded into the relevant section of the outline...is this enough?

Also, I have been reading GTM and LSC throughout the semester and plan to read GTM twice before the semester is over.

Explain. I've been using canned briefs to supplement my casebook readings and my own personal briefs when I actually write them are maybe 5-8 sentences long. Nothing wrong with using outside supplements for class--my prop professor is ridiculously abstruse in his lectures that I rarely get anything from my notes for my outlines, 2 of which I'm basing off of older ones that were extremely well written.

Are you following your classes with little trouble? Are you able to understand everything the prof's saying?

stocksly33

Postby stocksly33 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:36 am

here are the questions i go through to help me formulate my strategy...

What are my prof's old tests like? What does my professor say in class that I can use for their test? What are the best resources (casebook, hornbooks, casebriefs, rulebooks, etc.) to help me understand the material needed for the test and deepen my understanding of nuances? What will help me be prepared for my professor's test (practicing exam writing under pressure, issue spotting, case research, policy research, etc.)? And ultimately, what do i need to put in my outline (because i'll forget come december), to study later, that will help me do well on the test?

BobSacamano

Postby BobSacamano » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:27 am

If you're in your first semester of law school I'd recommend trying to bump that 90% number closer to 100%. I can't imagine you have more important things to do at this stage of the game. I know some people will disagree, and it definitely depends on the professor, but I found that what the professor said in class was more important than anything read in the casebook. They're up there for a reason. The points and distinctions they stress in class need to find their way into your exam answers.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:47 am

PunjabiLower wrote:I think I am having a bit of trouble in law school...I just don't know a good process of learning. I currently don't pay much attention in class...and I haven't briefed a single case yet. I go to 90%+ of the classes(I don't pay attention...but I use the professor's powerpoint slides in my notes), I do all the casebook reading, get canned briefs for cases I don't understand, and use good 2L and 3L outlines(from the same professor) for studying. I am also relying on the EnE's and Dressler...and write anything I learn from the supps on the side of the 2L/3L outlines. However, my main focus is using the 2L and 3L outlines for understanding the classes. They go really well with the class because each outline is from the same professor I have. Thoughts? Should I brief cases or is it too late for that? The outlines I am using have the facts of each case and the legal rule/holding embedded into the relevant section of the outline...is this enough?

Also, I have been reading GTM and LSC throughout the semester and plan to read GTM twice before the semester is over.

Don't worry about the E&E's, Dressler, etc. until you fix the bolded above. The first step of doing well in law school is to go to class and pay attention.

TTH

Postby TTH » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:34 pm

Go to class and pay attention.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”