Elective 1L year (spring)?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Richie Tenenbaum

Elective 1L year (spring)?

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:40 pm

Was curious on some people's thoughts on taking an optional elective spring semester.

Would it be too much? (17 credit hours)
Good opportunity to try and take a seminar class and maximize GPA?

Would love to here the pros and cons since I really have no clue.
Last edited by Richie Tenenbaum on Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

worldtraveler

Re: Elective 1L year (spring)?

Postby worldtraveler » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:57 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Was curious on some people's thoughts on taking an optional elective spring semester. UT has added another LR&W course to it's spring semester and what was once a mandatory elective is now optional.

:?: I don't understand what a mandatory elective is. This also really depends on which class you take and how much work there is in it. Seminar classes can very a lot. I took one 1L year and wrote about 80 pages total, but I really enjoyed the class.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:47 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Was curious on some people's thoughts on taking an optional elective spring semester. UT has added another LR&W course to it's spring semester and what was once a mandatory elective is now optional.

I'm taking like 16 or 17 hours right now. Not that big a deal.

LoriBelle

Postby LoriBelle » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:53 am

Since 1L grades are so vital to the 2L job search, I would strongly recommend that you take only what is required and focus on nailing those classes. There is plenty of time for electives after 1L. While a seminar class may boost your GPA somewhat, you'll be spending time on it that could have been spent on your other classes, so you will likely be shaving that GPA boost off on the back end. Of course, this is JMO. Use your best judgment.

All that said, we had 16 hours required in the spring of 1L...so it's not impossible, just not sure it's wise.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:52 pm

worldtraveler wrote:

:?: I don't understand what a mandatory elective is. This also really depends on which class you take and how much work there is in it. Seminar classes can very a lot. I took one 1L year and wrote about 80 pages total, but I really enjoyed the class.

Mandatory elective in the sense of it used to be that spring for 1Ls was whatever 3 big courses you didn't take fall (con, crim, K's, civ pro, property, and torts), and then you had to take an additional class of your choosing. Now, since they have just replaced that class with another LR&W class, they allow the option of taking another class but it's no longer required.

LoriBelle wrote:Since 1L grades are so vital to the 2L job search, I would strongly recommend that you take only what is required and focus on nailing those classes. There is plenty of time for electives after 1L. While a seminar class may boost your GPA somewhat, you'll be spending time on it that could have been spent on your other classes, so you will likely be shaving that GPA boost off on the back end. Of course, this is JMO. Use your best judgment.

All that said, we had 16 hours required in the spring of 1L...so it's not impossible, just not sure it's wise.

This has been what i've been thinking the whole time. Anyone with a different opinion?
Last edited by Richie Tenenbaum on Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:40 pm

kalvano wrote:

But so is everyone else in your classes right? I'm wondering if there's a distinct advantage in taking less hours than some of the other people who will be in my classes.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:10 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
kalvano wrote:

But so is everyone else in your classes right? I'm wondering if there's a distinct advantage in taking less hours than some of the other people who will be in my classes.

I think that's a question only you can answer based on your knowledge of yourself.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”