Epstein Torts Casebook

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Epstein Torts Casebook

Postby slapshot01j » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:39 pm

I find I can get through large quantities of reading for any other class quickly, but Epstein's Torts casebook takes me practically 4x as long. In one chapter, there are dozens of mini-cases as opposed to the usual 3-4 long cases. Cases are rarely longer than 2 pages, and never longer than 3. Then in the notes section, he casually summarizes 6-7 squib cases in 2 or 3 sentences each. The thing is, my professor cold-calls on those cases as well. So briefing/note-taking takes forever.

Does anyone have any tips on how to better handle it? More specifically, I need a way to build the momentum I have with other books - cuz it gets broken by having to deal with a different case every 2 pages. (FTR - I dont have westlaw or lexis access yet.) I need to find a way to get through his dense casebook more quickly, cuz it tends to burn me out (and it's way to early for that!)

Any (constructive, non-condescending) tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks to all.

Re: Epstein Torts Casebook

Postby Mroberts3 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:53 pm

I've noticed this too, but it has actually made it faster to read for me. Instead of wading through 5 pages of facts, you get a condensed set of legal decisions with some commentary about how they tie together.

I make mini briefs and highlight for the main cases and then add mini briefs in class for the squib cases that we talk about. They are so small that if you get called on (and can't remember which one it is) just flip to the page and skim it. My goal is to make my notes conform to what is said in class, so I don't want a bunch of squib notes that we never mention. Often they are useful to read because they help modify the main cases, but not necessary to "prepare" for class.

Just my two cents.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”