Not understanding the cases

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
PunjabiLower

Not understanding the cases

Postby PunjabiLower » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:25 pm

Last edited by PunjabiLower on Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

inchoate_con

Re: Not understanding the cases

Postby inchoate_con » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:31 pm

What casebook and edition?

PunjabiLower

Postby PunjabiLower » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:51 pm

Last edited by PunjabiLower on Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:16 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Court-Summaries-C ... 713&sr=8-5

I often read these during 1L year, then reread the case.

Bustang

Postby Bustang » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:05 pm

Have you tried punching the case into Lexis and reading the headnote before reading the actual case?

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:27 pm

You probably should learn how to comprehend the cases, honestly -- this takes practice that you will not achieve by switching to canned briefs. If you can't comprehend the cases, chances are you will not be adequately comprehending the exam questions either (which are often variations on the case law). Canned briefs should not be there to help you understand the cases. Rather, they should be there just to save you time.

BU2013

Postby BU2013 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:31 pm

I don't know if your book includes a lot of non-case stuff, ie: history, restatements, etc... but many students in my class skip right over this stuff. It won't appear on the exams, but it will make the cases and other stuff seem a lot easier.

stocksly33

Postby stocksly33 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:04 am

PunjabiLower wrote:farnsworth 7th edition...most confusing thing ever

so I am currently using 2L and 3L notes which are great(from the same professors as me too!)...and using supplements to help me understand the material better...thats my general strategy...thoughts/opinions? I dont pay much attention in class though and am thinking of just glancing over the cases in the casebook and just getting canned briefs online...thoughts/opinions? :( my professors lecture right off powerpoint slides...and they sent those slides out online anyway....so...

I'm pretty sure the farnsworth casebook is one of, if not the most popular. i'm sure every major briefbook has an edition to keyed to your book. i use legalines for contracts. and you're lucky because the farnsworth hornbook is one of the best. i would love it if one of my casebook authors had a hornbook.

i do this (because cases are really important for this class)... read summary facts/holding/analysis from legallines, skim the lexis summary, look at a student's brief/notes from last year so i know the profs take on the case before i read it,... and all this takes about 10 mins... then i read the case and take notes in the margin.

the agree with the other posters, i think knowing how to read a case is important. but they way i do it now, i get more out of the cases when i prep myself first.
Last edited by stocksly33 on Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PunjabiLower

Postby PunjabiLower » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:06 am

BU2013 wrote:I don't know if your book includes a lot of non-case stuff, ie: history, restatements, etc... but many students in my class skip right over this stuff. It won't appear on the exams, but it will make the cases and other stuff seem a lot easier.

yeah my casebook has a lot of fluff...like one case described the history of OPEC for like 2 pages...it was the gulf line case

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”