PISSED

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: PISSED

Postby dresden doll » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:04 pm

OGR3 wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
keg411 wrote:Because supplements are the be-all-and-end-all :roll:. I'm sure your classmates don't know how to use Google either; what an advantage!


Glannon's E and E Civ Pro is the best guarded secret evar.


My Civ Pro professor made it a required book.

She's been assigning the exercises from the book throughout the semester.

I really enjoyed it when she told us last week that the answers to each question are only a few pages away. It was both wonderful and sad to see everyone's realization there were "Explanations" in the book...


My God, why couldn't I go to school with people that don't realize there are Explanations in Glannon until they're told as much?

User avatar
jdubb990
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:16 am

Re: PISSED

Postby jdubb990 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:58 pm

It really is a shitty situation when professors tell the class how to take exams, how to study, etc. On the one hand, I can understand that many teachers just want to help their students and give everyone an equal chance because they want each student to have a chance to succeed.

However, on the other hand this does not reward students who worked hard or made it a point to go out of their way to find out these things on their own.

The takeaway may be this: in the real world, a judge or a senior partner is probably not going to give you an aside on how best to do something in the court or in preparation for a law suit or case. In reality, they are probably going to expect you to cover your own ass, expect you to be mature and think ahead.

So what then is the better policy for teachers?

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7249
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: PISSED

Postby beach_terror » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:04 pm

jdubb990 wrote:However, on the other hand this does not reward students who worked hard or made it a point to go out of their way to find out these things on their own.

The takeaway may be this: in the real world, a judge or a senior partner is probably not going to give you an aside on how best to do something in the court or in preparation for a law suit or case. In reality, they are probably going to expect you to cover your own ass, expect you to be mature and think ahead.


+1. I don't mind teachers speaking generally (this is important, look to do this on exams, etc.), but the spoon-feeding that goes on sometime really irks me. It wouldn't so much if people didn't raise their hands during the spoon-feeding and ask stupid questions (so, even if it's totally irrelevant to the fact pattern, you don't want us to talk about it? Are you sure? Won't we get more points that way? Oh no? Really, interesting). :roll:

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: PISSED

Postby keg411 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:09 pm

Meh, my torts prof told everyone how to study for the midterm. Don't think it affected the curve at all.

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: PISSED

Postby vamedic03 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:39 pm

The level of douchery in this thread is ridiculous. You should be thankful that your prof is kind and caring enough to take the time to provide studying tips and exam taking advice. There is no secret out there that will give you a boost.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: PISSED

Postby traehekat » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:05 am

Atticus Falcon would be proud.

User avatar
jdubb990
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:16 am

Re: PISSED

Postby jdubb990 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:37 pm

vamedic03 wrote:The level of douchery in this thread is ridiculous. You should be thankful that your prof is kind and caring enough to take the time to provide studying tips and exam taking advice. There is no secret out there that will give you a boost.



No secret to give you a boost? No, maybe not a secret but there are plenty of resources law students have access to which have been proven effective if utilized. A great example....ding ding ding, TLS! The guides to success in law school are very helpful, and a couple of the guides written even express gratitude to the TLS guides that they utilized. There are tons of books out there, and LEEWS. Students who take the time to use this stuff should be rewarded. Students who aren't interested enough, or who don't have enough common sense...well...it's a dog eat dog world, grow up, get wiser and smarter. Professors take their advice to a level that they often shouldn't, and its not fair to those who have put in the work on their own.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: PISSED

Postby dresden doll » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:45 pm

^ if your classmates were so devoid of common sense and diligence, they wouldn't utilize those resources even after being instructed to do so - and, apparently, if your fear is any indicator, at least as effectively as you.

User avatar
jdubb990
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:16 am

Re: PISSED

Postby jdubb990 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:14 pm

I am not in fear of my classmates gaining an equal footing. I am just irritated when they are spoon-fed this advice. It should be on the individual to get this stuff. I understand many teachers have a paternalistic attitude towards their students, and I don't mind a little bit of advice, but going to in depth seems unfair to those who did so on their own time with their own effort.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: PISSED

Postby dresden doll » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:17 pm

In the midst of 1L, you should be much too busy to even consider wasting precious time with being angry on a principle over something that's supposedly no even affecting you all that much.

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: PISSED

Postby vamedic03 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:48 pm

jdubb990 wrote:I am not in fear of my classmates gaining an equal footing. I am just irritated when they are spoon-fed this advice. It should be on the individual to get this stuff. I understand many teachers have a paternalistic attitude towards their students, and I don't mind a little bit of advice, but going to in depth seems unfair to those who did so on their own time with their own effort.


Its not about paternalism, its about being a good teacher. Providing students with support and suggestions during a tough and challenging time is a positive. Maybe you should learn from your professors examples and try to support your fellow classmates rather than being a jerk.

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: PISSED

Postby vamedic03 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:51 pm

jdubb990 wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:The level of douchery in this thread is ridiculous. You should be thankful that your prof is kind and caring enough to take the time to provide studying tips and exam taking advice. There is no secret out there that will give you a boost.



No secret to give you a boost? No, maybe not a secret but there are plenty of resources law students have access to which have been proven effective if utilized. A great example....ding ding ding, TLS! The guides to success in law school are very helpful, and a couple of the guides written even express gratitude to the TLS guides that they utilized. There are tons of books out there, and LEEWS. Students who take the time to use this stuff should be rewarded. Students who aren't interested enough, or who don't have enough common sense...well...it's a dog eat dog world, grow up, get wiser and smarter. Professors take their advice to a level that they often shouldn't, and its not fair to those who have put in the work on their own.



You get rewarded for being able to master the law and write a good exam, you don't get rewarded for being a jerk. Law school does not need to be a dog-eat-dog world and you can be quite successful while helping your fellow classmates.

As to this being fair or not fair - its perfectly fair for the professor, as part of his instruction, to give exam advice. In fact, I think that's one of the hallmarks of a good professor.

Further, one of the jobs of your professors is to socialize you to the legal world. Being a professional doesn't mean being a jerk to your fellow classmates or your fellow associates. You'll get a lot further in life being a nice guy who helps his fellows classmates, associates, etc. Being a jerk means that the day you miss class, no one will send you notes. Being a nice guy means that you'll get multiple sets of notes without even having to ask.

stayway
Posts: 1275
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:38 am

Re: PISSED

Postby stayway » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:07 pm

This is getting way too out of control so I'm going to clear things up a bit about this thread's intentions.

1) I don't think my professor was unfair because of all the spoon feeding. I am just agitated by this. Because I go out of my way to look for any type of information I can use to my advantage while I KNOW some of my classmates just don't give as much shit as I do.

2) I am NOT a jerk to my classmates. You guys can think whatever but no I don't borrow all the e&es and rip pages off of the library books.

3) I don't care to get out of my way to help my classmates out because if they are confused they can go ask the damn professor themselves. Plus, I don't ask them for help.

4) Why does it matter so much that I don't want my classmates to know certain information that might help on the exam? I'm loaning my ass out to attend and to possibly land a decent job. I honestly don't want to even the playing field out at all. The 130K debt I'll have by 2013 gives me nightmares.

5) I should have known I'd get shit for making this thread.

6) This thread was supposed to be half joke/half serious.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7249
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: PISSED

Postby beach_terror » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:24 pm

A lot these opinions (while some extreme) on working collaboratively have changed my outlook some. While I was never outwardly a jerk (and nobody ever asked anything important that would allow me to even come off that way.. it was more an introverted perspective), I can see some merit in a free-flowing exchange of ideas now that I'm studying/prepping.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: shineoncrazydiamond and 12 guests