PISSED

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7250
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: PISSED

Postby beach_terror » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:56 pm

I think the both sides are letting this get a bit extreme. 1) Nobody has come up to me and asked for help 2) Nobody else is carrying around E+E's, supps, etc 3) Everyone is "clicked out" at my school, and has a group of friends to study with. It's not like people are lying in trenches on the battlefield and I'm just loling at them as I run by on my way to the finish line.

Just because I decline to actively help and engage with my classmates doesn't mean I'm not a "decent human being". I'm just another 1L who's scared shitless by the curve, the intelligence of my fellow classmates, and like many... I feel like I need any bit of an edge I can get. I'm not saying this is a rational fear, but I'm not the only one in the boat.
Last edited by beach_terror on Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: PISSED

Postby dresden doll » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:58 pm

bleedcubbieblue wrote:I am polite and friendly to everyone, people like me, but I don't go out of my way to help my peers. I'm not at a T14 school, so I need every edge I can get. My goal is to transfer from my current T2 back to a school in my home state. That is hard enough to do without holding everyone's hand and spoon feeding them my study techniques. I was just agreeing with the OP and venting a bit, sorry.


But why do you assume you'd be the one helping them out? You don't think it's possible that they have superior techniques you could use to be spoon fed with?

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: PISSED

Postby IAFG » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:08 pm

dresden doll wrote:
bleedcubbieblue wrote:I am polite and friendly to everyone, people like me, but I don't go out of my way to help my peers. I'm not at a T14 school, so I need every edge I can get. My goal is to transfer from my current T2 back to a school in my home state. That is hard enough to do without holding everyone's hand and spoon feeding them my study techniques. I was just agreeing with the OP and venting a bit, sorry.


But why do you assume you'd be the one helping them out? You don't think it's possible that they have superior techniques you could use to be spoon fed with?

seriously. a clenched fist holds less rice than an open palm.

User avatar
stocksly33
Posts: 130
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:48 pm

Re: PISSED

Postby stocksly33 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:54 pm

IAFG wrote:seriously. a clenched fist holds less rice than an open palm.


and if you want an apple without a worm, sometimes you gotta go to the tree

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: PISSED

Postby IAFG » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:59 pm

stocksly33 wrote:
IAFG wrote:seriously. a clenched fist holds less rice than an open palm.


and if you want an apple without a worm, sometimes you gotta go to the tree

Outted as urbanite; tree apples have had no screening process.

RP1983
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:31 pm

Re: PISSED

Postby RP1983 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:39 am

nooyyllib wrote:Agitated that my prof is telling the class everything you need to do in an exam.

I can see the curve morphing.

DAMN IT. Is this going to mess the curve up? What do I need to do to one up the curve?



I think everyone basically knows what to do. Spot every issue and try to conjure up every issue even if its not even remotely possible. I dont like..

User avatar
stocksly33
Posts: 130
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:48 pm

Re: PISSED

Postby stocksly33 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:01 am

IAFG wrote:
stocksly33 wrote:
IAFG wrote:seriously. a clenched fist holds less rice than an open palm.


and if you want an apple without a worm, sometimes you gotta go to the tree

Outted as urbanite; tree apples have had no screening process.


you're right. it was just something my priest used to tell me... back in the day. (*cries a little inside*)

RickyMack
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:26 am

Re: PISSED

Postby RickyMack » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:08 am

dresden doll wrote:But why do you assume you'd be the one helping them out? You don't think it's possible that they have superior techniques you could use to be spoon fed with?


I participated in a study group...it ended up with people who were lagging feeling a lot better about the material and me feeling i missed out on 3 hours of productivity. i tried to say no, but i was dragged into it after three days of refusing =/ and i did make the suggestion that we do a practice test on our own and then discuss it but they refused, instead wanting to read the fact pattern out loud together and see what we spot. i kind of wanted to attempt spotting the issues on my own rather than have someone blurt it out immediately after it was read. after my experience it seems all the success posts stating study groups were a time suck were right. as always though, ymmv.

edit* at least one of the TAs sent a few of them her 70 page outline and everyone's passing it around like its gold, our exam is closed book.

User avatar
Jackie O
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:34 am

Re: PISSED

Postby Jackie O » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:50 am

RickyMack wrote:
dresden doll wrote:But why do you assume you'd be the one helping them out? You don't think it's possible that they have superior techniques you could use to be spoon fed with?


I participated in a study group...it ended up with people who were lagging feeling a lot better about the material and me feeling i missed out on 3 hours of productivity. i tried to say no, but i was dragged into it after three days of refusing =/ and i did make the suggestion that we do a practice test on our own and then discuss it but they refused, instead wanting to read the fact pattern out loud together and see what we spot. i kind of wanted to attempt spotting the issues on my own rather than have someone blurt it out immediately after it was read. after my experience it seems all the success posts stating study groups were a time suck were right. as always though, ymmv.

edit* at least one of the TAs sent a few of them her 70 page outline and everyone's passing it around like its gold, our exam is closed book.


QF being a whiner with no balls

User avatar
Jackie O
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:34 am

Re: PISSED

Postby Jackie O » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:54 am

to the OP, that sucks if your professor is telling everyone how to take his exam, putting everyone up to speed with you with this basic information
maybe you should learn the material/be smarter

RickyMack
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:26 am

Re: PISSED

Postby RickyMack » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:54 am

Jackie O wrote:QF being a whiner with no balls


well excuseeeeeee me princess. i'm a part time student with a full time job. maybe today after 8 hours of work 2 hours in traffic 3 hours of class and 5 hours of outling i feel like taking a break to whine about stupid bullshit. QQ

either way the point wasn't: boo hoo they didn't teach me, i'm so angry i wasted my time and i'm not at fault. it was responding to the comment "what makes you think those in the study groups won't have some useful techniques for you?" its a lot more likely you won't get any good study techniques than you will get any. and the other moral of the story is if you do have any anecdotes affirming this, keep it to yourself cause it's really just useless whining.
Last edited by RickyMack on Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: PISSED

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:01 am

Jackie O wrote:to the OP, that sucks if your professor is telling everyone how to take his exam, putting everyone up to speed with you with this basic information
maybe you should learn the material/be smarter


Nah. Much easier to just complain about it.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: PISSED

Postby keg411 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:57 am

dresden doll wrote:
bleedcubbieblue wrote:I am polite and friendly to everyone, people like me, but I don't go out of my way to help my peers. I'm not at a T14 school, so I need every edge I can get. My goal is to transfer from my current T2 back to a school in my home state. That is hard enough to do without holding everyone's hand and spoon feeding them my study techniques. I was just agreeing with the OP and venting a bit, sorry.


But why do you assume you'd be the one helping them out? You don't think it's possible that they have superior techniques you could use to be spoon fed with?


<3 DD

BTW, I've pretty much given anything I've gotten to classmates who I've talked about things with/asked. None of that stuff is gold, and no one is going to know until grades come out whether what they are doing now is right or wrong.

Kobe_Teeth
Posts: 964
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 am

Re: PISSED

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:04 am

nooyyllib wrote:Agitated that my prof is telling the class everything you need to do in an exam.

I can see the curve morphing.

DAMN IT. Is this going to mess the curve up? What do I need to do to one up the curve?



I've been to three review sessions. Our profs have out right said or alluded to just about every piece of decent advice I've seen on TLS. Those three review sessions have shown me...people don't listen. Relax dude. Do your thing. Learn the BLL. Teach yourself how to take an exam. Then cross your fingers.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: PISSED

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:05 am

Kobe_Teeth wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:Agitated that my prof is telling the class everything you need to do in an exam.

I can see the curve morphing.

DAMN IT. Is this going to mess the curve up? What do I need to do to one up the curve?



I've been to three review sessions. Our profs have out right said or alluded to just about every piece of decent advice I've seen on TLS. Those three review sessions have shown me...people don't listen. Relax dude. Do your thing. Learn the BLL. Teach yourself how to take an exam. Then cross your fingers.


What is BLL?

Kobe_Teeth
Posts: 964
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 am

Re: PISSED

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:07 am

Black Letter Law. Are you being a smart ass?

I was just using BLL to essentially say "learn the material."

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: PISSED

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:10 am

Kobe_Teeth wrote:Black Letter Law.


I'm not entirely sure what that is. I go to Villanova Law, btw. Maybe we just haven't covered that yet?

Kobe_Teeth
Posts: 964
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 am

Re: PISSED

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:17 am

Helmholtz wrote:
Kobe_Teeth wrote:Black Letter Law.


I'm not entirely sure what that is. I go to Villanova Law, btw. Maybe we just haven't covered that yet?



This site is exhausting sometimes...lol.

I'm still not entirely sure what joke you're getting at or what beef you have with my post but that's fine. I have just noticed the same thing OP has noticed but I'm not sweating it.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: PISSED

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:25 am

Helmholtz wrote:
Kobe_Teeth wrote:Black Letter Law.


I'm not entirely sure what that is. I go to Villanova Law, btw. Maybe we just haven't covered that yet?


I would like to thank all of my classmates for their PM's clarifying this issue. I feel like I have a big step up now and plan to destroy the grading scale. OP, as Michael Jackson famously said in his masterpiece Bad, "Your butt is mine, gonna tell you right, gonna hurt your curve, shamone, shamone."

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: PISSED

Postby keg411 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:39 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Jackie O
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:34 am

Re: PISSED

Postby Jackie O » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:25 pm

RickyMack wrote:
Jackie O wrote:QF being a whiner with no balls


well excuseeeeeee me princess. i'm a part time student with a full time job. maybe today after 8 hours of work 2 hours in traffic 3 hours of class and 5 hours of outling i feel like taking a break to whine about stupid bullshit. QQ

either way the point wasn't: boo hoo they didn't teach me, i'm so angry i wasted my time and i'm not at fault. it was responding to the comment "what makes you think those in the study groups won't have some useful techniques for you?" its a lot more likely you won't get any good study techniques than you will get any. and the other moral of the story is if you do have any anecdotes affirming this, keep it to yourself cause it's really just useless whining.

Likewise, my 8 hours of work, 2 hours of traffic, and 3 hours of class allows me to be annoyed at whining posts

Sorry if you're my classmate, but not sorry if you're in my study group

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: PISSED

Postby traehekat » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:21 pm

Heh, we had an quick program put on by one of our professors about outlining. He told us basically how it is done, what you should do with it, etc. Basically, a lot of stuff I have heard on TLS before. He then brought up the question he knew people would be wondering - how do you differentiate yourself from the curve then?! He responded, bluntly, that most of you will not do this. Most of you will just fail to do the right things.

This was followed by possibly the best example of collective, nervous laughter I have ever heard.

User avatar
go4hls
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:18 pm

Re: PISSED

Postby go4hls » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:43 pm

This thread reminds me of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UDEtsRoXUI

beach_terror wrote: It's not like people are lying in trenches on the battlefield and I'm just loling at them as I run by on my way to the finish line. .


Also, Best line on TLS. Ever.

User avatar
OGR3
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: PISSED

Postby OGR3 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:52 pm

dresden doll wrote:
keg411 wrote:Because supplements are the be-all-and-end-all :roll:. I'm sure your classmates don't know how to use Google either; what an advantage!


Glannon's E and E Civ Pro is the best guarded secret evar.


My Civ Pro professor made it a required book.

She's been assigning the exercises from the book throughout the semester.

I really enjoyed it when she told us last week that the answers to each question are only a few pages away. It was both wonderful and sad to see everyone's realization there were "Explanations" in the book...

User avatar
goosey
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Re: PISSED

Postby goosey » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:52 pm

Glad I'm not alone..exam writing workshops make me nervous. It scares me that all those people that had no idea theye not supposed to be spewing back case facts will now write amazing exams.

I'm also torn on whether or not to go over practice exams with classmates---in all the practice I've done thus far, I've spotted issues classmates haven't. I'd like it to stay that way. On the other hand, I've heard that lots of ppl at the bottom of the class are ones that studied alone..




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ChristineBaskets, Milksteak and 4 guests