PISSED Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
MrKappus

Gold

Re: PISSED

Post by MrKappus » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:49 pm

Helmholtz wrote:I thought you were implying in your post that the curve should not change if access to information more difficult to attain than the professor simply stating it was then converted to "freely" given information (yes, it's still not free in the sense that you actually have to show up for class and listen to the professor, but you get my point). For example, let's say it takes me five hours to find information that will aid me in taking an exam, but then that same information is given in class the next day to everybody, even those people who didn't put in the work to finding that information. It seems to me that the curve shifts when virtually free access is given to information that previously did not have that free access. I think we were talking about the curve changing, not about one sole factor (i.e. access to information) deciding the curve.
I'm just not sure that, above a certain baseline level, info-access "changes" curve (that baseline being the textbook, old exams, etc.). Also, I assume we mean the same thing by "change the curve"; that is, a higher median raw exam score for the section. All I meant to say was that I thought place-on-curve derives predominantly from intelligence, and probably only a bit from from access to information. So I told OP, to ally his/her fears, that if the whole class heard the same information, then each class-member will process that info using his/her innate intelligence, and the curve each person's place on the curve would probably remain unchanged.

Edited for wrongness.
Last edited by MrKappus on Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:51 pm

Might as well get angry at the internet too.

Curse you Google!!!!!

savagecheater

Bronze

Post by savagecheater » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:28 pm

A lot of you are giving him shit but he's got something of a point.

One of my professors announced to the class,"I'm not going to say anything about supplements; you should figure out your own preferences with regard to those." A 15 min personal chat with him in his office revealed precisely which supplements he thought best suited his class; he noted that he simply prefers to reward initiative. Personally, I like that policy.

BU2013

New

Post by BU2013 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:30 pm

My prof gives us an outline. :D

BU2013

New

Post by BU2013 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:31 pm

On a serious note, I have had professors who give all the information for finals before. It generally means they have a higher and more precise expectation of how you should perform. Don't think, commit everything to memory and give it right back so they can check it off. It's a memory test for that class, not a thought experiment.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MartianManhunter

Bronze

Post by MartianManhunter » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:39 pm

nooyyllib wrote: What do I need to do to one up the curve?

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:51 pm

I had similar concerns in a few classes last year. Don't worry, most of your classmates (and probably yourself) will still find some way to fuck the exam up.

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:06 pm

Boo.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:09 pm

inchoate_con wrote:
beach_terror wrote:I don't tell my competition I'm using supplements. I'm doing my thing, they can do theirs. I won't be doing anything that could help them out. You wouldn't tell the opposing team what plays you're running, even though you're playing the same game, would you?
I don't believe Getting to Maybe is the flea flicker of law school.
It was more a blanket statement at the E&E's, Dressler's, etc. If people go to law school and don't research what it's all about then I think they should suffer for it, personally. Or at the very least, I'm not going to lose any sleep over intentionally not bringing those books to school or by not suggesting them to struggling classmates in my section.

If I wasn't being graded relative to their performances, it'd be a whole different story.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:17 pm

eandy wrote:I find it amusing that you somehow are offended that your professor is telling the class what she expects you to do on her exam.
Not to mention, just about every single law professor I've had thus far has given the class tips on how to study.

Also, do you really think your classmates wouldn't email or visit the professor for tips in case he/she said nothing in the classroom? Please. My Contracts prof was so swamped with inquiries on which supplements to read that he wound up sending class wide emails on the subject.

Get over yourself and go study instead of wasting your time steaming over commonplace stuff.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:31 pm

beach_terror wrote:
inchoate_con wrote:
beach_terror wrote:I don't tell my competition I'm using supplements. I'm doing my thing, they can do theirs. I won't be doing anything that could help them out. You wouldn't tell the opposing team what plays you're running, even though you're playing the same game, would you?
It was more a blanket statement at the E&E's, Dressler's, etc. If people go to law school and don't research what it's all about then I think they should suffer for it, personally. Or at the very least, I'm not going to lose any sleep over intentionally not bringing those books to school or by not suggesting them to struggling classmates in my section.

If I wasn't being graded relative to their performances, it'd be a whole different story.
Because supplements are the be-all-and-end-all :roll:. I'm sure your classmates don't know how to use Google either; what an advantage!

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:34 pm

keg411 wrote: Because supplements are the be-all-and-end-all :roll:. I'm sure your classmates don't know how to use Google either; what an advantage!
Glannon's E and E Civ Pro is the best guarded secret evar.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:36 pm

keg411 wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
inchoate_con wrote:

Because supplements are the be-all-and-end-all :roll:. I'm sure your classmates don't know how to use Google either; what an advantage!
I'm not saying they are at all, and if they're smart enough to look around then that's great for them (like it is for me). I'm pretty neutral to what my classmates do overall. They're published books, if they can't find them on their own then that sucks for them.
Last edited by beach_terror on Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:38 pm

OK GUYS I GET IT

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:39 pm

This back and forth strikes me as odd.

Of course people aren't going to go out of their way to help strangers. Fuck if I would give my classmates unsolicited tips. But friends in school even if they were in my section? Seems monumentally douchy to withhold from them if they are the kind that would appreciate it.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:45 pm

bk187 wrote:This back and forth strikes me as odd.

Of course people aren't going to go out of their way to help strangers. Fuck if I would give my classmates unsolicited tips. But friends in school even if they were in my section? Seems monumentally douchy to withhold from them if they are the kind that would appreciate it.
For me personally, I have a small group of people I share with like I said, but that's it.

FWIW, I am in the OP's section and was equally annoyed today because she was spoon-feeding excessively. Competitive environments do that to me in general though, because by nature I am hyper-competitive.
Last edited by beach_terror on Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:46 pm

This thread causes me to be grateful for my classmates, all of whom were more than happy to help if/when needed.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:51 pm

dresden doll wrote:This thread causes me to be grateful for my classmates, all of whom were more than happy to help if/when needed.
Looking at your avatar i dont know if YOU would help your friends

OK JK.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:59 pm

things i am doing to guarantee a competitive edge:

1) bribed library staff to keep the themostat at 60 degrees
2) switched the cafe's caffeinated and decaf coffees
3) bought out the school bookstore's entire stock of glannon civ pro supplements

as the semester wears on, i'll step it up. anyone else have tips to share?

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:01 pm

IAFG wrote:things i am doing to guarantee a competitive edge:

1) bribed library staff to keep the themostat at 60 degrees
2) switched the cafe's caffeinated and decaf coffees
3) bought out the school bookstore's entire stock of glannon civ pro supplements

as the semester wears on, i'll step it up. anyone else have tips to share?
By a huge horseshoe magnet and run it over every laptop you can find during the week before finals.

speedyj88

Bronze

Post by speedyj88 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:02 pm

nooyyllib wrote:
dresden doll wrote:This thread causes me to be grateful for my classmates, all of whom were more than happy to help if/when needed.

OK JK.
Lay off the racism.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:07 pm

speedyj88 wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:

OK JK.
Lay off the racism.
YOU need to loosen up

bleedcubbieblue

Bronze

Post by bleedcubbieblue » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:21 pm

I'm right there with you dude. A lot of people in my section don't know about supplements. People would come up to me and be like, what are you reading, that's not an assigned book, blah blah. I'd pack up really quick and read them at my house. People are always talking to me about how long it takes them to do the casebook reading and how it took two hours to write a brief for this case or that case. I pretty much just agree with them and say it took me even longer. Then last week our torts professor talks for about 15 minutes about how he expects us to use IRAC (people had never heard of it), what supplements he likes, and he has even posted the last section of the Glannon torts e & e on how to take a torts exam. I certainly feel like I did lose a bit of an edge, but I guess I just have to work even harder. I assume not everyone will heed his advice, but I def think the curve will be much tighter now :(

This site should be like fight club....

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:29 pm

bleedcubbieblue wrote:I'm right there with you dude. A lot of people in my section don't know about supplements. People would come up to me and be like, what are you reading, that's not an assigned book, blah blah. I'd pack up really quick and read them at my house. People are always talking to me about how long it takes them to do the casebook reading and how it took two hours to write a brief for this case or that case. I pretty much just agree with them and say it took me even longer. Then last week our torts professor talks for about 15 minutes about how he expects us to use IRAC (people had never heard of it), what supplements he likes, and he has even posted the last section of the Glannon torts e & e on how to take a torts exam. I certainly feel like I did lose a bit of an edge, but I guess I just have to work even harder. I assume not everyone will heed his advice, but I def think the curve will be much tighter now :(

This site should be like fight club....
Wow. I don't even go to CCN (like dresden does, I think), but no one I've met at my school is like some of the people ITT, including me. Even before I was top 5ish %, what the hell did I care if I clarified a hypo for somebody or pointed them towards a particularly useful secondary source? I mean, I understood/understand that 1L grades were important, but I also knew my place in the class would be 99.9% a factor of my own work/preparation, not how much or little I helped my classmates. Also, I'm not Gandhi, but isn't it important to be something that at least vaguely resembles a decent human being?

Sheesh.

bleedcubbieblue

Bronze

Post by bleedcubbieblue » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:41 pm

I am polite and friendly to everyone, people like me, but I don't go out of my way to help my peers. I'm not at a T14 school, so I need every edge I can get. My goal is to transfer from my current T2 back to a school in my home state. That is hard enough to do without holding everyone's hand and spoon feeding them my study techniques. I was just agreeing with the OP and venting a bit, sorry.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”