Publishing an Article in a Law Journal

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Publishing an Article in a Law Journal

Postby angiejolie » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:17 am

Hey all,
So I just completed my MA in human rights, which had a large legal component. My dissertation was primarily legal based and I am keen to get it published in a law journal, likely in a law school's international journal.

Does anyone work on their school's law review and have any tips on how to get it published?

Also, there are sooooo many law journals. Any tips on which journals to target if my article is related to human rights, international law and US Covert Actions?

Re: Publishing an Article in a Law Journal

Postby nealric » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:48 am

Just like getting a job, connections can go a long way with getting something published. Unsolicited submissions often go into a black hole. Talk to your dissertation advisor and see if he/she knows anyone. If not, talk to other profs who might. Journals are skeptical of student written pieces- it's very helpful if someone who can vouch for the article's content makes a recommendation- many journal editors aren't well equipped to evaluate the content independently and will be skeptical if the article isn't from a prof or experienced practitioner.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”