Outlining as you go Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
onthecusp

Bronze

Re: Outlining as you go

Post by onthecusp » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:19 am

dakatz wrote:
stocksly33 wrote:
abudaba wrote:
goosey wrote:would also like to add a suggestion to this that I started this week:

print out updated version of outline each week and read through it 10 minutes before class daily...I am hoping the revision helps me memorize it in a sane way. my torts exam is closed book, so Id really like to make sure I know everything---especially cases I can analogize to. Im assuming that since its closed book and most ppl dont outline until the end, there will be people that either memorize bll and just use that, or else ppl that memorize everything abt cases and dont really know how to take exams..so then I can throw some nice analogies in there and make my exam stand out. Reading through the outlines twice (or three times a week for civ pro) will probably be really good for memorizing

ps: i have no idea how ppl outline at the end of the semester...I had a hard time remembering how certain things fit together thsi past weekend because I was outlining material that was about 2 wks old
I completely agree - reading it on paper is a different experience. I usually print out every couple weeks to review and make edits by hand but never done a review before class. Thanks for the suggestion, I might give that a try
onenote has a cool feature for learning your outline... it lets you collapse/expand text. so you'll see "rule 15(a)" ... then you can quiz yourself on what the rule is... then you click expand and it will show you the rule... then you collapse and continue to the next piece of your outline. it's like digital flashcards inside your outline.
Mind sharing how that is done? Sounds like a great tool for studying
I was just thinking how cool it would be if onenote had that feature. Please share.

onthecusp

Bronze

Post by onthecusp » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:21 am

dakatz wrote:
stocksly33 wrote:
dakatz wrote:Mind sharing how that is done? Sounds like a great tool for studying
yeah, but it's kinda hard to explain... to the left of every new line there's a little button that appears. that button lets you expand and collapse all lines below it (only the lines that are inferior and under that topic tho - not the entire page). so you just set up your lines so that the line below it is the explanation of the line above it... like...

1) Pleadings
A. Rule 7
1. <here is where the text of the rule is>
2. <here are some notes about the rule>
a. <here are some exceptions>

etc.

so you collapse everything below 'Rule 7' by clicking the button to the left of it. its mostly science, but a little art.
Wow you are totally right. All I had to do was doubleclick the little box. Would never have realized that. Thanks. This will be a great way to see if I truly have this stuff memorized.
Sweet!! Now I don't have to make flash cards.

stocksly33

Bronze

Post by stocksly33 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:33 am

onthecusp wrote:Sweet!! Now I don't have to make flash cards.
yeah, it's a nice gem. Once I figured out how to do do that, i started tailoring some of my outlining so I could do the expanding/flashcard thing. Here's a thread worth checking out if you haven't already... http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=127496

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”