Not a strong correlation between hard work and good grades

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
DiscoveryDeadline

Re: Not a strong correlation between hard work and good grades

Postby DiscoveryDeadline » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:22 pm

vamedic03 wrote:Several things:

1) Typing speed is over rated for the most part. On most of my exam answers, I wrote the average # or possibly below average # of words.

2) Practice exams are important, within reason.

3) The two best things you can do:

a) GO TO CLASS (and pay attention)

b) Do your reading before class, so that you can follow along in class

4) Supplements and other stuff along those lines are overrated. The key to doing well is to do your reading, pay attention in class, take good notes, and do your professor's practice exams.

* - I do not believe that law school grades are random. While there might be a small degree of chance necessary, randomness or chance doesn't explain how the top of the class consistently performs at the top of the class.

WFW

DiscoveryDeadline

Postby DiscoveryDeadline » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:45 pm

One reason grades drop from first semester to the next isn't that they are "arbitrary," but that your classmate start to buckle down and figure it out. It's a good idea to bank those high grades first semester. Come out of the gate like a bat out of hell, because it doesn't get easier second semester.

LS grades are not arbitrary.

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:56 am

emorystud2010 wrote:Real lesson from this thread: Law school is arbitrary and 90% of us are screwed.

No, you're just imputing a different meaning to your grade because you only have one point of data in a sample. You go to Emory, so do I. I guarantee that the CivPro curve is going to be super tight because everyone and their mother has all the Freer stuff and seems to spend time actually looking at hypos for the class. I really enjoy CivPro and understand the material, but it will be much more difficult for me to get an above median grade just based on the curve. With a course like LegReg the curve could be hilariously wide because nobody knows what the fuck they're doing.

I'm not saying they're some coruscating paragon of law but my least qualified professor went Harvard undergrad magna, Harvard JD magna, and then some rando Article III clerkship I can't remember. To dismiss grades as arbitrary is stupid, idiotic, and demeaning towards your professors. What I'm trying to say is they're almost certainly smarter than you and I so to say that you don't understand it, therefore arbitrary is silly.

And if you're that kid in my CivPro class who talked about pineapple express and service who is on TLS all the time in class, I'm glad you stopped talking after the first two weeks. Keep it that way.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:59 am

Omerta wrote:coruscating paragon of law

lol i am so glad i don't go to school with you

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:30 am

IAFG wrote:

Don't act like you weren't impressed.

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:24 pm

IAFG wrote:

I'm sorry for being theatrical on an internet board devoted to neurotic people in law school and neurotic people who want to go to law school.

Auguste Estoppel

Postby Auguste Estoppel » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:53 pm

IAFG wrote:

I think you're being orthogonal here

emorystud2010

Postby emorystud2010 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:57 pm

Obvious joke. Come on man.
Last edited by emorystud2010 on Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:00 pm

Omerta wrote:I'm not saying they're some coruscating paragon of law but my least qualified professor went Harvard undergrad magna, Harvard JD magna, and then some rando Article III clerkship I can't remember. To dismiss grades as arbitrary is stupid, idiotic, and demeaning towards your professors. What I'm trying to say is they're almost certainly smarter than you and I so to say that you don't understand it, therefore arbitrary is silly.

ITT: Somebody gets called stupid through the use of fancier words.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:20 pm

emorystud2010 wrote:I think you have me confused with somebody else bc i never talked about pineapple express, but its douchey comments like this that gives Emory such a bad name, especially when in response to an obvious joke.

Let's face it though, i'm the one doing all the real damage to Emory's name. Don't try and undermine my hard work.

Cmoss

Postby Cmoss » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:03 am

thecilent wrote:
betasteve wrote:A quote that was on my dry erase board during 1L:
Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress.
-Alfred A. Montapert

ha I likes this

+1

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:38 am

Omerta wrote:And if you're that kid in my CivPro class who talked about pineapple express and service who is on TLS all the time in class, I'm glad you stopped talking after the first two weeks. Keep it that way.

LOL QF delBarco

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:39 am

romothesavior wrote:
Omerta wrote:And if you're that kid in my CivPro class who talked about pineapple express and service who is on TLS all the time in class, I'm glad you stopped talking after the first two weeks. Keep it that way.

LOL QF delBarco

Like I even know what weed smells like . . .

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:48 am

romothesavior wrote:

LOL QF delBarco

ohemghee. I wonder who that really is.

Postby 20160810 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:51 am

There is not a terribly strong correlation between hard work and "good" grades. I think if you're a good writer, do some of the reading, and tend to be awake in class, you can do allright most anywhere. That said, everyone I know with GREAT (top-5%) grades works their ass off.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:52 pm

delBarco wrote:
emorystud2010 wrote:I think you have me confused with somebody else bc i never talked about pineapple express, but its douchey comments like this that gives Emory such a bad name, especially when in response to an obvious joke.

Let's face it though, i'm the one doing all the real damage to Emory's name. Don't try and undermine my hard work.

Throw me in that category, too.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:59 pm

SBL wrote:There is not a terribly strong correlation between hard work and "good" grades. I think if you're a good writer, do some of the reading, and tend to be awake in class, you can do allright most anywhere. That said, everyone I know with GREAT (top-5%) grades works their ass off.

Sounds right to me.

chup

Postby chup » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:16 am

vamedic03 wrote:a) GO TO CLASS (and pay attention)

Honestly this is the single most important thing you can do. And take notes on pad and paper, so you don't check email/facebook constantly; exam curves would be so much tighter without the existence of gchat.

It's about working smart, not working hard.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”