Random Legal Writing Q

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
goosey

Random Legal Writing Q

Postby goosey » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:28 pm

do you capitalize "prosecution" and "defense" [ie. prosecution will argue..]

JOThompson

Re: Random Legal Writing Q

Postby JOThompson » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:33 pm

Since defendant and plaintiff aren't usually (in my limited 1L experience) capitalized, I don't think prosecution or defense would need caps either.

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:38 pm

Check out the Texas Style Manual for such questions- it's a complete guide to things like capitalization and whether you spell out numbers.

goosey

Postby goosey » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:55 pm

nealric wrote:Check out the Texas Style Manual for such questions- it's a complete guide to things like capitalization and whether you spell out numbers.

dont have access at the moment...just hoping for a quick [confirmed] response so i can finish up this memo

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:12 pm

goosey wrote:
nealric wrote:Check out the Texas Style Manual for such questions- it's a complete guide to things like capitalization and whether you spell out numbers.

dont have access at the moment...just hoping for a quick [confirmed] response so i can finish up this memo

If you're using it as a proper noun, you can (and probably should) capitalize it (e.g. Plaintiff is a citizen of the United States/Prosecution will seek the death penalty). If you have an article before it (The plaintiff is a citizen/The prosecution will seek...), you don't capitalize it. I think professors generally prefer that you use the article and refrain from using it as a proper noun though (i.e. generally use the second example). Hope that helps. (I don't think I'm wrong, but someone feel free to correct me if I am).

goosey

Postby goosey » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:05 pm

great, thanks!!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”