What's so hard about law school?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
rynabrius

Re: What's so hard about law school?

Postby rynabrius » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:05 pm

Law school isn't difficult, but it is stressful.

It's also not difficult to get into really great shape. You just need to burn more calories than you take in until you are at an optimal weight, exercise enough, and rest enough.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:17 pm

rynabrius wrote:Law school isn't difficult, but it is stressful.

I think that's a distinction a lot of people fail to draw.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:37 pm

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:07 pm

It's also not difficult to get into really great shape. You just need to burn more calories than you take in until you are at an optimal weight, exercise enough, and rest enough.

Yeah, except you are trying to get into better shape than a group of other people who are at least as athletic as you are and have been exercising and eating right as long as you have. Also, doing well in law school is hardly as formulaic as "calories in, calories out"

aheisman

Postby aheisman » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:50 pm

Last edited by aheisman on Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:49 am

aheisman wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:I’m actually really lazy myself, so… I really have no idea why most people don’t do better than I do. I don’t know, I just don’t see why people think law school is hard. It really isn’t. Compare it to some of the stuff that hard sciences majors have to learn in UG, and it’s really a joke (I started out as a hard science major and dropped that pretty quickly).

Didn't you take certain classes pass/fail? I think there's a world of difference between taking all of your classes for a grade and taking harder classes pass/fail.

1st year- no, it wasn't allowed.
2nd year- we don't really have any required classes after the 1st year, and everyone has the same number of pass/fail elections (so there's no unfair advantage there). It ussually makes more sense to pass/fail an easy class than a hard one though (because of the curve). I elected pass/fail in con law (I just hated that class), and my clinic was graded pass/fail (automatically).

chup

Postby chup » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:34 am

bball999 wrote:I don't get it. You make an outline of BLL and major concepts from class, you make a checklist of issues, show up to your test, go through your checklist for each hypo, analyze it well from each side, and you're done. Why do people do badly on law school tests? How can they screw that up?

All things being equal, the difference is clear and concise writing. Most people are shitty, unorganized writers.

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:20 pm

Figuring out how to beat your peers is the hard part. Learning the law is easy, applying it is a bit harder but still easy. It really comes down to beating the person sitting next to you.

That's what makes it hard, IMO.

rynabrius

Postby rynabrius » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:22 pm

I don't think it's necessary to think about beating your peers. I never thought about them, really (except in the negative, in that I avoided the library because I didn't want to know what others were doing). I drew inspiration from the chess maxim, "I play against pieces." Game theory is too hard. If I focus on what others are doing, I have to assume that they are focusing on what I am doing, and so I should do even more, but then they'll do more, etc. The predictable endpoint is that I just tried as hard as I could, given the constraints of time, motivation, and energy. Well, I could figure that out without thinking about my peers at all.

Also let me give another shoutout to typing speed. It really helps.

PS: Since I mostly post on these fora to feel smart while in my personal life I feel very stupid--see how I said fora not forums?? I AM EDUCATED--allow me to lighten the mood by noting that, since this is my 420th post, I am now required to toke up. Just kidding.

aheisman

Postby aheisman » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:03 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote: 1st year- no, it wasn't allowed.
2nd year- we don't really have any required classes after the 1st year, and everyone has the same number of pass/fail elections (so there's no unfair advantage there). It ussually makes more sense to pass/fail an easy class than a hard one though (because of the curve). I elected pass/fail in con law (I just hated that class), and my clinic was graded pass/fail (automatically).

I'm just saying that if you had taken pass/fail classes, while others didn't, it may not be fair to compare your GPA with theirs, especially since 1Ls at your transfer school do not get to pass/fail anything and their 1L GPA is included in their cumulative GPA. At your transfer school, the Class of 2012 and future classes only have 2 pass/fail elections. The Classes of 2011 and 2010 get to take something like 5 pass/fail, or possibly more. (I think it was up to 22 units? or 15 units?)

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:06 pm

rynabrius wrote:I don't think it's necessary to think about beating your peers.

I was just trying to say the curve is what makes it hard. Not actually thinking "how do I beat that guy. :lol:

I agree with your perspective. Worrying about waht everyone else is doing wont' help you (and could very well drive you insane).

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”