Texas students - Declaration of Intent? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
smokyroom26

Bronze

Texas students - Declaration of Intent?

Post by smokyroom26 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:44 pm

So for those who have never heard of the Declaration of Intent, law students in Texas are required to file this ghastly document that is in essence a record of everything bad you have ever done civilly, criminally, and financially. In addition to the disclosures inherent there, you must list every residence and every job/supervisor with phone number that you've ever had in the last 10 years. It *also* requires you to disclose any mental disorders you may have ever been diagnosed with (including things like bipolar disorder and serious depression, if I'm not mistaken). Plus tons of supporting docs, like an original birth certificate (not a copy), blah blah blah. It is a prerequisite for taking the bar, and it is compared against the information they find in a comprehensive background check that is more thorough and deep than the regular ones (whatever that means). And they call all your former employers to get a comprehensive evaluation of your character and moral fitness.

And for the pleasure of all this you get to pay $180. Oh, and you'll also have to be fingerprinted.

Me - I don't think I want to stay in TX, but I do realize plans change. If I file this monster past Oct. 1st, there is an additional $150 fee. As far as I can understand that is the only drawback to not filing right now.

I'm thinking about skipping it, mainly because I feel like $180 is worth a lot more to me right now than it will be in two years. Are any of you skipping it for now? 2Ls, 3Ls - your thoughts?

kalvano

Diamond

Re: Texas students - Declaration of Intent?

Post by kalvano » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:07 pm

The lady from the BLE who spoke to us said that if you don't file it on time and then amend it later, they do wonder why you didn't file it on time. Also, if they have any questions or need to investigate further, if you wait until the last minute, you could be held back from taking the bar.

philosoraptor

Silver

Post by philosoraptor » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:13 pm

Yeah, I should probably get on this. Thanks for the reminder.

smokyroom26

Bronze

Post by smokyroom26 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:23 pm

Kill me. Do not want.

smokyroom26

Bronze

Post by smokyroom26 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:24 pm

kalvano wrote:The lady from the BLE who spoke to us said that if you don't file it on time and then amend it later, they do wonder why you didn't file it on time. Also, if they have any questions or need to investigate further, if you wait until the last minute, you could be held back from taking the bar.
Was the lady who spoke to you as scary as the one who spoke to us? She was pretty hardcore. I've never been arrested ::knock on wood:: but I certainly felt like a felon by the time I walked out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:44 pm

eh...i'll just wait 3 years. 180 is worth more to me now than 330 in 3 years

smokyroom26

Bronze

Post by smokyroom26 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:47 pm

f0bolous wrote:eh...i'll just wait 3 years. 180 is worth more to me now than 330 in 3 years
That is also what I was thinking. And damn, it would really take some time. All my employers alone...ugh.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:57 pm

You must file it at least 9 months before you plan to take the bar.

rdcws000

Bronze

Post by rdcws000 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:19 pm

Actually I'm kind of stressed about it. It annoys me that they wait until the first week of classes to spring this on us, then set the deadline during the middle of the semester when we have a memo due.

I understand the importance, significance, etc. but why couldn't we have started this as soon as we committed to the school, during the summer where we were all so eager to be "doing something" related to starting law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

happy187

Bronze

Post by happy187 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:36 pm

the DOI was pretty easy, and straight forward to be honest. It looks like a lot at first but I knocked it out in about 2 hours. Longest part was calling my 6 references that can't be used in any other part of the application and updating contact info.

rdcws000

Bronze

Post by rdcws000 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:59 am

happy187 wrote:the DOI was pretty easy, and straight forward to be honest. It looks like a lot at first but I knocked it out in about 2 hours. Longest part was calling my 6 references that can't be used in any other part of the application and updating contact info.
I'm done with most of it, I just wish they would let you do it ahead of time.

The references were a pain but I finally knocked that out. I also have some juvenile record blemishes which I had to contact the juvenile court in that state and arrange for my record to be sent, etc. Lo and behold, there was something on there that I didn't disclose to the school to I had to amend my application to the school. It was a pain, but all cleared up now.

The bright side is I took the opportunity to get my juvenile record sealed, which will be done in about the next 4 weeks. The result is, I already disclosed my offenses to the school, and BLE, but when they do their extensive search it is going to come up empty.

LawSchoolWannaBe

Bronze

Post by LawSchoolWannaBe » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:52 pm

kalvano wrote:You must file it at least 9 months before you plan to take the bar.
It can take up to 270 days for the check to be completed. I'm not sure it not being completed would prevent you from taking the bar, but it would prevent you from being licensed.

stocksly33

Bronze

Post by stocksly33 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:33 pm

FYI. I was unsure of that bit about having to sign our application... since applications are online and require no signature. i called them and they said we had to just sign it anywhere on the application.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:56 pm

LawSchoolWannaBe wrote:
kalvano wrote:You must file it at least 9 months before you plan to take the bar.
It can take up to 270 days for the check to be completed. I'm not sure it not being completed would prevent you from taking the bar, but it would prevent you from being licensed.

You cannot take the bar until they certify you, according to the lady who spoke to us.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:56 pm

stocksly33 wrote:FYI. I was unsure of that bit about having to sign our application... since applications are online and require no signature. i called them and they said we had to just sign it anywhere on the application.

They also told me that, if you print it off from LSAC, the sheet that confirms electronic certification will suffice.

Bustang

Bronze

Post by Bustang » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:01 pm

I'm sending mine in tomorrow just to spite them.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:03 pm

Bustang wrote:I'm sending mine in tomorrow just to spite them.
and pay $330?

Bustang

Bronze

Post by Bustang » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:59 pm

f0bolous wrote:
Bustang wrote:I'm sending mine in tomorrow just to spite them.
and pay $330?
Postmarked by Oct 1st.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”