How I did well at a T6

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
kalvano

Re: How I did well at a T6

Postby kalvano » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:42 pm

DiscoveryDeadline wrote:
kalvano wrote:You know when people should talk in class?

1) When the professor calls on them.
2) When they have a legitimate, brief question to ask to clarify a point.

Otherwise, shut the hell up.

I would add in a non-Socratic class when the professor actually asks for volunteers.

I fold that in with being called on.

smittytron3k

Postby smittytron3k » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:19 am

IME the "dont talk in class" rule doesn't seem to hold at my school, over half the section has contributed something at this point and people genuinely say smart things more often than not. professors do a good job of integrating peoples comments (even the slightly OT ones) into the flow of the class. people generally seem to like that aspect of our section's culture, and there's extremely little of the animus to it that i see on every goddamned TLS thread.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:09 am

smittytron3k wrote:IME the "dont talk in class" rule doesn't seem to hold at my school, over half the section has contributed something at this point and people genuinely say smart things more often than not. professors do a good job of integrating peoples comments (even the slightly OT ones) into the flow of the class. people generally seem to like that aspect of our section's culture, and there's extremely little of the animus to it that i see on every goddamned TLS thread.

If everyone had contributed, either there are no gunners (unlikely), or the profs do a good job of shutting them down.

And, there is no "don't talk in class rule." That's just how gunners choose to hear "make sure your questions are genuine and relevant, and give your classmates an opportunity to talk."

Brawndo86

Postby Brawndo86 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:37 pm

#4 worked for you? My school grades exams anonymously - the professor has no idea whose exam he is reading. One of top 5 people in my class is a hardcore loner and never talks

blink

Postby blink » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:56 pm

useful post. btw, whats number 7?

Drummingreg

Postby Drummingreg » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:16 pm

blink wrote:useful post. btw, whats number 7?

I saw that too. I was hoping that there would be a joke at the end like "don't focus on specific details when reading cases...did you notice there wasn't a number 7? You're doing it wrong."

savagedm

Postby savagedm » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:20 am

Duralex wrote:
savagedm wrote:at work, no time to read all posts, where do we find a good source of firm memos? Weslaw? How?

At Martindale.com:
Home > Legal Library > Browse by Practice Area

ty

Auguste Estoppel

Postby Auguste Estoppel » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:08 am

The most substantive comment I ever made was asking my Leg/Reg professor what "orthogonal" meant.

I did mediocre in everything though

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”