How long and how often do you study a day??

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ashwini
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:45 am

How long and how often do you study a day??

Postby ashwini » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:02 am

I know each persons studying pattern is different and the amount of time needed depends on person to person and from law school to law school...But I just wanted a general idea of how much time people put into studying ....not including class time

User avatar
burtonrideclub
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:10 pm

Re: How long and how often do you study a day??

Postby burtonrideclub » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:05 am

Two and a half hours a day. That is for the reading and maybe looking over a couple supplements. Add a couple of hours on top of that if I'm working on Legal Writing assignments. I'll try to work 5-6 hours total over the weekend, usually on friday afternoon and sunday night.

It seems too early to start outlining (though I will start soon), and don't want to waste practice tests when we know about a third of the material tops.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11728
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: How long and how often do you study a day??

Postby kalvano » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:32 am

There are several threads on this already.

User avatar
Doritos
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: How long and how often do you study a day??

Postby Doritos » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:43 pm

Image

User avatar
GeePee
Posts: 1273
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: How long and how often do you study a day??

Postby GeePee » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:39 am

Doritos wrote:Image

LOL

uvauvauva
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:02 pm

Re: How long and how often do you study a day??

Postby uvauvauva » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:55 am

stop caring wtf other people are doing and concentrate on what you are doing.

FTW

User avatar
rdcws000
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: How long and how often do you study a day??

Postby rdcws000 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:35 am

Maybe OP just wants someone to talk to?

User avatar
Doritos
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: How long and how often do you study a day??

Postby Doritos » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:50 am

GeePee wrote:
Doritos wrote:image

LOL


I'm glad someone appreciated that

User avatar
mikeytwoshoes
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: How long and how often do you study a day??

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:18 pm

If you're at less than 18 hours, you're boned.

User avatar
mikeytwoshoes
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: How long and how often do you study a day??

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:25 pm

burtonrideclub wrote:Two and a half hours a day. That is for the reading and maybe looking over a couple supplements. Add a couple of hours on top of that if I'm working on Legal Writing assignments. I'll try to work 5-6 hours total over the weekend, usually on friday afternoon and sunday night.

It seems too early to start outlining (though I will start soon), and don't want to waste practice tests when we know about a third of the material tops.

Never work on Friday afternoons.* After class on Friday is a holy time. This is your time to relax and unwind. You need this to prepare for your eight-nine hour days on Saturday and Sunday.

*Finals prep and other crunch time excepted.

User avatar
GoodToBeTheKing
Posts: 296
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:34 pm

Re: How long and how often do you study a day??

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:13 pm

about 10 hours a day i am on campus...

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: How long and how often do you study a day??

Postby zeth006 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:03 pm

Cutting out all my unproductive moments of checking FB, going to the bathroom, getting a drink, etc? Probably no more than 4-5 hours.

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: How long and how often do you study a day??

Postby zeth006 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:07 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
burtonrideclub wrote:Two and a half hours a day. That is for the reading and maybe looking over a couple supplements. Add a couple of hours on top of that if I'm working on Legal Writing assignments. I'll try to work 5-6 hours total over the weekend, usually on friday afternoon and sunday night.

It seems too early to start outlining (though I will start soon), and don't want to waste practice tests when we know about a third of the material tops.

Never work on Friday afternoons.* After class on Friday is a holy time. This is your time to relax and unwind. You need this to prepare for your eight-nine hour days on Saturday and Sunday.

*Finals prep and other crunch time excepted.


Agreed. I could never understood people who say you need to be working straight through Friday/Saturday/Sunday. After 5 straight days of class and studying, I just don't have it in me to outline or read another case. I use that time to go grocery shopping, cook dinner for the next few days, do laundry, and go out at night. Jamming 7/7 days a week is probably a surefire way to burn out in no time.

Brawndo86
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:37 am

Re: How long and how often do you study a day??

Postby Brawndo86 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:11 pm

Since it's still September, I'm lucky if I read 3-4 times a week. Weekends are a deadzone with partying, college football Saturdays, and hangover Sundays. I get more serious in late October when it's time to start going through supplements.

Riles246
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: How long and how often do you study a day??

Postby Riles246 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:37 am

Part-timer here: 8 hours on Sunday and that's it. I'll brush up on the cases on the train ride in, but no serious reading can be done there.

Omerta
Posts: 381
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:47 pm

Re: How long and how often do you study a day??

Postby Omerta » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:06 am

I don't do anything Friday afternoon and Sunday afternoon. I like to have more free time during the week so I put in pretty significant hours on the weekend. 12 hours of class a week plus I averaged 4.7 hours a day of no bullshit checking gmail/facebook/whatever studying for September. Some days are 0, some are 12. I put a huge amount of time into my first legal writing assignment, so my actual study time for classes is probably lower.

I really enjoy the material but I abhor Contracts. Hopefully it will start making more sense a little later on. For people who are worried about getting burned out from studying 2-4 hours a week now, good luck in practice.

DiscoveryDeadline
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:27 pm

Re: How long and how often do you study a day??

Postby DiscoveryDeadline » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:43 am

To each his own, but I actually LIKE to put in some substantial time on Thursday/Friday.

I actually think that it prevents burnout, because then I don't feel like I'm constantly scrambling to read an hour before class.

Of course, sometimes if you read too many days ahead, you completely forget everything by Monday. I have some extremely Socratic professors, so you have to be really on top of the material when class comes about.

I don't know ... a lot of this is just by feel. I think everyone is seeking the golden key to perfect grades, and it doesn't really exist.

User avatar
RUQRU
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:32 pm

Re: How long and how often do you study a day??

Postby RUQRU » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:04 am

DiscoveryDeadline wrote:To each his own, but I actually LIKE to put in some substantial time on Thursday/Friday.

I actually think that it prevents burnout, because then I don't feel like I'm constantly scrambling to read an hour before class.

Of course, sometimes if you read too many days ahead, you completely forget everything by Monday. I have some extremely Socratic professors, so you have to be really on top of the material when class comes about.

I don't know ... a lot of this is just by feel. I think everyone is seeking the golden key to perfect grades, and it doesn't really exist.


If the final is worth +99% of your grade why are you worried about flubbing up in front of an "extremely Socratic professor"? What happens to your grade if you can't remember the name of the characters in a case? Will knowing every minute fact get you a better grade?

DiscoveryDeadline
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:27 pm

Re: How long and how often do you study a day??

Postby DiscoveryDeadline » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:41 pm

RUQRU wrote:
DiscoveryDeadline wrote:To each his own, but I actually LIKE to put in some substantial time on Thursday/Friday.

I actually think that it prevents burnout, because then I don't feel like I'm constantly scrambling to read an hour before class.

Of course, sometimes if you read too many days ahead, you completely forget everything by Monday. I have some extremely Socratic professors, so you have to be really on top of the material when class comes about.

I don't know ... a lot of this is just by feel. I think everyone is seeking the golden key to perfect grades, and it doesn't really exist.


If the final is worth +99% of your grade why are you worried about flubbing up in front of an "extremely Socratic professor"? What happens to your grade if you can't remember the name of the characters in a case? Will knowing every minute fact get you a better grade?


Good point. I should have been more clear.

The preparation isn't to cover your ass in case you get called on. It's to enable you to follow along with the discussion in the class. You can get lost in the thicket pretty quickly when you have a hide-the-ball professor running the classroom.

And the point of prepping isn't to memorize the minute facts of the case. It is to grasp the nuances of the legal reasoning. For all that we stereotype about professors grilling students on facts of the case that don't really matter, I would say 90 percent of Socratic questions are about the court's reasoning.

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: How long and how often do you study a day??

Postby zeth006 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:00 pm

DiscoveryDeadline wrote:
RUQRU wrote:
DiscoveryDeadline wrote:To each his own, but I actually LIKE to put in some substantial time on Thursday/Friday.

I actually think that it prevents burnout, because then I don't feel like I'm constantly scrambling to read an hour before class.

Of course, sometimes if you read too many days ahead, you completely forget everything by Monday. I have some extremely Socratic professors, so you have to be really on top of the material when class comes about.

I don't know ... a lot of this is just by feel. I think everyone is seeking the golden key to perfect grades, and it doesn't really exist.


If the final is worth +99% of your grade why are you worried about flubbing up in front of an "extremely Socratic professor"? What happens to your grade if you can't remember the name of the characters in a case? Will knowing every minute fact get you a better grade?


Good point. I should have been more clear.

The preparation isn't to cover your ass in case you get called on. It's to enable you to follow along with the discussion in the class. You can get lost in the thicket pretty quickly when you have a hide-the-ball professor running the classroom.

And the point of prepping isn't to memorize the minute facts of the case. It is to grasp the nuances of the legal reasoning. For all that we stereotype about professors grilling students on facts of the case that don't really matter, I would say 90 percent of Socratic questions are about the court's reasoning.


Learned that the hard way today during Civ. Didn't read the dissenting opinion which actually happened to be really important. Glad I have my supplements to explain everything clearly.

User avatar
emorystud2010
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: How long and how often do you study a day??

Postby emorystud2010 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:05 am

It can range from 30 minutes to 2 hours per day. Right now, more than that is honestly not worth the effort.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 3 guests