Holy Crap My Note/Comment Topic Just Got Preempted

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
mikeytwoshoes

Holy Crap My Note/Comment Topic Just Got Preempted

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:45 pm

I figure I can't be the only one dealing with this. I was going to propose a statute to require people who transfer TV or movies to the internet to preserve closed captioning or audio description for the blind. I was going to argue that current law did not require this because . . . and that a new statute could because . . . but I just found out that both the house and the senate have passed a version of a bill that would do that. So now my note becomes a comment on the new law. It also ensures that I'll be the first or among the first to write about a new disability rights law.

Bankhead

Re: Holy Crap My Note/Comment Topic Just Got Preempted

Postby Bankhead » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:48 pm

Sorry to hear that, must be frustrating to spend time on something that becomes moot.

EDIT: Or congratulations? I'm a bit confused.

mikeytwoshoes

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:55 pm

Bankhead wrote:Sorry to hear that, must be frustrating to spend time on something that becomes moot.

EDIT: Or congratulations? I'm a bit confused.

It sucks, but it just means that I have to approach the problem from a different angle. You can modify most topics to avoid preemption. If you find that your topic is preempted by multiple articles, you're probably fucked.

thuggishruggishbone

Postby thuggishruggishbone » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:56 am

sucks dude. i hope mine doesn't get preempted. Has anybody written an article on the happy meal ban out in Cali? I may be taking up the side of Ron "the don" McDonald if my topic gets preempted

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”