Using someone else's outlines instead of writing my own.

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
uvahooo
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:28 pm

Using someone else's outlines instead of writing my own.

Postby uvahooo » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:37 pm

Hey!

So, I am starting to outline and I have outlines of other students...

however, instead of outlining... I find that other people have written stuff better than me. Can't I just use their outlines and copy/paste stuff on my notes on the outline?

Or does it really not matter?

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Using someone else's outlines instead of writing my own.

Postby Helmholtz » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:40 pm

An editor of the law review at my T10 told me that he just found really good outlines for classes and then did some inserting/editing as class progressed for his 1L. On the other hand, some people insist that writing your own outline is the best way to learn the material.

treant985
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:07 pm

Re: Using someone else's outlines instead of writing my own.

Postby treant985 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:45 pm

I've done both and didn't really notice any diff....but I'd say make your own unless the one that someone else made is spectacular.

User avatar
LAWYER2
Posts: 576
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:15 pm

Re: Using someone else's outlines instead of writing my own.

Postby LAWYER2 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:53 pm

I would just use the shell of successful outlines and insert specific data your prof has been stressing all semester.

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: Using someone else's outlines instead of writing my own.

Postby vamedic03 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:31 pm

It depends, if outlining serves as a process for you to organize your knowledge, review, and prepare for exams, then no, you shouldn't copy someone else's outline. Personal opinion, I would never use someone else's outline. FWIW I did extremely well 1L year.

Worth noting - you only get one shot at 1L - don't try to cut corners.

Also, personal opinion - it's way, way too early to even think about outlining.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Using someone else's outlines instead of writing my own.

Postby rayiner » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:51 pm

I personally did my outlines by re-reading/skimming all the material, doing 50-page long outlines, 10-page short outlines, and 1-page checklists. On the other hand, I spent very little time on hypos/practice tests. I have a feeling that people who don't do their own outlines spend a lot of time working with the material (hypos, practice tests, etc) instead.

At the end of the day, what you need to do is synthesize the material and commit it to memory. Spend some time experimenting to see what works best for you.

Dman
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:28 am

Re: Using someone else's outlines instead of writing my own.

Postby Dman » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:59 pm

LAWYER2 wrote:I would just use the shell of successful outlines and insert specific data your prof has been stressing all semester.


This is mostly what I did. Having something to work off of gave me the initial direction to put hings in motion. As the above poster also mentioned, it really depends on your style. I personally really get a lot from working problems, so I preferred using extra time on hypos and practice exams. For reference, I was top 5% at a T2 and transferred to UCLA.

I laid out my methodology in another thread if anyone is interested:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=129566&start=25

uvahooo
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: Using someone else's outlines instead of writing my own.

Postby uvahooo » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:15 pm

Dman wrote:
LAWYER2 wrote:I would just use the shell of successful outlines and insert specific data your prof has been stressing all semester.


This is mostly what I did. Having something to work off of gave me the initial direction to put hings in motion. As the above poster also mentioned, it really depends on your style. I personally really get a lot from working problems, so I preferred using extra time on hypos and practice exams. For reference, I was top 5% at a T2 and transferred to UCLA.

I laid out my methodology in another thread if anyone is interested:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=129566&start=25


This is actually what I was planning to do. In class I have three notes up 1) reading notes 2) rando things the professor says that I think is interesting 3) and an outline.

Then at the end of class, I got back and put stuff in the outline of another student.

I know it may be too early to start outlining. But I know that I may be reoutlining anyway when I actually have another month of schooling.

Miniver
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:13 pm

Re: Using someone else's outlines instead of writing my own.

Postby Miniver » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:45 pm

...
Last edited by Miniver on Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
LAWYER2
Posts: 576
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:15 pm

Re: Using someone else's outlines instead of writing my own.

Postby LAWYER2 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:06 am

Miniver wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:Also, personal opinion - it's way, way too early to even think about outlining.

I have never understood this mentality. When I was in law school, I went to every class, took notes in an outline format, and at the end of the semester--bam--there was my outline. No further action required.

Assuming a professor isn't some kind of idiot, every topic in each class should flow logically and be well compartmentalized. If a student cannot write his notes in an outline format while in class, then the professor (or student) is doing something wrong.

That sounds great. Wish I would have started off that way.

Riles246
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: Using someone else's outlines instead of writing my own.

Postby Riles246 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:27 pm

LAWYER2 wrote:
Miniver wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:Also, personal opinion - it's way, way too early to even think about outlining.

I have never understood this mentality. When I was in law school, I went to every class, took notes in an outline format, and at the end of the semester--bam--there was my outline. No further action required.

Assuming a professor isn't some kind of idiot, every topic in each class should flow logically and be well compartmentalized. If a student cannot write his notes in an outline format while in class, then the professor (or student) is doing something wrong.

That sounds great. Wish I would have started off that way.


That's how I operate too, except I hand write. At the end of the semester, it takes 2 or 3 days to type up the handwritten outline, and thats all it takes to study.

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: Using someone else's outlines instead of writing my own.

Postby zeth006 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:51 pm

Riles246 wrote:
LAWYER2 wrote:
Miniver wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:Also, personal opinion - it's way, way too early to even think about outlining.

I have never understood this mentality. When I was in law school, I went to every class, took notes in an outline format, and at the end of the semester--bam--there was my outline. No further action required.

Assuming a professor isn't some kind of idiot, every topic in each class should flow logically and be well compartmentalized. If a student cannot write his notes in an outline format while in class, then the professor (or student) is doing something wrong.

That sounds great. Wish I would have started off that way.


That's how I operate too, except I hand write. At the end of the semester, it takes 2 or 3 days to type up the handwritten outline, and thats all it takes to study.



2-3 days? I must be doing something wrong.

But then again, I started out with a crappy set of in-class notes and briefs and it's taking me some time to synthesize the notes+briefs, super-skim some of my cases, and fact-check using my supplements. My 4 weeks worth of Crim stuff took a few days to do. I guess you could say most of my time was spent reviewing material

But the contracts outline is turning out to be a real pain in the ass. Prof likes to dedicate maybe 1/2 of his lectures to discussing theory, philosophy, and old cases that have little relevance to modern contract law. Hard to tell what he will/won't test on, but the old outlines I have are a lifesaver.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: butlerraider1, dabigchina, Downstairs_Mixup, Google Adsense [Bot], greengrass, LawHammer, marshall1 and 20 guests