Anyone here not read the casebook and get A's?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
bleedcubbieblue

Anyone here not read the casebook and get A's?

Postby bleedcubbieblue » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:41 pm

I'm taking a short break from reading my torts casebook because about halfway through the case I kept wondering to myself, why am I even reading this? I can just look over an outline from last years class that tells me what the BLL is and what we are going to be discussing that day, and then read the corresponding section of the E & E to explain and apply it in greater depth. At this point I'm pretty much just skimming the cases and getting the briefs online anyways, but my question remains, is it highly unlikely that one could never pick up a casebook and still get A's in 1L classes?

ChattTNdt

Re: Anyone here not read the casebook and get A's?

Postby ChattTNdt » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:45 pm

The answer to your question that remains is "Yes."
Last edited by ChattTNdt on Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JG Hall

Postby JG Hall » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:46 pm

casebooks are, for the most part, just ways to line our profs' pockets with royalties.
Last edited by JG Hall on Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charles Barkley

Postby Charles Barkley » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:03 pm

You have to open your casebook at least once to receive an A in a class.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:06 pm

http://www.top-law-schools.com/success- ... chool.html

This is about the best answer to your question imaginable.

RP1983

Postby RP1983 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:35 pm

When I asked this same question, all the nerds came out and ganged up on me.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:37 pm

RP1983 wrote:When I asked this same question, all the nerds came out and ganged up on me.

In real life or on TLS?

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:38 pm

If by "not read," you mean "never opened the book," then I can't help you.

If by "not read" you mean "skipped a ton of reading," then yeah. It happens all the time.

uzpakalis

Postby uzpakalis » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:50 pm

Last edited by uzpakalis on Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RP1983

Postby RP1983 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:41 am

BruceWayne wrote:
RP1983 wrote:When I asked this same question, all the nerds came out and ganged up on me.

In real life or on TLS?

TLS ofcourse.

SplitterPride

Postby SplitterPride » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:11 am

The topic seems to me one that has more to do with ego than anything: can u get an A without cracking a casebook? or the college equivalent: can u get an A without showing up to any lectures?

The answer is notably yes. For some, it works out brilliantly. The problem lies in that we don't know how many did worse as a result of not opening the casebooks. Because...well...failure is not something ppl write abt much. On the other hand, we have a few anecdotal evidence of ppl doing fine without it. Whats the ratio of people succeeding with/without it? I dont know.

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:15 am

Many exam hypotheticals are a variation of the case law. I don't know if this matters to you.

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:28 pm

Yeah I've pulled it off. Booked the course actually.

Do I advice this? Not at all. Read your casebook.

MisterChase

Postby MisterChase » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:39 pm

Even if you aced the exams, you'll still be shooting yourself in the foot: Learning how to decipher and analyze cases is a necessary skill that employers will expect you to be proficient at. Once you make your supervising attorney read a case because you didn't comprehend or read it carefully enough, you're fucked. You don't want to be that guy.

Person

Postby Person » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:19 am

Had an awesome outline, so never read for class. Got an A-. I was reasonably happy.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:30 am

bleedcubbieblue wrote:I'm taking a short break from reading my torts casebook because about halfway through the case I kept wondering to myself, why am I even reading this? I can just look over an outline from last years class that tells me what the BLL is and what we are going to be discussing that day, and then read the corresponding section of the E & E to explain and apply it in greater depth. At this point I'm pretty much just skimming the cases and getting the briefs online anyways, but my question remains, is it highly unlikely that one could never pick up a casebook and still get A's in 1L classes?

Of course man, the casebook is definitely not necessary. Law school is graded on a curve so the key is defense. You need to psych out your opponents. I usually throw powder in the air and clap my hands together like Lebron James when I'm entering the classroom.

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:55 am

MisterChase wrote:Even if you aced the exams, you'll still be shooting yourself in the foot: Learning how to decipher and analyze cases is a necessary skill that employers will expect you to be proficient at. Once you make your supervising attorney read a case because you didn't comprehend or read it carefully enough, you're fucked. You don't want to be that guy.

Even if you ace the exams without reading the cases, you'd still have Legal research and writing to teach you that skill. To have straight A's and not learn that skill would be one hell of a challenge.

GummiBear

Postby GummiBear » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:03 pm

I once had a 2 credit class where the professor assigned like 85 pages of reading a class, so I protested by not reading/doing any work.

In the days preceding, I just read a huge ass commercial outline and pulled an A- in the class. Didn't read a single page out of the book.

treant985

Postby treant985 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:48 pm

Reading the casebook notes after each case tends to be the most helpful part for me. Professors love to use exam questions that mirror real-life cases that weren't covered in-depth in class but were mentioned in the book nonetheless. If nothing else, they give you a lot of extra topics/cases to mention in essay exams.

Talon

Postby Talon » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:12 pm

Whether or not you need to know the cases well depends on the type of exam your professor gives. Reading the cases is not necessary to give you a good understanding of the law, but it will give you more knowledge to draw on when you are making arguments on exams. If an exam involves very lengthy fact patterns that implicate a ton of issues, knowing only the black letter law might be sufficient for doing well if you can apply it quickly and thoroughly. By contrast, if the exam involves shorter fact patterns that only implicate one or two issues, applying only the black letter law probably won't be enough to distinguish yourself. You'll have to make stronger arguments than your peers, which often involves comparing your facts to the facts of other cases, discussing the policy behind other case holdings and how resolution of the issue you face will or will not further those policy goals, and so on.

In general, if the law in a course comes mainly from the Supreme Court (like in constitutional law and, to a lesser extent, civil procedure) you must read the cases. By contrast, if the law comes mainly from state courts in 50 different states (like in torts and contracts), the cases might not matter as much. But if you can't get a hold of your professor's old exams you should certainly read the case book.

Postby 20160810 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:18 pm

I didn't open my torts casebook once, thought I rocked the final, and ended up getting a B+ because it was an easy final and I got curvepwnt. The lesson here (if there is one)? Sure, you can do OK without doing the reading, but why handicap yourself?

I'd never advise anyone to waste a ton of time going balls-out with supplements, but if you feel like learning from my mistake, don't blow off all the reading.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:19 pm

I did..once

Pip

Postby Pip » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:57 pm

Didn't even bother to buy the case book for crim law, business law, intellectual property or corporate finance nor did I go to any of the classes more than twice, the first day to see what it was going to be and the last day to find out any little tidbits about the test... Just used Nutshells, managed to get Honors in all of them...

Not only bought the book but actually read the damn thing and diligently went to every class for a class in structured commercial transactions and ended up having to do a project after the final to bring a low pass up to a pass, the only class I ever basically bombed, and the only one I ever went to, read up on and studied like a mother for...

So for me, I was better off just using Nutshells and not even bothering with classes than actually reading and going to them.

But everyone is different, for me it was a case of over analyzing the questions that led to my near demise, you have to know yourself to determine if you can get by that way or not.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”