Does it matter which hornbook I get?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Cardboardbox

Does it matter which hornbook I get?

Postby Cardboardbox » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:23 pm

My torts professor suggested getting either Prosser Keeton on Torts or Law of Torts by Dobbs.

Does it really matter which I get? Should I bother trying to find out which is better when professors suggest more than one book or will either of these serve me fine?

JG Hall

Re: Does it matter which hornbook I get?

Postby JG Hall » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:36 pm

Yes. If you buy the wrong one you will fail out of law school.

mikeytwoshoes

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:54 pm

JG Hall wrote:Yes. If you buy the wrong one you will fail out of law school.

I'm proposing Mr. Hall for membership in the cynical law students' secret society. Do I have a second?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:56 pm

Cardboardbox wrote:My torts professor suggested getting either Prosser Keeton on Torts or Law of Torts by Dobbs.

Does it really matter which I get? Should I bother trying to find out which is better when professors suggest more than one book or will either of these serve me fine?

Ask your teacher. It matters who your teacher likes. And we have no idea.

mikeytwoshoes

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:05 pm

rad law wrote:
Cardboardbox wrote:My torts professor suggested getting either Prosser Keeton on Torts or Law of Torts by Dobbs.

Since she already said she likes both, she probably won't say more. Profs hate to recommend supplements. PK is the classic torts hornbook. Dobbs is the modern torts hornbook. If you buy Dobbs, you won't see it cited in opinions.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:07 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
rad law wrote:

Since she already said she likes both, she probably won't say more. Profs hate to recommend supplements. PK is the classic torts hornbook. Dobbs is the modern torts hornbook. If you buy Dobbs, you won't see it cited in opinions.

Fair enough.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:10 pm

I bought the Prosser & Keeton book (not that you need to actually purchase it. I'm sure your library has a copy. I only bought it because I found a new copy for 10 bucks). I always see the book mentioned in court opinions, referenced by my professor, and I know of the reputation of Prosser as such a persuasive authority in torts. I find the book to be very clear and informative. I'd be much more comfortable with the older classic, than a newer book that isn't as well established.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:27 pm

Whichever is in the library?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”