Law Prof, taking Q's for a bit

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
LawProfessor123

Law Prof, taking Q's for a bit

Postby LawProfessor123 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:04 am

I just want to hear myself talk, I suppose, but in any event I'm happy to answer Q's for anyone else up early.

Jackie O

Re: Law Prof, taking Q's for a bit

Postby Jackie O » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:07 am

a/s/l?

Jackie O

Postby Jackie O » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:08 am

just kidding.

Are there a lot of professors on here? Should I promptly delete my account?

LawProfessor123

Postby LawProfessor123 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:09 am

Jackie O wrote:just kidding.

Are there a lot of professors on here? Should I promptly delete my account?

I have no idea. Even if there were, how would anyone recognize you? And why would any law professor think it odd that you are posting on a site for law students?

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:39 am

What is the best way for a student to go about cultivating your respect/friendship without seeming creepy (asking questions after class etc)? Is it common for you to get to know your students?

LawProfessor123

Postby LawProfessor123 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:00 am

piccolittle wrote:What is the best way for a student to go about cultivating your respect/friendship without seeming creepy (asking questions after class etc)? Is it common for you to get to know your students?

Yes. Easiest way is to show an interest in the material and ask questions about the material (without being a gunner, though). I like the subject I teach, and I am automatically inclined to like students who also like the subject matter. But when students come up to me to ask a question to get an edge on another student or to "beat the curve," it's obvious.

Every research assistant I've ever had has been drawn from students who email me good questions, ask good questions during class, and so on.

FutureApplicant

Postby FutureApplicant » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:08 am

[Couldn't figure out how to fully delete]
Last edited by FutureApplicant on Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:45 am

What skills/abilities do you wish your students had before they hit your class? Suggested areas to work on before starting 1l?

BendAndSnap

Postby BendAndSnap » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:58 am

I'm interested to hear what the prof says to that question too. As a 2L, I can say that you should probably brush up on your econ b/c almost every substantive (non-procedural) class deals with economics in some way.

LawProfessor123

Postby LawProfessor123 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:05 am

I don't think anything beyond a good UG education is necessary.

I wouldn't recommend excessive preparation before starting 1L, except I think everyone should try to read:

1) the first hundred pages or so of the Civ Pro E&E
2) All of Delaney's Learning Legal Reasoning (do the exercises!)
3) The first 100 or so pages of Getting to Maybe.

There are of course endless debates on this topic, but I think studying an entire course during the summer is a waste of time. I could see some sense in learning the basics of your courses (say, the first 3-5 chapters in an E&E), but beyond that, it seems like a waste of time.

homestyle28 wrote:What skills/abilities do you wish your students had before they hit your class? Suggested areas to work on before starting 1l?

LawProfessor123

Postby LawProfessor123 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:07 am

Some knowledge of microeconomics likely helps with Contracts, Torts, and Antitrust. But even if you don't know anything about economics, the level of detail that these courses reach isn't so insurmountable that you are screwed by not taking these courses.

All of that being said, every good citizen should take a few economics courses, as well as introductory courses in statistics, psychology, and political science.

BendAndSnap wrote:I'm interested to hear what the prof says to that question too. As a 2L, I can say that you should probably brush up on your econ b/c almost every substantive (non-procedural) class deals with economics in some way.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”