what am i suppose to remember from reading all these cases?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
amadeus.vc

what am i suppose to remember from reading all these cases?

Postby amadeus.vc » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:15 am

just been reading so many cases for civ pro, torts, and contracts, i have just been noting down the issue, holding, and black-letter law of each case. is this enough? question to 2Ls and 3Ls, what should i remember from the hundreds of cases that you get over the semester?

also, for civ pro, should i try to know the procedural history of each case, what about contracts and torts?

thanks.

LAWYER2

Re: what am i suppose to remember from reading all these cases?

Postby LAWYER2 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:38 pm

you should be remembering the specific rule that has been contextualized for that specific class or week of class.
For me I have noticed how the cases are methodically aligned with the notes and lectures. If we're learning consideration in contracts class and the three elements that make it up IE. Non-illusory-bargained for exchange-of legal detriment, I see the reading reflecting the rules taught in class. I notice the first case may deal with an indefinite term contract and whether or not this constitutes a illusory contract or not. Then the next case will focus on promises involving "satisfactory" conditions.................they continue straight down the outline, all the way through to Legal Detriment and pre-existing legal duty
I have started to see the over-all pattern of the cases assigned to read. Before reading cases, I review the notes, then read the case-brief, get the rule, then read the case with an anticipation of what to look for and what to extrapolate from it.
By no means have I mastered the reading, but I will say that the "big picture" should ALWAYS be in your mind while reading them

Riles246

Postby Riles246 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:15 pm

LAWYER2 wrote:you should be remembering the specific rule that has been contextualized for that specific class or week of class.
For me I have noticed how the cases are methodically aligned with the notes and lectures. If we're learning consideration in contracts class and the three elements that make it up IE. Non-illusory-bargained for exchange-of legal detriment, I see the reading reflecting the rules taught in class. I notice the first case may deal with an indefinite term contract and whether or not this constitutes a illusory contract or not. Then the next case will focus on promises involving "satisfactory" conditions.................they continue straight down the outline, all the way through to Legal Detriment and pre-existing legal duty
I have started to see the over-all pattern of the cases assigned to read. Before reading cases, I review the notes, then read the case-brief, get the rule, then read the case with an anticipation of what to look for and what to extrapolate from it.
By no means have I mastered the reading, but I will say that the "big picture" should ALWAYS be in your mind while reading them

^This. At the end of the semester, your outline will have one or two lines for each case, so the ultimate takeaway would be those one or two lines (aka the rule). The part that doesn't go into your outline is how the court reasoned to get to those takeaways- that's what you learn from reading the cases. You don't need to write it down because after 100 or so cases, you'll understand the reasoning behind most cases and you'll be doing it without realizing.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:35 pm

To expand:

The guide should give you an idea in that in short, you're here to do well on the exam. Don't get caught up in memorizing details that don't help you understand where the case lies in terms of developing case law.

savagedm

Postby savagedm » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:03 pm

zeth006 wrote:

To expand:

The guide should give you an idea in that in short, you're here to do well on the exam. Don't get caught up in memorizing details that don't help you understand where the case lies in terms of developing case law.

Yeah, I figured that link would /thread.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”