do editions matter for E&E/supps

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
PunjabiLower
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:07 pm

do editions matter for E&E/supps

Postby PunjabiLower » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:23 am

So I am currently using the following supplements for my classes:

Contracts:
E&E(4th edition)
maybe chirelstein(with the boat on the cover)

Torts:
E&E(only 2nd edition...it doesn't even cover all the intentional torts!)

Criminal Law:
Principles of Criminal Law Hornbook by LaFave
Dressler's Understanding Crim Law(paperback and 4TH edition with the pillar on the left side of the cover)

Are these even the latest editions? Do editions really matter? I am mainly concerned about my E&E for torts which is edition 2. Does edition 3 or 4 cover more of intentional torts or more of something I really need to learn?

User avatar
worldtraveler
Posts: 7669
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 am

Re: do editions matter for E&E/supps

Postby worldtraveler » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:40 am

This question has been answered about 10,000 times. You can also check what the latest edition is on Amazon. We also can't answer what you really need to know without knowing what your torts class covers.

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: do editions matter for E&E/supps

Postby General Tso » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:06 am

worldtraveler wrote:This question has been answered about 10,000 times. You can also check what the latest edition is on Amazon. We also can't answer what you really need to know without knowing what your torts class covers.


agree but it's hard to do searches now with the search function disabled.

Punjabi - old editions are usually fine...I get used ones unless the difference in cost b/w new and used is less than $10.

Kobe_Teeth
Posts: 964
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 am

Re: do editions matter for E&E/supps

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:12 am

This question has been asked several thousand times.

I heard you need to buy the updated Civ Pro E&E because of some changes that were made. The others I would presume you could get an edition late and be fine.

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: do editions matter for E&E/supps

Postby zeth006 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:50 am

From what I've read in the past few months:

Crim: No. Buy used for "Understanding Criminal Law" and commercial outlines.

Contracts: No.

Civ Pro: YES, ESPECIALLY in the post Iqpal/Krupski/Twombly world. I personally am wary now that I've learned that my 2008 E&E omits the "swinging pendulum" toward stricter pleading standards. The Glannon Guide to Civ Pro seems to be updated for 2009 and contains a reference to Twombly and the uncertainty that now appears to accompany pleading rules

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: do editions matter for E&E/supps

Postby 20160810 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:17 am

Eh, IMO you're going to learn about Twombly and Iqbal if you're awake in class, so you probably don't need an E&E for that. I didn't read any of the E&Es anyhow, I just used the questions/answers in them to study for finals, so I don't see any reason why someone strapped for cash couldn't go with older editions.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: do editions matter for E&E/supps

Postby 20160810 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:19 am

zeth006 wrote:From what I've read in the past few months:

Crim: No. Buy used for "Understanding Criminal Law" and commercial outlines.

Contracts: No.

Civ Pro: YES, ESPECIALLY in the post Iqpal/Krupski/Twombly world. I personally am wary now that I've learned that my 2008 E&E omits the "swinging pendulum" toward stricter pleading standards. The Glannon Guide to Civ Pro seems to be updated for 2009 and contains a reference to Twombly and the uncertainty that now appears to accompany pleading rules

Also, unless your class was REALLY different than mine, I don't know why you'd need a supplement for crim. It's pretty darn easy. Your time and money would probably be better spent mastering civ pro and Ks (especially since, at my school at least, those two classes are 5-unit whereas crim is 3).

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: do editions matter for E&E/supps

Postby zeth006 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:09 pm

SBL wrote:
zeth006 wrote:From what I've read in the past few months:

Crim: No. Buy used for "Understanding Criminal Law" and commercial outlines.

Contracts: No.

Civ Pro: YES, ESPECIALLY in the post Iqpal/Krupski/Twombly world. I personally am wary now that I've learned that my 2008 E&E omits the "swinging pendulum" toward stricter pleading standards. The Glannon Guide to Civ Pro seems to be updated for 2009 and contains a reference to Twombly and the uncertainty that now appears to accompany pleading rules

Also, unless your class was REALLY different than mine, I don't know why you'd need a supplement for crim. It's pretty darn easy. Your time and money would probably be better spent mastering civ pro and Ks (especially since, at my school at least, those two classes are 5-unit whereas crim is 3).


You're probably right. Crim's not all that hard. But (at least for me) as the amount of info piles up, I'm trying to make sure I'm not missing any important points along the way. My notes aren't exactly the best.

jkay
Posts: 399
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 2:47 pm

Re: do editions matter for E&E/supps

Postby jkay » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:32 pm

SBL wrote:
zeth006 wrote:I don't know why you'd need a supplement for crim. It's pretty darn easy. Your time and money would probably be better spent mastering civ pro and Ks (especially since, at my school at least, those two classes are 5-unit whereas crim is 3).


Do you have a grade distribution chart for the previous few years? We do, and I am still trying to understand how crim is the hardest class with the widest grade distribution, but it is.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: do editions matter for E&E/supps

Postby romothesavior » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:31 pm

OP, you ended up matriculating to a law school?

User avatar
mikeytwoshoes
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: do editions matter for E&E/supps

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:39 pm

Congratulations on creating a novel and useful thread.

No one ever talked about this shit before.

PunjabiLower
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: do editions matter for E&E/supps

Postby PunjabiLower » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:27 pm

romothesavior wrote:OP, you ended up matriculating to a law school?


yep...why?

PunjabiLower
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: do editions matter for E&E/supps

Postby PunjabiLower » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:28 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:Congratulations on creating a novel and useful thread.

No one ever talked about this shit before.


if it reaches 10 posts and people are still talking and asking questions...i consider it a success...ur cute though




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: freekick, Yahoo [Bot] and 9 guests