Should I start reading hornbooks

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Veyron

Should I start reading hornbooks

Postby Veyron » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:13 pm

I feel like I am doing pretty well at extracting the rules from cases. Still a good idea to start reading hornbooks?

dakatz

Re: Should I start reading hornbooks

Postby dakatz » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:20 pm

Veyron wrote:I feel like I am doing pretty well at extracting the rules from cases. Still a good idea to start reading hornbooks?

Can never hurt to read the relevant hornbook sections assuming you have the time to do so. By reading them, I feel like I have a great overview of the subject before I go to class to discuss it. Sure, the hornbooks go into far more detail than you will ever need, but all the basics are in there and pretty clearly spelled out. Also, they have a million footnotes and case references if you want to find some cases that deal with the issues at hand.

The worst way to use these books (and I see people doing this already), is reading them cover to cover and writing/typing everything in the book into your notes. This will make it impossible to extract the really important points. Just go right to the hornbook sections that corresponds to what you are going over in class and nothing more.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:50 pm

Veyron wrote:I feel like I am doing pretty well at extracting the rules from cases. Still a good idea to start reading hornbooks?

Why? If you are getting what you are supposed to get out of the reading, all the hornbook will do is give you a ton of info you won't be required to know.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:22 am

dakatz wrote:

The worst way to use these books (and I see people doing this already), is reading them cover to cover and writing/typing everything in the book into your notes. This will make it impossible to extract the really important points. Just go right to the hornbook sections that corresponds to what you are going over in class and nothing more.

Sounds like something I'm having to do. Group members are pushing for outlines for all our classes to be finished by Saturday.

Hodgy

Postby Hodgy » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:33 am

zeth006 wrote:
dakatz wrote:

Sounds like something I'm having to do. Group members are pushing for outlines for all our classes to be finished by Saturday.

Hahahahaha, what?

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:37 pm

Hodgy wrote:
zeth006 wrote:
dakatz wrote:

Hahahahaha, what?

Already did that for one of my classes. Not sure how on Earth I'm finishing the other two without using 2 older ones.

let/them/eat/cake

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:45 pm

Hodgy wrote:
zeth006 wrote:
dakatz wrote:

Hahahahaha, what?

+1...what? the? F?

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:36 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:+1...what? the? F?

That was my reaction too. Again, no way on Earth I'm getting it done without some extra coffee and old outlines.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:41 pm

zeth006 wrote:

That was my reaction too. Again, no way on Earth I'm getting it done without some extra coffee and old outlines.
... I think you've misinterpreted why these people are mystified.

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:57 pm

zeth006 wrote:
dakatz wrote:

Haha what is it, week 5?? Put this in the Gunner Stories thread, priceless

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:01 pm

What's wrong with begining to outline at this point?

chrisokc

Postby chrisokc » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:19 pm

Veyron wrote:What's wrong with begining to outline at this point?

Nothing is wrong with that, but an above poster indicated that at least a few people at his or her school will have ALL their outlines FINISHED by this weekend.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:32 pm

chrisokc wrote:

Nothing is wrong with that, but an above poster indicated that at least a few people at his or her school will have ALL their outlines FINISHED by this weekend.

Don't waste time outlining right now. Do your reading so you can sound as smart as chrisokc did today when he was suddenly thrust into the spotlight in criminal law.

chrisokc

Postby chrisokc » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:43 pm

kalvano wrote:
chrisokc wrote:

Don't waste time outlining right now. Do your reading so you can sound as smart as chrisokc did today when he was suddenly thrust into the spotlight in criminal law.

I only hope I keep getting cases like that one.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:43 pm

chrisokc wrote:

Say wut? This sounds stupid, what is the value of outlining when you haven't even gone over the material in class?

charlesjd

Postby charlesjd » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:57 pm

Last edited by charlesjd on Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:16 pm

LOL @ this thread

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:41 pm

Is it just me or is my class (co 2013) the most gunner heavy class ever? Based off of these threads I'm starting to think that it is going to be even harder than it otherwise would be to get a good 1L class rank....

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:47 pm

BruceWayne wrote:Is it just me or is my class (co 2013) the most gunner heavy class ever? Based off of these threads I'm starting to think that it is going to be even harder than it otherwise would be to get a good 1L class rank....

These people are helping us out. Have fun burning out in October. :lol:

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:48 pm

BruceWayne wrote:Is it just me or is my class (co 2013) the most gunner heavy class ever? Based off of these threads I'm starting to think that it is going to be even harder than it otherwise would be to get a good 1L class rank....

Remember a few things:

1. TLS is naturally going to have more people who are "gunning" more intensely than the general population. Selection bias.

2. "Gunning" =/= doing well in law school.

But it might be true that ITE is causing a more competitive law school environment. Given that people can only experience one first year of law school, though, this would be a difficult claim to assess and thus is not worth worrying about.

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:50 pm

zeth006 wrote:
dakatz wrote:

You mean outlines up to this point - right? right?!?!?!

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:17 am

stratocophic wrote:
zeth006 wrote:

... I think you've misinterpreted why these people are mystified.

I know. I was somewhat flabbergasted by my group member. The other guy didn't object, so I cracked under group pressure.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:18 am

Kobe_Teeth wrote:
zeth006 wrote:
dakatz wrote:

You mean outlines up to this point - right? right?!?!?!

Yes, up to this point. It'd be nearly unrealistic if not impossible to have outlines completed for the entire semester when the professors may be switching their focus from the previous years.'

Postby 20160810 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:15 am

:shock:

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:58 am

SBL wrote::shock:

Awww c'mon! It's not that bad!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”